Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Five Levels of Attachment: Toltec Wisdom for the Modern World
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 21, 2013
This is a wonderful book! It is like a continuation and expansion of the teachings in The Four Agreements.

I have read a lot about the importance of "detachment" from people, things, and material possessions, etc., but this book focuses on the way we become attached to our beliefs and ideas, or what the author refers to as "our knowledge." He asks this question at the beginning of the book: "Are you using knowledge, or is knowledge using you?"

Great question!

Miguel Ruiz says that as we become more attached to knowledge, "who I am" becomes directly linked to "what I know." When this happens, we are "blinded" to all the options and possibilities in front of us, and our pre-existing beliefs keep recreating the same situations in our lives. He also points out that we often do this without even realizing it. This is a very powerful book about becoming aware of your beliefs, and how to release the ones that are causing you suffering.

I also really enjoyed the background the author shared about his father and grandmother, the wisdom keepers of the Toltec tradition. It was all quite fascinating.

In short, this is another great Ruiz book!
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
I was told to read 'The Four Agreements' during a Tolle Book club meeting and added it to my list of 'Books To Read'. The book was brought to my attention many more times. Years later on 11-11-11 my honey and I were married in a cabin in Red River Gorge. When we opened the cabin door upon arrival there on the table was a copy of The Four Agreements! I said, "OK GOD! I get it! I'll read it!" I glanced through the book and liked what I saw and said I'd order it when we returned home. Then I forgot! I opened Facebook that day and the 1st post I saw was the 2nd Agreement from the book, "Don't Take Anything Personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering." That was exactly what I needed to read! I was having many issues with my son's girlfriend and was really upset over it. I immediately ordered the book. The changes in my outlook, attitude, and stress levels were incredible! So I ordered ALL don Miguel Ruiz's books for myself and my kids! Our family was dramatically changed for the better! When I saw that Ruiz's son had written a book I ordered it and devoured it upon arrival! This book would be life changing on it's own. You would not need to have read the 'Agreement' books to benefit from this book as Ruiz Jr. reviews important points and explains how the agreements we make become attachments. I like the examples he uses as it made it so clear for me! The Ruiz family are truly a blessing to our planet! Their teachings on Toltec Wisdom have changed my life so much!
on February 21, 2013
We live in a world which is changing so rapidly that our perceptions are challenged every day. This leaves most of humanity feeling fearful, since we can no longer hold on to what once seemed so certain.

That is why I love this book by don Miguel Ruiz, Jr so much. He translates ancient wisdom of the Toltecs into modern language and makes it more relevant than ever.

Like his father, who wrote The Four Agreements, the author uses simple stories to illustrate deep concepts. This book was highly readable, but packs a lot of meat on its bones.

I underlined many passages and will re-read this book soon. I especially appreciate his explanation of the Toltec way of life: "Toltec means 'artist', and according to our teachings, the canvas for our art is life itself... The Toltec tradition is not a religion, but rather a way of life in which our great masterpiece is living in happiness and love."

What a beautiful way to lead a new direction for humanity. Thank you, don Miguel Ruiz, Jr.
on March 5, 2013
I found this book to be as engaging as the author is in person. It has helped me learn how to "let go" of my attachments and find my true self instead of relying on others opinion on me.
Great book and I would highy reccommend it!
on April 12, 2013
I'm in a bit of a pickle here, since there isn't really a way to separate a review for the content of the book from a review of the audio.

But I do want to caution people to try and hear a sample of the audio if they can, to be sure they're okay with the reading style.

It really sucks to feel like I'm criticizing the person who's reading this, because he's probably a great guy, etc. But, personally, I found his voice really distracting. He reading style has a strange, clipped quality, sort of "grand" sounding, with a peculiar theatrical emphasis and a curious accent that again, I personally, found extremely distracting.

(I think he's putting too much emphasis on creating "characters." He makes Don Miguel Ruiz Sr. sound like some sort of noble patriarch, the grandmother sound like a hissing gypsy, and Jr. sound like a sulking brat. As if this is a novel, not a spiritual book.)

I guess the voice I'd always heard in my "head," based on reading the books, was very simple, humble and straightforward. Whereas this reading, to me, couldn't be any more contrapuntal to the contents of the book, which is why I probably found it so distracting.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm going to just go ahead and buy the book now. Sort of a pity, and I hope it's just a subjective thing and others don't find the voice distracting, as I did.

And I hope some find this review helpful.
55 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2013
This book makes me question my beliefs, attachments and knowledge. Words are used for communication and as a form of agreement and consensus which we eventually call it knowledge. We attached ourselves to many things because we think it represent us - yet our true essence / our sense of self is beyond these attachments. The five levels of attachment is written with amazing clarity and yet will create perturbation within - as you reach a deeper understanding of self. The question that his grandmother asked : "Is knowledge controlling you or are you controlling knowledge?" is so relevant in our present time.
on December 5, 2015
I have purchased almost all of the books published by the Ruiz family, but this is the first one authored by don Miguel Ruiz Jr. that I have purchased. I feel that there is a certain.. uniqueness.. that sets him apart from don Miguel and his brother don Jose, however his work delivers the same overall "message" and "feel" of the family's other works. I enjoyed his good use of analogies as reference points for comparison. The only thing that really sets this book apart from those authored by his father and brother is that his writing style seems to be more.. repetitive. I did not appreciate this repetitiveness quite as much as don Miguel or don Jose's style which seem to be more linear, crossing many points with only subtle back-references. However, don Miguel Jr. broached the important topic of attachment which was not nearly as clearly addressed in the family's other works, so this book remains a key piece to the puzzle. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has previously read and enjoyed the Four Agreements and the Fifth Agreement as it provides a deeper understanding and clearer path to breaking free of the barriers that can get in the way of practicing the five agreements.
on June 6, 2014
Don MIguel Jr. does an excellent job helping us to see how interwoven our thoughts, beliefs, and egos are wrapped up into the core of our being. He explains how to identify and create distance between you and your beliefs, so that you can just BE. BE in the moment and accept things as they are. If you have a hard time with acceptance this book is for you!
on September 6, 2013
Toltec Wisdom and my interpretation of Don Miguel Ruiz' "Attachments" lead me to believe that one must decide for themselves what level of attachment they are living. The quoting of his grandmother's words to him "Is knowledge controlling you or are you controlling knowledge?" gives me pause each time I read it.

I find myself reading and re-reading the text in order to truly understand the Author's words.
on March 20, 2013
Having read and incorporated all of don Miguel Ruiz's books into my life. I was still struggling, until I read this book by his son, don Miguel Ruiz Jr. It isn't just the agreements we make, it is also the level of our attachment to those agreements.Don Miguel explains the levels using an analogy in which we can all relate, and then explains how we detach.It is all so simple, once you read the book.