Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 15, 2011
I strongly advise anyone interested in the House of Night series to get this guide! No, it is not a guide into how P.C. and Kristen Cast created the House of Night series like most guide books, this is an actual fledgling handbook! This book goes over everything brought up in the series where Zoey and her friends would make any reference to the handbook. This book goes over various House of Night rituals and even incorporates some real life historical events to correlate with the Casts' dark world. This book is a must have companion for any House of Night fan!
on October 30, 2010
The Fledgling Handbook 101 turned out to be a disappointing read. I didn't even finish and passed it off to my son who also is an avid reader of the HON series. The book had a promising start with what you would expect to find in a 'handbook' for a vampyre fledgling. After the initial introduction of what to expect, description of the HON forms (which was interesting), Celebrations, and information about the Dark Daughters/Sons, the book just rambled off into history. I expected more information regarding what would be taught in the classes and daily life in the HON.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2010
Ye who enter the House of Night will be welcomed as a new student and given The Fledgling Handbook 101 as a guide. Veteran vampires understand how difficult the conversion from sunlight to moonlight is. The guide provides the fledgling with an introduction to vampire life as an undead and the societal Maslow Hierarchy of surviving amidst the massive humans. There are treatises on vampire biology and history as the species traces its roots to Lilith. Included is a section on Nightkind Elementology, which is intended to help the newbie survive the terrors of the dark. A bit more experienced Fledglings like Zoey provides words of encouragement as they detail some of their adjustments. Finally a who's who like Sappho and Shekinah provide words of inspiration.

Young adult fans of the series will appreciate the entertaining handbook enhanced by Ms. Doner's colorful drawings as the newcomers are guided on what to expect as their body changes in a puberty-like twist. As Shekinah says: "Within chaos lies opportunity"; not for everybody as this entertaining reference guide is a companion piece to the saga by providing Fledglings and readers with increased opportunity of understand the world as Cast and less chaos.

Harriet Klausner
on March 22, 2016
I had got this book so that I could see what the house of night books we talking about when the mentioned it.
I found that I really liked reading it. not only did it fill me in on what they were talking about but the stories in it are good.
on January 20, 2016
The Fledgling Handbook 101 is the companion book for the House of Night series by P.C. Cast.

The first thing I want to say is the House of Night series is NOT for young adults under age 18. I don’t know why it has always been promoted as young adult, when the majority of the books are not appropriate for minors. Yes, the main character is sixteen when the series begins, but even then there is too much sexual content for my taste as a mother of a teenager. I might let my daughter read the first book, but definitely not any of the other ones. I think it fits better into the new adult category because of the sexual content, especially as the series goes on, the character ages, and becomes more sexually active.

However, The Fledgling Handbook 101 is okay for readers of all ages. But, if you haven’t read any of the House of Night series, it might not be as interesting to you. I think this book is an awesome companion to the series, but not as appealing as a standalone.

The Fledgling Handbook 101 is the same book that the main character in the series receives when she starts attending the House of Night, which is kind of cool.

The book tells the students everything they need to know to transition from a human to a vampyre fledgling (then later a vampyre).

The school is for ages 9th to 12th grade, but older people are present as professors, warriors, etc.

I enjoyed the illustrations in the book and the mythology that P.C. and Kristin Cast created. The book explains in detail everything that a reader would learn if they read the other books in the House of Night series.

Some of the topics covered in the book are: the curriculum of the House of Night, vampyre biology, rituals, and vampyre history.

I wish I had this book when I was reading this series. It would have been great to have looked up the topics as I read each book, especially when Zoey needed to reference the book herself. At some point, I might re-read the books. When I do, I’ll have to borrow this handbook from Misty again.

If you are a House of Night fan, I strongly recommend having The Fledgling Handbook 101 on hand if you don’t have it already.
on March 12, 2014
I have read every book to the House of Night Series, and this really just adds more insight for the book! When you hear the charecters refer back to the Fledgling handbook you now can look back on it too.
on June 4, 2012
This Handbook P.C. Cast made was very delightful to read. I thought it was a great start to the series House of Nights. I liked how it made familiar to how you become a Fledgling and how I would feel if I was actually attending House of Nights.

The history and present stories about vampyres are great. As the handbook says, A new life awaits you; your path to that magickal future begins here!
on December 29, 2011
This is just what it says: a handbook. It is not a novel. It can be a bit boring to read, but it is meant to be just a fledling handbook. It just tells you what it is like to be one of the fledlings and go through the halls and learn different skills... it is not entertaining book, but if you are interested in the series and the background, then maybe this is a good purchase for you.
on November 29, 2012
I bought this for a friend who is into the House of Night series of books by P.C. Cast. It contains a lot of background information on the House of Night series. I love the House of Night series of books and this just adds to the already interesting story behind the books.
on February 27, 2013
Unfortunately this book was way boring and made little if any sense to what was expected from the students of the House of Night school. I would purchase it only as part of the series but as for the rest save your money.