5.0 out of 5 stars Easily switch from breast to bottle and back!
Published on February 4, 2009 by Katy E.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag.
Published on March 19, 2009 by Connie

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily switch from breast to bottle and back!, February 4, 2009
Katy E. (So. Cal, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Years 3 Pack Breastflow Bottle, 9 Ounce (Baby Product)
The 2 most important things for me were reducing air swallowed and easy transition between breast and bottle. I tried Adiri and Avent bottles, but the both, even with slowest flow nipples, choked my son with too much milk. With the Breast flow he controls how much or how little he gets in his mouth. Also my son would grasp the tip of my nipple instead of my whole areola following use of either the Avent or the Adiri...ouch, which he does not do with the Breast flow bottles! The Avent would be my second choice, they are a slower flow than the Adiri and because the Adiri bottles have no lip around the nipple so when my son released the nipple milk spills all over the bottle and you have a sticky mess! plus if you don't get the bottom on just right it ends up everywhere and the valve doesn't work correctly...there are 3 pieces but it really is not that much trouble...and we don't have a dish washer...

5.0 out of 5 stars Mimics breastfeeding best, July 12, 2009
I have been very happy with the performance of the BreastFlow bottles. I too had started out using Avent bottles after hearing rave reviews of them when I was still pregnant. However, I found that the Avent nipples basically poured and dumped the milk into my daughter's mouth; she would go through 4 ounces in 4 minutes, wearing about half an ounce on her bib. Then when she returned to breastfeed later, she'd have a very disorganized suck from nipple confusion.
These BreastFlow bottles and their unique (though uncomplicated) nipples mimic breastfeeding so much better that she'll even take a bottle from me. We have no more problems alternating between breast and bottle. It now takes her about 10-12 minutes to finish a 4 oz bottle, sometimes up to 15 minutes, which is about the same duration she spends breastfeeding. She doesn't end up wearing most of her meal, either.
Overall, I would recommend this to any breastfeeding mother who has to offer her baby a bottle. Even the caregivers at my daughter's daycare were impressed with the performance of the BreastFlow system.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag., March 19, 2009
Connie (Deer Creek Mesa, CO) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My baby had to supplement almost from the start due to breastfeeding supply problems. We started using a bottle at about 3 wks of age. I bought about 10 different types of bottles trying to find one that he could successfully draw milk from. Most, including this one, were too hard for him to get anything out of. I finally had some success with the cheapy-cheap-cheap Gerber bottle and nipple I found at the supermarket.

Now that he's older, approaching 10 wks of age, the Gerber bottle and nipple is much too easy for him and he glugs and crushes the nipple with the strength of his suck. The same is true for his Green to Grow, Medela, and Evenflo Purely Comfi nipples. So my quest now is to find bottles that have firm enough nipples that he doesn't squish them with his suck and also to find bottles/nipples with appropriate flow rates.

I have revisited some of the bottles that were inappropriate when he was 3 wks old. This bottle has turned out to be the winner of the group.

Pros:
- Good flow speed, not too fast, not too slow.
- Broad nipple base is hard for the boy to flatten with his strong suck
- Broad nipple base helps the boy retain some of his breastfeeding chops, as we continue to try and nurse the few times a day my supply will allow for.

Cons:
- Frequent leaks. This bottle's nipple-within-a-nipple design means the chamber between the outer and inner nipple fills with milk, which is fine. But when you set the bottle down, that milk drains back downward, ideally back into the bottle. Often (but not always), unfortunately, on its way back down into the bottle, the formula leaks out thru the threads where you screw the nipple collar onto the bottle. If that makes any sense. This is true even if you carefully align the two nipples properly.

My main comment about this bottle is that it's a good aid in maintaining breastfeeding skills but if you find your baby doesn't like it at first, hang onto it. He/she may grow into it like my baby has. As with so many things, what's in favor one week is never the same the following week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped baby learn to breastfeed!, December 2, 2011
My son was a preemie, so he was only given a bottle at first in the NICU. I was really disappointed because everything I read said that this would cause nipple confusion/preference, and I had planned to breastfeed my son. Well, nipple confusion is exactly what happened! When I would try to breastfeed, he would become frustrated because it was hard work and milk didn't immediately pour into his mouth like it did with a bottle. So once he reached his due date, I did some online research and came across the Breastflow bottles. Because they mimic milk letdown AND force the baby to use the same technique as breastfeeding (compression and sucking) my son actually took to breastfeeding! He is now 5 months old and I breastfeed him exclusively, with the exception of one bottle a day (to keep him used to using one in case I'm away).

Pros:
- Helped baby get used to the technique needed for breastfeeding
- Baby easily transitions between this bottle and breastfeeding
- Wide bottle makes it easier to clean with a bottle brush

Cons:
- Bottles tend to leak if nipple is not properly assembled and screwed on just right (can be frustrating when you have to keep taking the bottle away from crying, hungry baby to try and "fix" it)
- More parts to wash since there is a nipple within a nipple
- Bottle is an odd shape with a wide opening, so it will not fit onto a breast pump

Overall, I think this is a great product and I definitely recommend for every breastfeeding mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great experience with these for 10 months now!!, April 5, 2012
I really hope those of you that rated this bottle one star or even two stars due to the bottle leaking and/or the milk getting "trapped" in the nipple reservoir would learn to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that came with the bottles!! My daughter is 10 months old now and mostly breastfed but we use these bottles and have NEVER had a problem with the bottle leaking. It's very easy to screw the blue "ring" on crooked so make sure it is done properly and matches up with the "threads" on the top of the bottle. And for those of you that say milk gets trapped inbetween the two nipples and is wasted....there are little tabs that you squeeze together that will allow ALL of the milk in the nipple area to deposit BACK INTO THE BOTTLE. It just annoyed me to read about wasted milk, when it is obvious no one read the directions. We LOVE these and so does our daughter! I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars first years breastflow bottles are awesome!, March 13, 2009
gi-lo (orange county, california) - See all my reviews
i have tried avent, dr. brown's, you name it, i have bought them. it was only until i tried first year's breastflow bottle that my baby finally was happy to continue w/my breastfeeding and switch over to the bottle at the same time. its designed to help w/moms who breastfeed and bottle feed at the same time. my baby will not take to any other bottle besides this bottle and she loves it and so do i. i highly recommend this bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for breastfeeding supplementation, December 22, 2010
My son was exclusively nursed for 2 months. I had a lot of trouble getting him to drink from a bottle. This bottle was slow flowing so he did not choke. Also the wide base nipple allows him to have the same latch when eating from this as he does when he nurses. The actual nipple part is also short, more like "the real thing".
The only two negatives to this bottle is the double nipple system makes an extra piece to clean.
The other thing is the numbers measuring the ounces are off and come off easily. I ended up using a pump bottle to measure the ounces and pouring it into the breastflow bottle. Then I would use a permanent marker to mark ounces. This system also needs to be touched up every few weeks. It is important to be aware of this flaw because if you are using these measurements to mix formula, you may be mixing the formula too concentrated or dilute.
Overall this product saved me. I couldn't get my son to take any other bottle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bottles!, September 30, 2009
We bought these bottles so my husband could feed our son at night during his shift. I had read some reviews complaining about cleaning all the parts, but the extra time spent cleaning is definitely worth it. My son didn't have any trouble taking to the nipple on this bottle, and I strongly believe it's due to the unique design of the nipple. He places his mouth around the entire nipple, as if it were my breast, and eats without interruption. Also, he has very little spit up after feeding, and I attribute this to him not taking in excess air while swallowing.

In terms of my son taking the bottle and my breast, there have not been any issues with this. He will take from the bottle during my husband's feedings, then hours later I can breastfeed with ease.

I'm only giving 4/5 stars, though, because sometimes the cap doesn't form a tight seal. After you screw on the cap, hold the bottle up to make sure the cap is secured straight. It may seem like it's screwed on correctly, but when you tip the bottle over, you'll notice a slight leak. Unscrewing/rescrewing the cap will fix this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for breastfeeding babies that WILL NOT take bottles, January 16, 2013
My infant son was exclusively breastfeed since birth and we were needing to start him on bottles (at around 4 weeks) to prepare him for daycare (beginning around 10 weeks). Unlike my first 2 children, he did not accept any bottle we gave him. I tried numerous bottles (Medela, Medela Calma, Avent original, Avent natural, Similac) but none worked. I had multiple people try feeding him while I ran out on errands but again no luck. He only took about 1/2 oz over his first 3 days of daycare. This was really making me worry. I saw good reviews of this product but had difficulty locating a physical store to purchase them at (manufacturer's website was not correct). Finally found it at KMart but at a higher price than online at Amazon. After a couple of days he's now up to about 14oz during the 10 hrs he's at daycare. I highly recommend these bottles for breastfeed infants that are not wanting to take bottles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for use with nipple shield nursing, July 27, 2012
I had orignally purchased Avent bottles that work with my pump, however my daughter would not take them at all. Due to poor latch, I have to use a nipple shield when I nurse which is a different sensation for baby that regular nursing. I was told to try the breastflow bottles because the double nipple had a similar feel for nursing with a nipple shield. My baby immediately latched and took the bottle from anyone who gave it to her no matter where I was. I did not have to leave the room or the house and I am able to give her the bottle also with no frustrations. I was skeptical because of the reviews about frustrations with milk trapped between the nipples and leaks. However, if you read in the little booklet that comes with the bottle - they are meant to work that way and The First Years has designed the bottle with "release tabs" inside the outer nipple. When you squeeze the tabs it aligns holes for the milk to flow back into the bottle. It works easily and quickly. Also, the outer nipple is meant to collapse just as the breast does when baby is nursing. When you squeeze the release tabs, make sure the outer nipple returns to its original filled out form or yes there may be leaks. Another thing that I have loved about this bottle is that the nipple is shorter than most. For my daughter is was great because she would gag on the nipple of the other bottles due to them being so long. If you're hesitant, buy one and try it. They are fairly inexpensive compared to many popular bottles. For us, they were a life saver and made giving a bottle SO much easier and enjoyable for everyone!

The First Years 3 Pack Breastflow Bottle, 9 Ounce