4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for anyone, esp if you need financial help
I think this book is a great tool for anyone, even if you have a system that's working for you. It's probably more immediately practical for someone who needs help organizing their finances (although I learned things and I have a budget that works well for me).

If you're in financial crisis, GET THIS BOOK. Here's why I think so:

1. Derek takes the...
Published 21 months ago by tkdreviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information
This book is based off of Dave Ramsey and Money Matters. I am a true believer in zero budgeting and the snow ball payoff plan for ridding your debt. This kindle version does not have the availability of filling in the budget worksheets. Derek is upfront about this early in the book. He also gives you websites to go to for further information. This system is a sure thing...
Published 19 months ago by Tracy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for anyone, esp if you need financial help, November 29, 2012

If you're in financial crisis, GET THIS BOOK. Here's why I think so:

1. Derek takes the time to explain why his steps are beneficial to you. It's a good balance of explanation and strong suggestions and action. I appreciated how he explained why naming all the dollars of your cash on hand is necessary (and if you don't do it, you might grossly over/under-estimate).

2. So many reviewers have mentioned this, but I also like that he asks us to do the difficult work of self-examination and think about why were are in the situation we're in. One favorite example of that is asking us why there is a difference between the way we ARE spending our money and the way we WANT TO be spending our money. YES! Let's figure it out and own that.

3. Also helpful are his charts. I like to FILL STUFF IN. It makes me feel like I'm making progress. You will have to get on line, look up your bank account, and come to terms with reality. So helpful. If you have debt, you are going to write down ALL THE PAYMENTS and the amounts. You are done just ballparking and guessing (and maybe guessing incorrectly). Reality is our friend.

4. If you are married, you are going to have to go through this material with your spouse. But of course you want to do that - your spouse is spending the money also. I think if this is a source of conflict in marriage that is really beating you down, it would be helpful to get this book and take it to another married couple you respect and trust and ask them to mediate or walk through it with you and your spouse. Even if they were just there for accountability, I think this book makes it easy.

5. If you don't have a budget and want to know how one works and what that would look like for you, the worksheet/chart for the preliminary budget is great. Derek does a good job explaining how it works.

6. Also, it's encouraging. You don't just write down everything you're doing wrong. Derek asks at one point: "What spending category is in sync with your values?" Thanks, Derek, for asking me to find something positive to think about, that I'm already doing or at least thinking correctly, especially when doing something difficult like organizing my finances.

I was also thinking that if you're a parent, it might be useful for your high school senior who's about to leave home or a college senior who's about to get their first adult job and adult paycheck. It's something tangible to go through with them to teach them if you haven't known how to teach them already.

If you're not in financial crisis (like myself), I think this is still useful. Here's why:

1. I learned stuff! I totally went to the website link and read about his garage sale to get quick cash. I totally appreciated his advice on impulse purchases and how to avoid buyers remorse (check out the 24/25 rule). I found ways I can increase the health of my finances. I asked myself some questions about the roots of why parts of managing my finances are still hard for me.

2. I liked the practices Derek suggests in the book. But even better, in my opinion, is that Derek's principles are very solid. He doesn't waiver. He has a bottom line and sticks to it, and it's because he really wants to help you be financially healthy. If you're in good shape, you might read some suggestions for practices that are slightly different. Something might be better than what you're already doing! But you'll at least be reminded why you're doing what you're already doing.

If you need help, get the book. Use it.
If you don't need help, get the book. You might learn something. If you don't use it, keep it on hand to recommend to a friend who needs help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for getting back on track financially, November 25, 2012
Kent A. Sanders (St. Peters, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Derek Olsen has written a helpful, easy-to-understand guide for getting a handle on your money, getting out of debt, and creating a financial plan for the future. This is an ideal guide for single adults, families with kids at home, or anyone else seeking to get their financial house in order. The book is well-organized and well-written, and certainly worth the investment of time it takes to go through it.

A couple of features set the book apart from others covering similar ground:

1) It's not simply a book to read--it's a workbook with lots of exercises and practical steps to take you through the 4-week process. Derek focuses on the action steps needed, and makes it clear how to proceed from week to week.

2) The book helps you think through why you spend money the way you do. What is the real root of your money difficulties? Derek's book is a fantastic resource for helping you deal with the real issues that govern your use of money.

Anyone who has listened to Dave Ramsey or read his material (or attended Financial Peace University) will find similar principles in Derek's workbook. If you need a refresher course or have gotten off track, Derek's workbook can help. Sometimes it's good to get a little different perspective! If you like Dave Ramsey's material, The Four Week Financial Turnaround is a great companion peace that will put hands and feet on many of the same principles.

One thing I would add is that Derek's principles and ideas are easily adapted to budgeting software. I personally use YNAB software and love it, and would never consider going back to a paper budget again. But whatever system you use, the book will be a big help to get you where you want to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read & Do Book, December 2, 2012
I highly recommend this book. I am working through it now and find it a very refreshing way to look at your finances. I am no stranger to these types of books as I am always looking to improve myself. What I think makes this book different is that Derek encourages you to look at your past, but don't stay stuck there, and figure out the "why" of your spending habits. Then he encourages you to celebrate the milestone. So often we stay stuck in the past or beat ourselves up for doing the wrong thing that when we change that habit, we forget to give ourselves a little pat on the back. Then he calls us to set goals and take ACTION steps. I love action! Without it we get nowhere and that is exactly where you will be if you don't give this book a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Removing indecisiveness from our financial decisions, November 26, 2012
My wife and I went through most of the steps and worksheets in this book. It has helped us tremendously in gaining confidence in our financial decisions. Proper money management is about so much more than "spend less". In the past, we have been indecisive with our financial decisions resulting in a lack of confidence with regards to how we manage our finances. With simple worksheets, and sound financial advice, Derek walked us through the steps necessary to building a strong financial future. The instruction in these steps removed any reason for my wife and I to be indecisive about our financial decisions!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tool!, November 25, 2012
I have both read a Dave Ramsey book and attended one of his seminars... but I have never fully applied everything I learned. This workbook seems to be the fire I have needed to get me motivated to make some changes. I appreciate how Derek breaks everything down into bite-size chunks and walks me through the process without making me feel like an idiot, but rather by giving me great advice and principles and equipping me for making better choices.

My 2 favorite aspects of the book are Getting to the Root Cause & Celebrating Your Milestones. Long-term change isn't possible without dealing with root issues! And Derek kindly prods in all the necessary spots. And in budgeting I have a tendency to focus on what I've done wrong or how far I have to go, but this book has lots of celebrating built into the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet effective......, November 26, 2012
Wow, what a read! What I like to do when I get a new book is to read the book first (even with a workbook such as this) and then go back and work through it again. During my entire time reading this book, I kept jotting down notes because I was entirely ready to start working through it. Derek has taken the most practical sound advice and combined it in such a way that even I can surely stay on track. This is one area where I have constantly struggled with in the past. I have read lots of books of this sort without ever being able to follow through and commit because of the overwhelm. I can see already that won't be a problem here. I love it! I was actually writing things down to go back and look at even before I was done reading. I do believe that this book will provide for me the financial breakthrough I have been waiting for in helping me to better manage where I am right now before getting to the really BIG Bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Budget Book, April 22, 2013
This review is from: The Four Week Financial Turnaround (Kindle Edition)
Derek Olsen's book and program of the same name is an incredible tool for everyone who is concerned about where their money goes. I highly suggest this book and program to get on track and stay on track with your finances.

5.0 out of 5 stars good tips, April 20, 2013
This review is from: The Four Week Financial Turnaround (Kindle Edition)
This book gives good tips for budgeting. It is very detaled 4 week program. only buy this book if you are serious, because this will take time. If you are in finacial trouble, you should be srious about turning things around. Buy this book. You also need to be good at time management. Kill the Time Bandits

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Financial Book, March 31, 2013
This review is from: The Four Week Financial Turnaround (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book, the information is great and it's easy to understand, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who's in need of financial advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Approach to an age old topic, March 17, 2013
This review is from: The Four Week Financial Turnaround (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Derek's book. I've read books from Dave Ramsey and other financial coaches and I can really appreciate the fresh approach taken with this book.

There is a focus on becoming realistic with your financial roadmap and learning to embrace the dreaded term "budget."

Take the time to complete the worksheets, set your goals, stick to the plan, and you will see great results.

Highly recommended !