1,284 Reviews

I have a 2 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. I've gone through 5 other strollers, including a Peg and a Combi. I chose to purchase this one to have a convenient, truly lightweight stroller with a 5 point harness. If it's not 5 point, it simply doesn't do its job in restraining my busy children.

I just received this stroller after ordering twice and having...
Published on February 25, 2010 by Jessica Lundgren

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have gotten another "Jet"
I purchased this stroller because we had to leave our "The First Years Jet" at home when I went to live with family while my husband was deployed. I absolutely loved the Jet, but I thought the Ignite would be slightly better (more comfortable ride etc.) because of the price difference/description.
Unfortunately, the canopy does not adjust (at all) like the one on...
Published on June 25, 2010 by Megan

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have gotten another "Jet", June 25, 2010
Unfortunately, the canopy does not adjust (at all) like the one on the Jet version. The description should be changed because it states it has a "fully adjustable canopy"....unless you consider "fully adjustable" the fact that you can open and close it!
We have an extremely pale child, so it was one of the major selling points for me. Unfortunately, I do not have time to order the Jet and return the Ignite, so we will just have to improvise!
**Except for the canopy** the pros and cons here also describe "The First Years Jet" version we started with:

Pros:

- looks very nice and well built (the Khaki color is attractive and great for warmer/extremely sunny climates)

- is VERY easy to push and turns quickly
- +TALL HANDLES+ and great design keep me (5'7") my husband (5'10") and my father (6'1") from having to bend while walking or kick the wheels like in most small strollers!
- the *5-point* harness keeps my active little guy from trying to play with the wheels while moving like in other small strollers!
- the ride is nice for both child and parent
- the seat has more cushion (a bit more on Ignite than Jet). Other small inexpensive strollers usually just have a board on the bottom with some fabric over it.
- the recline is far enough back for sleeping/resting children.
- VERY easy to assemble...(maybe 5 minutes if you include the unwrapping time) just pop on the wheels and snap the canopy on, and you're good to go!
- super light and easy to fold/unfold and store.
- does not take up much space in the car.
- great price (Jet was about $20 less).
- nice little parent console - can hold some extra toys, snacks, etc.
- storage on bottom holds a small (size of a large purse) diaper bag and the ergo carrier easily.

Cons:

- Canopy does not adjust (on Ignite)
- Storage on bottom is not very easy to access due to the frame criss-cross in back so you have to get creative sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fabulously cheap convenience stroller that I don't kick!!!, February 25, 2010

I just received this stroller after ordering twice and having it delayed in shipment. I was a little concerned to order as it isn't available in stores and there are no reviews since it is brand new. But I am pleasantly surprised. First off the only assembly is snapping on the 4 wheels and snapping the sun shade into place which takes all of 5 minutes.

It is tall enough for me to comfortably push around without having to awkwardly bend forward to avoid kicking the wheels, and no stooping as the handles fit me well (I'm 5'7"). Yay!! The wheels are foam with a little give, but not as cushy as air. I doubt this stroller will work for off road, but will do fine on pavement.

I took my 4 year old for a test stroll and she is 39 pounds and 43 inches tall. She comfortably fit in it with the harness on the middle position so there is some room for her to grow. It rolls relatively smoothly though the recline doesn't recline that far back; I'm okay with that since my kids never sleep on the go. It has a parent console that includes a zippered pouch and cup holder. I stuck a water bottle in it just fine, but it may not be suitable for a Big Gulp. There are also 2 small mesh pouches on either side of the seat, presumably for things like pacis and sippy cups. There is also a small storage space under the seat, and I think it can fit a SMALL diaper bag or a few coats and books.

I chose this stroller over the First Years Jet stroller for $40 simply because I could get it in stock faster. I also like the khaki color because we live in San Antonio where it is ridiculously hot and sunny. The sun canopy is adequate though not giant.

The stroller appears well built. Even if it falls apart in one year, I'd just buy another since it's so stinkin' cheap. Thanks First Years for finally creating an inexpensive but comfortable umbrella stroller. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Sure I Made the Right Choice!, April 4, 2010
I did a lot of reading and searching for just the right stroller now that we are out of the "baby" phase.

My checklist included: must recline, have 5 point harness (I have a daredevil who has not yet met a 3 point harness he can't defeat), parent tray, work for BOTH my boys (a 3 yr old and a nearly 1 yr old) and have a basket.

Pros:
My biggest PRO is that it goes up to 50 lbs. My 3 yr old is 35lbs, which is the weight limit on most lightweight strollers.

Reclines just enough to allow sleeping without the head bob.

5 point harness keeps my younger son in the seat!

Has several height adjustments for the harness.

Good size sun shade.

Has a foot rest.

Parent tray!

Very lightweight.

Basket holds just enough, without being too large or too small (I hang my diaper bag over the handles).

The material (at least up where the parent tray is) is liquid resistant--water beaded up when I spilled.

The little pouches on the side hold a sippy, or snack cup with ease. Also holds toys well. :)

Cons:

My boys have really long torso's and my 3 yr old's head is almost at the top. This isn't a huge deal to me though, and doesn't outweigh the pros. Next year, he probably won't be able to sit in it with the sun shade over him and he probably won't be able to lay back in it anymore, but by then, he won't need to. :)

I would (and have) recommended this stroller to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than your average umbrella stroller, August 13, 2011
First things first- this is an UMBRELLA STROLLER! If you are looking for a fancy stroller that has a full recline and a huge storage basket then you are not looking for an umbrella stroller- you are looking for a light weight standard stroller. If you are looking for a sleek, stylish umbrella stroller with a parent tray and a slight recline then keep reading for more info.

I spent several weeks (not days!) comparing strollers in stores and reading reviews online before deciding on The First Years Ignite Stroller. I was looking for something a little sturdier than the $15 cheapo umbrella stroller I already own to use for our upcoming trip to Walt Disney World. I loved the Chicco Liteway but just could not justify spending over $100 on an "umbrella" stroller. I also looked at the Chicco Ct0.6, The First Years Jet Stroller, the Jeep All Weather Umbrella stroller, and the Maclaren Volo. Reasons why I decided on the Ignite:

1) The Price is Right: The price of the Ignite is comparable to most of the other strollers (with the exception of the Liteway and the Volo) yet has a lot more "extra" features such as parent tray and recline. The parent tray (or lack there of) is one of the biggest complaints against all the other strollers except the Jet. You have to spend extra money to buy a separate parent organizer/tray for the other strollers. The Jeep has a parent cup holder and saddle bags but I definitely prefer the parent tray on the Ignite.

2) Recline: Recline is deep enough that my little one's head is not slumped over when sleeping. It's not as great as I would like but is about the same as the Ct0.6 and way better than the Jet. The Jeep and the Volo do not even have a recline! In fact, most umbrella strollers do not have a recline. If you are looking for a full recline you are going to have to cough up the big bucks for the Chicco Liteway.

3) Restraints: A good reason for getting the Ignite is the 5pt harness and adjustable crotch strap. The crotch strap on the Ct0.6 has had some very bad reviews since they recently changed the design. Most of the 2011 reviews are very negative about the straps. The Jeep All Weather only has a 3pt harness vs the 5pt harness on the Ignite and my little wiggle worm needs all the extra restraint he can get!

4) Canopy: People have complained about the canopy on the Ignite and while I do agree it is a pain that it is not adjustable I just bring a light blanket or towel to drape over the top/sides to add a little extra shade. It is bigger than most of the other strollers in the same price range, especially the Jeep. This stroller is not really meant for an all day stroll in the sun anyway so if we are going to be out for a long walk in the sun I use my jogging stroller.

5) Light weight but not flimsy: While it is lighter than a standard stroller it is definitely heavier than the cheap umbrella stroller you can get for $15. I took it for a test drive over grass, loose gravel, and uneven pavement and as long as the front wheels are locked it seemed pretty sturdy.

6) Fashionable: I ordered the black stripe which is mostly black with red trim and very thin white pinstripe on the seat. It looks like a much more expensive stroller then the $50+ I paid for it.
Over all I am very happy with this stroller.

The reason this is not a 5 Star Review
1) Bottom Basket: The design of the back support makes it difficult to get to the bottom basket. I understand the bars are there for support so that the stroller can have a higher weight capacity but it is hard to get anything thicker than a small lunch box to fit between the bars/seat back.

2) Cannot adjust Canopy: The canopy is not adjustable on the Ignite but is on the Jet. If they can make it adjustable on the Jet they should be able to do so on the Ignite as well.

3) Lock: When folded the lock to hold the stroller in place is under the canopy and kind of tricky to find. The canopy always gets stuck on the hook when I unfold the stroller.

4) Dirty Canopy: The canopy and tires touch when folded. I figured out that if you do lock the front tires in the forward position and lay the stroller on its side they do not touch. It can be annoying to do this everytime but it has made a huge difference in keeping the canopy clean.

These are all minor things that I am willing to put up with because of all the other great things that I got for my money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a 48" 5 yr old., February 3, 2012
E. Back (IL United States) - See all my reviews
My 5-yr old daughter is tall for her age (48" & about 48 lbs) and she outgrew basic strollers when she was 3. I converted my MasterCycle bike trailer into a stroller w/a swival wheel & pushbar. It had a weight limit of 100 lbs & could seat 2 kids. The last stroller I'd need, or so I thought. We are planning a trip to Disney World in April for 4 days, and after surfing the Disney forums, I knew I needed an umbrella stroller for my daughter while there, as my MasterCycle would be to hefty & wide. Disney's hard-plastic single strollers rent for $14/day. I searched online for a stroller that would fit a tall child & not break my bank. After reading reviews and doing research, I bought the Ignite Stroller (it was $42.40).

It arrived last night. Super easy setup. LOVE that it fits a tall child. She sat in it with the canopy open and she had about 1-2" between her head & the canopy. When she put her feet on the footrest, her lap was pretty flat. I know that she will be walking most of the time while at Disney, so I plan to strap my backpack into the seat when she is walking. But when she needs a rest, I'm confident this stroller will provide her (& me) with the comfort needed.

04/25/12.......Went to Disney World and the stroller survived & did wonderfully. For the majority of the trip, my daughter walked and the stroller carried our backpack (medicine bag, change of clothes, snacks, maps,....). However there were 3 occasions that she was in it. One was shen she fell asleep in it during the fireworks at Magic Kingdom. Second was leaving out of Epcot at the end of the day. The third was when watching a parade and it gave her a seat w/shade. It was super easy getting in & out of the van, on & off the trams, and rolled smoothly. Exactly what we needed for the trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignite vs Jet, January 27, 2011
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stroller especially the brown color with pink polka dots. We bought this stroller for our 2 year old daughter. It handles great, reclines enough, the basket is good and the parent organizer is awesome. The only thing I didn't like is the canopy doesn't rotate down. We added a $12 brown Fisher Price snack pod(drink and snack holder) from Target to the side and it is perfect!! We slide her little toddler backpack over a handle and off we go! We love it so much we sold the Graco travel system. This stroller is truly the best of both worlds!!

I have both the dot ignite and navy jet......unfortunately I owned the ignite first, so I was spoiled. But the jet is a nice stroller and better than a small umbrella stroller or the evenflo xsport we had.

The Ignite has much sturdier fabric overall and a more structured back to the seat, there is actually a metal x behind the fabric,(which makes it more flat back like your full size strollers) an inch wider seat base, almost 2 inch taller back of seat, reclines 5 inches and the locking front wheels for terrain.....it has one parent cup holder and a zippered pouch with 2 mesh pockets, but its shade does not rotate down, solid plastic grip handles, and 14 lb...I thought it was a great buy at $50 for the convenience of a big stroller in a small stroller. We LOVE IT!!!!

The jet's fabric feels much flimsier, the shade is smaller, but Does rotate down, seat is 2 inches smaller, it has 3 very visible vertical back of seat supports without the extra metal x support,(which makes a more rounded back like the umbrella strollers) the front wheels do NOT lock for terrain and don't have as much of a "tread" on them, the parent tray does have 4 spots for drinks with a smaller zippered pouch and 4 small mesh pockets, foam covered handles, the handles at a little different angle and are not as far away from the wheels as the ignite so you may end up kicking it, and 11 lbs.........

Both have the same under storage, locking back wheels, 5 pt harness, and variable recline.......overall the ignite is just made better especially if you are looking for that 50lb!!!!

As long as you don't mind the shade not rotating down, I would go with the ignite! If you are looking for a bigger kid....go ignite!

Another great buy that makes these stroller even better is a fisher price or safe fit snack pod (depends on where you buy BRU, walmart, target)......it fits perfectly on the side for the kids to have easy access to a snack and drink for $10-12.

Update.......we sold our jet and ordered the new black/royal blue ignite......2 happy kids!!

UPDATE. I gave up one of our ignites when my son turned 6. Just didn't use it the last time we went on vacation and he was officially 50lb. We still use it for hospital visits for our 5 year old daughter now that is 37lb and 41 inches tall. The harness is a little tight, but we used it last time because she was coming out of sedation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cobblestone in Italy? No problem!, June 12, 2011
I have two 97 percentile by weight children whom I took on a family trip to Italy. I was debating whether or not we should bring a stroller because my kids are ages 3 (48 pounds) and 6 (60 pounds) which is above or at most stroller weight limits. Also, there are lots of stairs and uneven walkways in Italy. I decided to buy this stroller because of the reviews and BOY WAS I EVER GLAD! This stroller, although heavy to carry was perfect for the following reasons:

1 - ease of pushing (handles were high enough, no wheel-kicking)
2 - off-road capabilities (cobblestone was not a problem)
3 - ease of collapsing and putting together (getting on and off trains quickly was not a problem)

Because we did so much walking, our 60 pound 6 year-old got a ride occasionally. Every once-in-awhile, both kids rode! This tested the limits and the frame groaned a bit but, hey, it's still in one piece. This is the first review of anything I have ever written because it made a great trip to Italy even more fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's the whole scoop on this one! Plus, great for tall kids and parents!, August 26, 2012
This review may be a little long but I'm writing it from the point of view of the kind of review I wish I would have found when searching for a suitable umbrella stroller! I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter. She's 43 pounds and a whopping 44 inches tall! We don't use a stroller on a regular basis anymore but needed an umbrella stroller for our trip to Disney World. She may be as tall as some 6 years olds but she is only 4 and still needs an umbrella stroller in crowded places like airports and amusement parks for when she gets exhausted or when I need to make sure that I can get things done without having eyes behind my head and a set of extra arms (I'm a single mom so it's always just the 2 of us traveling). I went into stores and tried out a bunch of umbrella strollers but none were comfortable for her height. Her weight is not an issue since she's well under the 50 pound limit and some companies even make umbrella strollers for kids up to 70 pounds but the height seems to be an issue since seat backs are too short and there isn't enough leg room. I just couldn't find anything in the stores that worked for us and anything that came remotely close was over $200. I just could not justify spending that kind of money for an umbrella stroller for a 4 1/2 year old that I would use maybe three times a year for just another year or so. The store sales people all told me to look online and gave me a couple of suggestions for brands. I looked them up and they ranged from $150 to $250. They aren't carried in any stores so I couldn't try them out first and would just have to take the chance of ordering and seeing what happened and risking having to return. We all know what a pain that is! I decided to give it some more thought on which one to order and I'm so glad I did because I unexpectedly ran into the First Years Ignite stroller! I went to pick up some toiletries at the big local store that has everything. The one which starts and ends with a "T" and has the trademark red and white bullseye. I never thought I would find my perfect umbrella stroller there since I've tried all of the big baby stores already. I fugured I would check the stroller aisle just in case and I'm so happy I did! At first glance, I noticed that the seat back seemed higher than others so right away I sat my daughter in the Ignite stroller and was very surprised to see that she was OK in there. The very top of the stroller seat lines up with the middle of her head. In other strollers, the top of the seat back lined up with her upper back and she had no where to rest her head. If she tried putting her head back, it would just fall back into the empty space between the seat back and canopy. Not an issue with this stroller! She still even had a little room on top, from the top of her head to the canopy, even when the canopy was extended. The second challenge was to see if her legs would be comfortable once she put her feet up on the the foot rest. That part was OK too! Of course, she has to bend her long legs (as we all do when we sit) but she's comfortable. In other strollers, her knees pratically touched her chest and she was cramped up when she placed them on the footrest. Based on those two things alone, I would have purchased this stroller and even paid more for it! However, this stroller just got better and better! It's also great for a taller parent! I'm 5 ft. 9 in. tall and never hunch when pushing this stroller. I think it would be hunch-free for a parent up to 6 ft. tall, in my opinion. Also, it has a great recline for an umbrella stroller. The seat back reclines all the way down to the back of the X bar and you can choose to recline all the way to the bar (don't worry, the bar doesn't contact the kids head) or recline anywhere in between. It is not a full infant recline but it's a good amount for comfy nap or lounge. Another plus is the 6 inch double wheels. This is amazing for this price since even many of the more expensive umbrella strollers have smaller single wheels. The seat has a decent amount of padding for comfort and a 5 point harness. You cannot disconnect the top harness part like you can on some other strollers by unclipping it from the lap portion. I wish I could disconnect the top harness part because my 4 1/2 year old is fine with just the lap part and doesn't need the 5 pt harness anymore but I can't compalin for this price! She doesn't mind so it's cool with me. In addition to the decent size basket on the bottom, this stroller also comes with a parent caddy attached to the handle bars, with a nice size zipper compartment (will fit a wallet, keys, phone, snack, etc. It's about the size of a typical fanny pack that some wear around their waist) and cup holder. This feature is awesome since few offer this convenience without making an additional purpose. The handle bars have no foam padding over the plastic and there is no seperate cupholder for the child but, again, at this price and all the great features that do work for me I can't complain. The removable canopy is not huge and cannot be tilted to adjust where you cover but it does the job well enough of keeping the sun out from above and off of my daughter's head and most of her face. There is no extra piece of material or flap that hangs on the back part of the seat/canopy so that space does remain open. In other words, you can see the back of your child's head through the opening in the back if the caopy is extended. I don't mind this and think it makes for great air flow. At only 14 pounds, it's great for travel and although it does not have a carry strap once folded, it is easy to carry by holding the x-bar part of the frame. I find it a breeze to open and close so no problems there. For anyone with a taller child, this is definitely one you should try! You will be hard pressed to find an umbrella stroller in this price range and with all of these features that will accomodate a taller child. I am thrilled with this and believe it is worth 3 or even 4 times the price that other brands charge for less than what the First Years Ignite stroller offers! This is an epic win for us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it... perfect for Disney!, June 14, 2010
CT (Neoga, IL, US) - See all my reviews
Bought this stoller specifically for a Disney World trip. Didn't want to rent a stroller as I knew we would be wheeling my 3yr old (almost 4# out sleeping and I didn't want to carry him out. I do think the instruction manual state a 40 in height limit although it does have a 50lb weight limit. Regardless... yes his head barely touched the bottom of the umbrella when it was folded but it didn't really impact him at all. Still plan on putting him in it when we can probably until he reaches the full weight limit. Side pockets were awesome... managed to hold his water bottle on one side and his sisters on the other while I had room for mine on the parent tray and then camera fit nicely in the zip pouch. Was difficult to get stuff in and out of the basket at the bottom but it was still handly as we shoved a soft sided cooler in it with all of our sandwiches everyday we went to the parks. Managed to hang another cooler with 6 bottles of water in it over the handles and it never got in the way while I was pushing it. Occasionally it would cause it to tip over when my son was not in the stroller #if he jumped out# but typically the stroller would remain upright even with the cooler hanging and no kid in it #my old stoller would never do that!# All in all it worked out great for our trip as it folded nicely and the handles were plenty tall enough for me to push. For the same prices as renting the stroller for 3-4 days I get to keep this one which we will probably be able to use until he is 5 #if we can convince him to stay in it!
Highly recommend if trying to find a sturdy umbrella type stroller. To note we have not tried to to recline ours at all so can't say much about the feature. My only complaint about the stroller was that sometimes it was hard to find the locking clip when I was folding it since it seems to hide under the umbrella. It was a little heavier than my old standard umbrella stroller but we didn't carry it much... just off and on a tram all the other times if it is folded just roll it along on one set of wheels and it worked out just fine. The wheels were almost double the size of my old standard umbrella stroller and the handles were about 6 in taller.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy!, July 9, 2010
This stroller is worth every penny.

It's very sturdy, looks great (I ordered in black) and has a very smooth ride. It is extremely easy to maneuver one handed & the handles are a lot taller than a regular umbrella stroller. My husband & I can push this around without feeling "hunched over". The recline is just perfect for your little one to nap comfortably without the "head slump". In fact, I read a couple reviews where people were complaining about the recline...I guess they want it to lay completely flat??? Not necessary in my opinion, especially for a toddler.

Our son is 2 1/2 years old and sits very comfortably. The seat is wide, so he has some wiggle room and his head does not even reach the top of the seat. The basket underneath is a nice size, but you kinda have to put things through the side and not the back because the support bars are in the way. The parent pouch/cup holder is awesome. Yes, it is a soft "fanny pack" like device, but the cup holder is pretty deep...perfect for a sippy cup, bottled water or even a Starbucks cup or fast food restaurant soda. The canopy isn't the "widest" one I have seen...but it does protect the head, and if you recline the seat you get more coverage. The recline is accessed by a pulley system, but so was our Graco travel system stroller...not a deal breaker for us:)

Set up & breakdown is super easy. I love the lever to break it down, I can do it in flip flops/sandals without hurting the tops of my feet. Assembly takes no more than 5 minutes...just pop the wheels on & attach the canopy.

This is the first review I have ever given for a product, although I read endless customer reviews when purchasing one. You really can't get any more features & quality than this product for the money.

Side note....I was very close to purchasing either a McClaren or an Inglesina, boy I am happy I didn't :)

The First Years Ignite Stroller