Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on September 8, 2013
I bought this book looking for a variety of recipe ideas for an easy and flexible transition into vegetarianism. I was seriously disappointed.

If you're looking for a variety of recipes, skip this book. Sure, there are a ton of recipes, but they are so bland and rotate through the same several ingredients that it's almost a waste of paper. For example, one recipe will call for beans, cilantro and corn, and another separate recipe will call for all of those ingredients plus tomatoes, and then a third recipe will call for all of those ingredients plus a pita pocket. *sigh* My skills in the kitchen are somewhere between beginner and intermediate, but come on! This book is just ridiculous. There is literally a recipe in this book for a bowl of cereal with blueberries (Ingredients: milk, cereal, blueberries), as well as a recipe for celery sticks and peanut butter (Ingredients: Celery, peanut butter). I really wish I was making this up, but I'm being 100% serious.

If you're interested in the theory behind flexitarianism, I suppose this is a good read (although there probably isn't much in this book that you couldn't have learned from Google). But if you're looking for a recipe book, definitely don't bother with this one.
on February 15, 2013
I bought this based on how many wonderful reviews there were. I was looking for a few new ideas and recipes for a mainly vegetarian diet but that could also include meat/poultry that was seasoned to compliment the meal. This cookbook implies that it is full of "flexible" recipes that meat/poultry can be added/included to round out the meal for both vegetarian and the meat eater. What a disappointment! Most of the "flexibility" is just changing out a protein, mostly beans, for a half cup of cubed chicken. The rest of the recipes I found to be just basic vegetarian style dishes with various spices and not as healthy as they could be while still being appetizing...If you're a decent cook, you can experiment on your own with spices and alternative methods of cooking without using this cook book. I'm a decent cook and have a Scottish and Irish heritage were we traditionally cook with a lot of vegetables and very little or no meat. The old recipes that I have that have been handed-down through the generations are in my opinion much better, cheaper, healthier and tastier than what is in this book. My husband and daughter sat down and went through this cookbook and both were unimpressed with the recipes and thought that what I did with vegetables and meat/poultry was much better and healthier. My husband is a full vegetarian, I'm pescetarian (fish), daughter eats some meats/poultry, and sons are complete and total carnivores, so I have to get creative when I cook a meal for everyone that's pleasing, healthy and satisfying for all. I was hoping that this cookbook would add a few new twists and tastes to my menu but it's too one-sided for vegetarian only and not that good even as a healthy vegetarian cookbook. It leaves out so many great healthy vegetables that are easy, cheap, always in season and tasty when cooked properly with the right spices. This cookbook will be going in the box that goes to the donation center for the thrift store. Maybe a new cook can get some ideas from it, but if you're already an experienced cook, skip this cookbook altogether.
on May 16, 2014
The writer has an interesting idea and I think it would work just fine. Her food choices are not up to my standards, though. She lists some pretty crappy food and I'm also not into snacking. I guess I was looking for some menu planning with whole (unprocessed) foods. It's worth the read but I would never practice her food choices.
on January 2, 2015
This might be fine for somebody who is just learning about flexitarianism, but it's a lot of words without much new content for anybody who has already been practicing. The recipes are pretty boring too. I was pretty excited when I got this, but it quickly became a book that sits on the shelf without me using it.
on February 7, 2009
I bought this book because I would like to reduce my consumption of animal fat. I am sure I won't go completely vegetarian so the term flexitarian peaked my interest but I was disappointed when I received this book, there are 74 pages about the flexitarian diet followed by 164 pages of recipies and shopping lists then 16 pages about fitness. I was expecting more in depth information about nutrition and maintaining adequate protein intake with less meat in the diet. I was able to find what I was looking for in "The New Becoming Vegetarian" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melinda. For recipes I bought Bittmans "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian".
on December 21, 2015
A mushy moderate. Go vegetarian, but not if that would be inconvenient or embarrassing or awkward or generally unappealing to you. Yawn.

She doesn’t back up her recommendations with real science, and some of her rules are downright toxic. Like her comments that all polyunsaturated oils are heart-healthy. Similarly, her only reason to go easy on nuts and seeds is the calories. I’m beyond annoyed when trained nutritionists (she’s very proud that she is a registered dietician, phooey) get it so wrong. Excessive Omega 6 to Omega 3 essential fatty acids (from industrial oils, nuts and seeds) promote chronic inflammation - one of the basics wrong with the Western diet. And polyunsaturated fats are very unstable, susceptible to oxidation, so calories aren't the only reason to limit them. Too much oxidized LDL in our systems is another basic that is wrong with the Western diet.

Maybe you’ll lose weight adopting her eating program but it won’t be very healthy.

Two stars only because I didn’t look at her exercise advice. Maybe there is something worthwhile there.
on May 6, 2014
I wanted more of the theory behind it as to why to eat that way....not recipes. Way too much stuff I wouldn't eat.
on February 19, 2015
too vegetarian for me.. personal though. some really great recipes
on March 21, 2016
Book has great content but the physical book was VERY used and the cover was bent when received.