Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star).show all reviews
on August 2, 2011
On pp 9-10, Richard casually mentions government regulation as one of the reasons for USA's 11th place and dropping ranking for creative business environs,citing Sweden Canada Australia, Ireland as ahead of us.....he consistently glosses over the fact that the creative class as he created it is assumed to be enlightened coastal liberals, who are notorious for creating these regulations on the very creative businesses he champions, and, or course, on every other non-creative buinsess who suffer alike.....which of course stifles all creativity agriculture which he avoids because everybody knows farmers are neither creative nor liberal, nor coastal (Richard's assumptions) ......and the aforementioned countries, after decades of their own self stifling liberalism, are in liberal-political -recovery......the US is just now falling into that abyss....recovery possibly just starting. Richard assumes again that personal attributes such as of tolerance are owend by the creative class on the coasts, and several other smug-ceative class personal attributes.....perhaps the most galling of human atributes, "patronizing smugness" permeates.

IN other words....the creative class and Richard should stay out of politics...they are damn poor visionaries for human governance.....too much imangination too little reality.....create a digi-phone, go to creative little coffeeshop, order creative brew, complain about ruling party, .....and go home to creative little meal, music, movie, be smug, be creative, leave the rest alone!

Otherwise, good observations on the movements of cutting edge industry on the planet and the USA's position in same.
on December 24, 2005
I know Florida and have worked with him a number of times, as I produce conventions where we may have hired him or our client has hired him. What I have found interesting is how a well honed and written review can truly force me into my critical thinking mode - a mode I do wish I were in more often.

I can say that Floria is a truly nice, pleasant, and bright person. I enjoyed his books, yet I did not take what he wrote at face value. In reading Nemisis' review I had to rething much of what I had concluded. I may not agree with everything in the review but it got me to think, to research, to wonder and question. That is a good review. Name calling and just showing how mean we can be does nothing, as does drooling over a book because the premis sounds good, yet we have done nothing to check out the words as written.

Thank you to those of you who shared both your negative and positive reviews. They reminded me how important critical thinking is and how easily I can let it slip from my daily life.

Buy the bood if you want, but, then challenge it. I can promise you this, for I have seen this in a few question and answer sessions with Florida, he welcomes the questions. Even this book was a way to clear up some things he felt were not well thought out or written in an earlier book.

I also strongly urge that we do this with what we hear and watch. For me, I will not watch or listen to talk shows that are just one sided or, worse yet, just like to smack talk others. Instead let me read and listen and watch something that will challenge my beliefs, that will force me to act to make things better, basically to put my money where my mouth is. In this series of reviews I found some which accomplished just that. Thank you for being brave enough to think out what you wrote, then to share it with us.
on April 10, 2007
"If America continues to make it harder for some of the world's most talented students and workers to come here, they'll go to other countries eager to tap into their creative capabilities--as will American citizens fed up with what they view as an increasingly repressive environment."

-- Dr. Richard Florida, The Flight of the Creative Class

From this quote you can see immediately the sort of society Dr. Florida wants. Me, too. What's puzzling is he doesn't explicitly attach his shiny new cart of creativity to the thoroughbred of peace and political liberty.

In particular, you'd expect him to lambaste the Neocon Usurpers for launching expensive wars for isolated benefit of the Carlyle Group. Is he pulling his punches so Rush Bimbaugh won't accuse him of Bush-bashing? In general, why doesn't Florida boldly oppose the bonecrushing machinery of government per se?

That's my 900-pound-gorilla reservation about The Creative books. Otherwise, they provide a nice boost to the kinds of people we want to cultivate in society... or even want to be.

It appears many in public office, more semi-comatose Democrats than fully rabid Republicans, are interested in developing and retaining creative communities.

But are they willing to do what it takes?

The more political power they wield the less willing they are.

Rise shows that what Dr. Florida calls the three Ts of creative-class communities--Talent, Technology, and Tolerance--occur rarely. And when they do, it's more from the tolerance angle.

Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Burlington (VT), Boston, the highest American cities on the creative-class list, achieve their vaunted status by spontaneous order. When governments catch up to what's going on and want to push people around, it's too late.

Tolerance is also another word for freedom. We can easily argue that liberty is fundamentally what the creative havenots have not. Talent and technology gravitate toward communities naturally when political leaders see their mission as preserving a natural order based on civil liberties.

They accomplish that mission mainly by removing government obstacles and keeping the infrastructure efficient.

Government never furthered any enterprise but by the alacrity with which it got out of its way. -- Thoreau

Libertarians need no writer from the halls of the Carnegie Mellon Institute to tell us this dear Hamlet. But it's nice that in Rise Dr. Florida makes such a good statistical case for what creativity is, where it lives, and how we can nurture it. He also makes us aware that we, too, are paid-up members of the CC.

Flight is about politicians not getting the point of Rise.

For my complete review of this book and for other book and movie

reviews, please visit my site [...]

Brian Wright