Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

We've tried 3 or 4 different infant nail clippers. This one has its pros & cons.

I was excited about the magnifying glass, but it doesn't help. It's cheap plastic, gets fogged/scratched easily, and doesn't really magnify much.

Also, there is no guard on the clippers to prevent cutting skin or the quick. The best infant clippers, in my opinion, have a guard to prevent cutting too much.

The biggest design flaw in this is that the pin keeps falling out - and it almost impossible to get back in (I've had to do this twice). If you own (or are buying) these clippers, do yourself a HUGE favor - put a dab of superglue or even clear nail polish on both sides of the pin (at the head of the clippers). It is not welded in there or attached in any way - it will definitely fall out after use.

Finally, we found NO clippers that work for babies younger than 2 months. Don't bother looking - you just have to bite off the nails with your teeth. After 2 months, we used a variety of clippers (different ones for fingers, toes, thumbs, whether she's asleep or moving around, etc).

I also use the First Years Red Cross Sure-Grip Nail Clippers. They have a guard & are safer to use. But you have to read the instructions (or watch a Youtube on how to use them) - most people who have reported problems just haven't read the instructions.

The best clippers we found have a guard (like the Sure-Grip), but are a no-name brand we found at a church rummage sale.

Hope this information helps. Good luck!
55 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Apart from the ratings, we picked this clipper for our baby because of the magnifying glass. We quickly discovered that it sounds good in theory, but really didn't work very well! Don't buy this because of the magnifying glass. I still give it 5 stars because its primary purpose is cutting nails.

However.... the blades on this make for a crisp, even, smooth and sharp cut every time. The blades are even, so that means when you press down, it clips whatever nail is between the blades with a clean, satisfying snip. No hanging nails that you have to go back and clean up.

The cutting action is so good, I don't bother using my own adult nail clippers any more.

By the way for newborns, especially tiny ones, it doesn't matter what product you have, it's a difficult, almost terrifying thing to attempt to cut their nails! Do it with lots of light and for good measure, a decent amount of caffeine.
on October 22, 2009
THE GOOD:

*Works well for babies 2 months and older - Currently works really well at clipping my baby's nails (9 wk old baby).

THE BAD:

*Magnifying glass is irrelevant - I was really looking forward to this product because of the magnifying glass feature but surprisingly it didn't help that much in cutting my 6wk old baby's very small and thin nails (at the time).

*Not for newborns - IMO, This nail clipper is best to use after 2 months of age.

*Suggestion for change in product design - Not sure if it's possible for the makers to do this... but, I think making it so the cutting blades set position is much closer together would be a good idea. It will reduce the time and effort spent trying to target the nail.. also make it easier to use on newborns.

OVERALL:

*I should have stuck with the baby clippers I got (part of a grooming set) as a gift which is virtually identical to this product minus the magnifying glass but it works which is why it gets 3 stars! :)
on June 1, 2009
The clippers are very comfortable and I managed to trim my baby's nails with them. The magnifying glass is a good feature. I wish those came with a little light as well so I can trim her nails at night when she is sound asleep. But none the less these are good for it.
My baby is 2 months old and this is the first time I found a product that I can manage for the job.
I give it 5 stars.
review image
on August 9, 2015
These broke on the second use. The pin connecting the hinge just completely snapped! The magnifying "lens" is a cheap piece of plastic that made it harder to see. I ended up buying the Safety 1st Sleepy Baby Nail Clipper instead and am much happier with it.
on January 12, 2012
These nail clippers are very frustrating to use. The rounded rubber handle prevents the clippers from closing properly unless the top and bottom are lined up perfectly. I removed the "magnifying glass" because it wasn't useful. I also used a knife to remove much of the rubber on the sides but still didn't think the clippers were worth keeping because they were not very sharp. Overall, a poor design.
on March 22, 2011
I love these clippers so much that I own 3 pairs. One for each of my kids room and one for the bathroom. I never use the magnify glass feature (makes my eyes crazy), but the size and comfort of the clippers fits very well in my hand. The clippers aren't too small and are easy to use without slipping like other brands I have tried. I have a newborn and a 4 year old and these clippers work well for both.
on January 25, 2016
I usually use Safety 1st Nail Clippers for our 1 & 2 year-old. Went on vacation and forgot our baby nail cutters so bought this brand and was very disappointed. The cutter was cheap and seemed dull because I had to press really hard to cut. They also left the nails jagged compared to the other nail cutter I normally use and I use the exact same cutting technique I use with the other ones. Also found the magnifying glass annoying as it was in the way while the kids were squirming. Pros are that the magnifying glass is removable and it works...just not well.
review image
on July 11, 2015
The idea of having the magnifying glass on clippers was great. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me (not sure if it's designed for right handed people only, but it was completely useless to me) when I received the clippers I opened it and when I tried to use them on my newborn (just getting them ready to actually do the clipping) I noticed some resistance to which I looked at the clippers only to see that the little "pin" (if you will) holding the clippers together wasn't inserted correctly In fact it was almost completely out. What does that mean? Brand new, out of packaged item was defective. When I tried to close it back (to put it away in hopes of salvaging the situation later) the pin fell off.. Making my clippers become a three piece puzzle. Only then did I notice that not only was my "pin" not correctly placed through the clippers but it was actually bent. Buy this product at your own risk, inspect it. Maybe mine was just defective but there is no way of returning it for me (I had thrown away origianal packaging and it's in pieces now) and to top it all off I was unable to use it once. No point keeping it, so threw it away.
on January 12, 2016
I don't think the magnifying glass is super helpful since your child's hands will never stay still long for you to get a good look at them anyway. But the clippers do their job well enough. Now if they came with an extra pair of hands to immobilize the child whilst you attempt to cut their razor-sharp fingernails then I would give them five stars.