5.0 out of 5 stars Serves as both as a culinary history and cookbook
Published on May 15, 2009 by Midwest Book Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really WI recipes.....
Published on February 21, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves as both as a culinary history and cookbook, May 15, 2009
This review is from: The Flavor of Wisconsin: An Informal History of Food and Eating in the Badger State (Hardcover)
Everyone needs to eat, and everyone does it differently. "The Flavor of Wisconsin: An Informal History of Food and Eating in the Badger State" is a look at the history of Wisconsin and its food - and despite stereotypes, it's not just cheese. Exploring a rich culinary culture, "The Flavor of Wisconsin" examines the eating habits of Wisconsinites which tell their tale as a people, and as a melting pot of immigrants like much of the rest of America. Including nearly five hundred recipes of exquisitely Wisconsinite cuisine such as War Bread, Serbian Djuvec, Chippewa Wild Rice, and more. "The Flavor of Wisconsin" serves as both as a culinary history and cookbook, and executes both very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flavor of Wisconsin, December 28, 2008
I keep this book handy for when I want to cook the way my grandmother did. This book has recipes that women brought with them from the "old country". It is also full of comfort foods. I finally learned how to make spaetzle. Now I don't need to buy the dried stuff that comes in a box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!!, September 1, 2009
I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. Great history and pictures of the area and the foods I have grown up with here in Wisconsin. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves history..........and food!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Wisconsin Gift!, March 22, 2010
Jen Y. (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a gift for someone that loves to cook. It's a great reference with history of Wisconsin and original recipes. I like that I see the author makes appearances around my city on occasion as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, June 29, 2013
A cookbook with Wisconsin history, wonderful pictures and great recipes. Kolache recipe I have wanted! I will order more for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 21, 2014
excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 5, 2015
Memories

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really WI recipes....., February 21, 2010
I was really excited when I ordered this book. I was expecting recipes for things I had eaten growing up that I had forgotten about or recipes that had been lost when older relatives had passed. I am sure that the recipes in this book are really good, and even plan on trying a few. However, as far as "flavors of WI" in my opinion is not accurate. I LIVE in Wisconsin and have only, in my whole life, heard of about 1/10 if not less of these dishes....and my family eats! When you have a recipe book of midwestern recipes and it includes recipes for: tomales, polenta, etc it is not truly a midwestern cookbook. If you are looking for authentic WI recipes don't waste your money on this book....you will be disappointed.

$29.95 $20.91