5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!!
A MUST HAVE!!
Published on August 31, 2007 by MBA Grad

3.0 out of 5 stars It can be fixed!
This product isn't perfect, but we're glad we bought it. The sound effects aren't so hot, but that wasn't what we bought it for. Shortly after installing it, we found that it would stop on its' own, only to kick back on when moved or turned off/back on. I found that it's the little battery positioners that are separating the batteries.

Take the battery cover...
Published on February 11, 2008 by Hoosier Daddy

3.0 out of 5 stars It can be fixed!, February 11, 2008
This review is from: The First Years Gentle Vibrations 3-in-1 Crib Soother (Baby Product)

Take the battery cover off and remove the batteries. Remove the five screws and open the unit. There isn't much to it. From the bottom, you can see where the battery positioners just clip in. Unclip and remove them. You'll find that the batteries vibrate in the unit now, but that was solved by a bit of fabric folded up and placed under the lid.

As far as the crappy antenna reception goes, you see the little orange (on mine) wire that curls around the outside of the case but is only connected on the one side? Strip the insulation off. That'll give you a few extra feet. You could probably pull it out and wrap it around the bed frame if you had to.

The sound effects are so-so. The quality on the digital recording is pretty bad. We have a Homedics soother with a little light show which we use and I highly recommend. Still, for fourty bucks less than comparable products, I'll keep it.

3.0 out of 5 stars READ if you want to FIX this thing - its nice when it works, April 14, 2008
Edgar E. Cayce (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I needed a crib vibrator, and after looking, I could not find much else like this product. I read the reviews and saw that people had mixed results with getting it to work, but I took a chance and ordered it.

Sure enough, when I hooked it up, our baby monitor interfered with the signal. When the monitor was on, the vibrator would only work when 2-3 feet from the base, and would stop if you moved it around. With the monitor off, it worked within 15 feet or so.

Changing the channel on the monitor made no difference. Neither did taking one reviewer's advice to strip the wire antenna on the receiver.

So, here is what I did - I converted it from "wireless" to "wired". It worked like a charm and no more interference. Drawback is now there is a wire between the two units.

READ ON if you want to know how to do it:

1) Get a long piece of thin wire. I used some narrow gauge speaker wire that I had around. It needs to be the length you want to put the two units apart, with some extra to make life easier. You only need one of the two strands. Strip about an inch off of the ends.

2) Take the covers off of the units using a small screwdriver. Take out the batteries!

3) On the base, you will see a long rod with wire coiled around it. This is the transmitter. The wire is very fine and delicate but it connects to a thicker wire that attaches to a circuit board. Wrap one end of your stripped wire around this thicker wire, not the very thin wire, so you don't break it. Replace the cover on the base unit. If your wire is thin enough you can just have it stick out somewhere on the bottom of the crack, without making a hole or slot for it.

4) On the remote unit (the vibrator), you will see a long orange wire that is only connected at one end. This is the antenna. Strip the other, loose, end of it and twist your wire onto it. Replace the cover with the wire coming out the crack between the cover and the unit.

5) When you set up the crib, make sure to use wire ties or something like that to tie down the wire and keep it from being a tangling/choking hazard.

That is all there is to it! You will find that, with the two units wired together you get no interference and it works like a charm.

1.0 out of 5 stars vibration unit does not work well, September 28, 2006
We received this item as a gift at a baby shower. The first month it worked great. We loved the vibration feature. Now the wireless connection between the control module that sits on the side of the crib and the vibration module does not work unless they are within 2 to 3 inches of each other. (yes I have replaced the batteries X2). So this makes it completely impracticle to use now. I would have rated 4 to 5 stars but with this breakdown withing the 1st month I have to go with one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!!, August 31, 2007
A MUST HAVE!!
We keep the unit on the side crib rail and the vibrator under the mattress. Plays music, nature sounds, or a heartbeat too. Can set to turn on automatically when baby cries. Works like a dream! We usually set it to the lowest setting vibration (she's 20lbs now) and the lowest volume for the music to turn on automatically if she cries. Calms her and puts her right back to sleep! Since it doesn't play every night, she's not 'addicted' and mom and dad don't need to get up to comfort her! We use this with the Summer Infant Handheld color monitor. Both work perfect; the monitor's camera is on the back crib rail at the center, about 16 inches from the crib vibrator controls and about 24" from the vibrator itself. We have not experienced any problems with either. Both operate perfectly simultaneously; no interference. Baby has used since birth (pack and play had a vibrator - baby slept in bassinet / changing station for the first few wks and was gently rocked to sleep there; this was a great help tranistioning her to her crib!). Unit is almost a year old and well worth the few dollars. Here's to a good night's rest for all!!
PS - our baby was not colicky, so I don't know if this will help your cause...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea - Could Work Better, But My Son Loves It, May 15, 2007
After my first son slept in my bed until 18 months, I knew I had to do something different this time around, but since I'm nursing, I put baby #2 in his bouncer seat next to my bed. He's 3 weeks old now, and I'm trying to transition him into the crib at least for naps. I saw this item at Target, and thought it was an ingenious idea. Well, the sounds are great, my remote feature works fine, and since we have an all-digital and not a 49 mHz monitor, it doesn't cause interference, but what I can't figure out is how to make it vibrate quietly. When the vibration unit is turned on, there is a loud noise as if it's hitting against something. I tried wrapping the unit in a towel, thinking it was hitting against the metal mattress support, but it still makes the loud noise. All I can figure is that the noise is the inside of the vibration unit vibrating. It annoys me, but doesn't seem to bother my son, and he will now sleep (for naps) in his crib. I may try to exchange it and see if the noise goes away, otherwise, I'll keep it just for some sanity and a baby-free bed. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Idea Great, Product Terrible, November 6, 2007
Our baby has trouble with gas. Even her doctor thought this might help to gently vibrate the bubble upward. At the very least it would soother her. Keep in mind that not all babies like vibration. Our fist child did not, but our new baby does.

When we installed this product & turned it on & were somewhat horrified at the sound the "egg" shaped vibrating unit made. It rattled against the crib springs making a loud rattling metal sound. We padded it with a thick blanket so it would not make contact with the springs but it did not help at all. The vibration rattled all of the springs under the mattress.

We were willing to deal with the noise except for one major problem... it turned on & off as if it vibrated the batteries loose. Upon inspection we found that wasn't the problem. The baby's monitor was running on the same frequency. The direction explain it runs on the same frequency & to cure the problem just switch channels. This didn't work for us & the monitor is way more important to us.

We also had a couple minor issues with the product. We could not get the baby-activation mode to work at all. Also, the night light is bright white. Though it is a very small light, it seemed too bright & concentrated for a crib side.

I'd give it 0 stars if I could!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, April 26, 2007
KTJazz (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I cannot speak to the problems of the reviewers above b/c I've only been using the product for a week. While it is true that the baby monitor interferes with the vibration unit/controller communication, a little fiddling and repositioning of the baby monitor have done the trick for us, and it's now working fine. As such, this product is worth its weight in gold. Like the reviewer above, our 4-month old only slept through the night in his swing until we used this device- now he sleeps 7-9 uninterrupted hours in his crib. Last night I woke up at 2am because I could hear him stirring and beginning to fuss in his crib- suddenly the vibrations, triggered by his crying, turned on and soothed him back to sleep. It was the best feeling in the world. Even if this device eventually breaks as noted above, I'll go out and buy another one- the peace of a good night's sleep and the security of having him in his crib are worth it to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for getting my baby to sleep, January 20, 2007
I have not found any problems with the vibration unit.... my 10 week old baby would not sleep in her crib.. and this has really made her sleep well .

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Useless, December 2, 2006
The vibration unit only works if its inches away from the main unit (not 15 feet like the box says). I tried different batteries and even returned the unit for another one. The new one did the same thing. I tried contacting the first years via phone and email. Nobody EVER answers their phones and I got no response via email. POOR product and POOR service. Too bad because I think it's a good idea.

3.0 out of 5 stars works intermittently, January 22, 2007
MrHans (Chicago, Illinois!) - See all my reviews
This item worked so well when it was new it was like magic!

However... The remote vibrator worked very nicely in the first few weeks and is now turning on and off at will when it should just be running. Wonderful idea, poor implementation. Going to return our unit for a refund, not an exchange.