5.0 out of 5 stars Redefines holistic medicine -- an instant classic!
This is a beautifully written book that manages to be both a crystal clear health practitioner's guide and a fascinating philosophical discussion of the nature of disease and health.

The Fourfold Path to Healing offers a variety of very specific ways to restore balance to the human body, all of which are gentle, non-invasive, and sensible.

Four...
Published on December 13, 2004 by Victoria Bloch

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars for the Weston A Price info only
I'm a big fan of the Weston A Price website, as well as Nourishing Traditions and Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Sally Fallon.

But this book... was just not up to that high standard.

Published on May 19, 2011 by Jodi-Hummingbird

5.0 out of 5 stars Redefines holistic medicine -- an instant classic!, December 13, 2004
Victoria Bloch (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine (Paperback)

Four introductory chapters discuss the "paths" of the title -- nutrition, therapeutics (herbs and whole-food supplements), movement and meditation. Then Dr. Cowan applies these foundational principles to a variety of conditions, from arthritis to cancer to weight loss to heart disease.

He invites us to look at health conditions as more than collections of symptoms. He does so skillfully, drawing on the language of myth as well as botany, dreams, the work of Rudolf Steiner, and other insightful metaphors. Each discussion guides the reader into a broader understanding of the ways in which our health reflects our world view, our mental and emotional balance, and, of course how we care for our physical bodies.

The Fourfold Path to Healing invites deeper participation in our healing -- and in the maintenance and care of our good health, as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Book, March 20, 2005
This book is broken into three segments. The first is a nutrition chapter by Sally Fallon. It is short and sweet, and if you're looking for more definetly check out her "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook. Then there is a movement section by Jaimen McMillian. This is pretty good, but it's always hard to fully understand movement excersizes out of a book. Then Thomas Cowan explores a around a dozen of the most prominent dis eases of today. This is by far the best part of the book. His philosophy on healing is well founded in science, but is much more holistic and thorough than alleopathy. Instead of today's mentality of taking a pill or removing it if it doesn't work, Cowan explores the possibility that real healing can take place. One of my problems with this book is the cut and dry approach to dieting. For some of the dis eases they are very anti-green tea because of the caffiene, and with commercially grown green tea, the flouride used in the chemicals that are sprayed. Solution, buy organic green tea, and let it steep for two minutes or more. The tannins in the tea will eventually bind up the caffiene making it unusable to your body. Also, they say to give up white flour completely and only eat sprouted, soaked or soured grains. While I agree with these practices and do them regularly, they are not always necessary. My body reacts adversly to commercial white flower, but I have no problems with white organic spelt, and no problems with white organic pasta. If you do have to make diet changes make sure to really test them out and research, instead of just taking this book word for word. I would certainly reccommend this book to anyone who is interesting in the art of healing though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading and Utilizing....Your Health Will Increase Fourfold, December 14, 2006
The first time I read Dr. Cowan's Fourfold Path to Healing I put the book down thinking it was a bit too far out there for me in terms of how I look at the world and what he was proposing. Several months later on a whim I picked the book up again and read Cowan's explanation of how the heart is not a pump. It shifted my thinking. To understand how 'good' saturated fats can keep our blood pumping is to understand why we have so much heart disease in our fat phobic society. I can understand why those who are religious may have a problem with some of Cowan's insights. However put in perspective, I believe his insights conform to any theologic belief. What I took from the book is that there is a life force, whether that is a god, nature, or some other form, it exists and is an essential element in healing and well being. To reject the book out of hand based on preconceived beliefs, which is what I initially did, is to miss out on some very keen observations. Well done Dr. Cowan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary and Inspiring, August 1, 2005
Having just attended the Fourfold Path to Healing Conference in Oakland, CA, ([...]) I feel absolutely inspired to spread the messages of this book. If you are looking for a new approach to health and well-being, yet not "new fad", if you believe in the wisdom of traditional peoples, and you want to help co-create a beautiful world of healthy individuals and societies, this is the book to read. It is very attractive, well-organized, and will definately introduce you to some new ways of perceiving our bodies and bringing them to wholeness.

I also recommend the other books by contributer Sally Fallon, especially Nourishing Traditions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars for the Weston A Price info only, May 19, 2011

But this book... was just not up to that high standard.

For every useful fact on diet there was so many more very ignorant, simplistic and even offensive bits of nonsense, and airy fairy silliness. (About which planet is linked with which metal, and which bodily organ, and how this affects which homeopathic remedies you need, for example.)

The information on vitamin C was of an appalling standard and extremely ignorant and just plain wrong. All the masses of information showing the enourmous benefits of vitamin C were omitted entirely as well.

As for the suggestion that traditional peoples had fewer allergies because they 'took the long view' rather than thinking short term, and the case study of two kids with ear infections where one got well and the other with the same treatment didn't because they had an 'anxious mother' - these were not just eyebrow-raising, but very concerning.

People are abused with this type of 'blame the victim' nonsense all the time, and it is so unfair and can have a devastating impact on the patient, who is just asking to be treated for what is physically wrong with them! In the wrong hands this overemphasis of the mind-body link can be cruel. It is also completely unscientific.

(Sorry if this seems a bit of a rant but just about everyone I know that is ill has had a shocking encounter with a naturopath etc. who loftily expoused these same views and then blamed the victim again when they didn't help, rather than offering any real physical help.)

I'm so so glad I bought Nourishing Traditions and Eat Fat, Lose Fat but got this one from the LIBRARY! It was just not for me.

The above mentioned books plus any of the books by Dr Sherry Rogers, Dr Abram Hoffer, Andrew Saul or Dr Thomas Levy are such better choices for anyone concerned with their health and diet. These books take a genuinely scientific approach to health and diet and disease causation and treatment; an approach largely lacking in this book, for me. This book made me realise how good the other books I have been reading are. How logical, sensible and well referenced and reserched. (Plus they are working for me, and actually improving my very severe health problems, slowly but steadily.)

If you loved this book, then that is your prerogative of course and I wish you all the best with it. We are all different and have different opinions and views and I can also see that the author clearly has good motivations too. I'd never claim otherwise.

But this book was just not for me at all and I could in no way recommend it.

Best wishes to everyone with improving your health in whichever ways you choose, however!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.)

5.0 out of 5 stars this is THE book on being truly healthy, December 1, 2006
I have had the honour of hearing the author of this book, Tom Cowan, speak twice now. Once in Toronto Canada and once at the Weston A. Price annual conference.

The effect of his elegant and erudite presentation of complex concepts and ideas on my own health has been nothing short of astounding.

It is a rare and precious thing to read a book by a man who understand so many different aspects of the human condition.

More than just a 'healer', Dr. Cowan is a philosopher of the human condition.. asking us to question what it means to be alive, and showing us how to thrive no matter what health circumstances we currently face.

I love this quote from Tom (note I'm paraphrasing from the best of my memory): "The best course of action is often the most obvious, the simplest, and requires the most courage"

Warm wishes and may you and your loved ones benefit from the healing care and wisdom of this book!!

Ann

4.0 out of 5 stars Something to think about!, July 19, 2005
Having a child who suffers from asthma, poor appettite and lack of energy I have spent 18 months moving from doctor to specialist to be told "he'll be better when he is older". I was recommended this book by my sons Steiner teacher and it has opened my eyes to the benefits of holistic medicine" & therapies. My son is under the care of an anthroposophical doctor and a therapeutic Eurythmist now and his health has improved tenfold in just a few short weeks. How comforting to know that a simple change to our diet, some gentle movement combined with natural therapies can have such a healing effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Important Book!, February 7, 2007
I just attended the Fourfold Path to Healing conference this last weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan where Tom, Sally Fallon and Jaimen McMillan taught us so much about the human body, nutrition, and medicine--in what ways these all work together. This was one of the most important conferences I have ever attended in my life. (I am an organic farmer). It really rounds out the information I have been applying in my life on the farm from Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions. N.T.

I highly recommend Tom's book because on so many levels, it teaches us how to take care of ourselves and others without invasive "therapies" such as cutting, drugging, or radiating, Additionally, with Sally's research and advice on nutrition, I feel we can truly be as healthy as possible in spite of the many challenges we face, whether socially, economically, internally, or environmentally and so on. We can do it!

Please do yourself much, much more than a favor, and buy, read, study and apply the information in this book! A must is also Sally's book Nourishing Traditions.

As for comments Tom makes on vitamins such as C, it is the synthetic vitamin C that one needs to avoid. Some of the best ways to get vitamin C is through powdered fruits such as rose hips, acerola berries an amalaki. Of course, the first way we should try to get all nutrients is through our food! This is one reason why we eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, interesting, practical, March 14, 2005
How many books, articles and discussions have we been subjected to about health and medicine? Meanwhile, our health continues to decline and we become more and more subject to the whimsy of the medical establishment. This book takes the subject of health to a new dimension, where healing becomes the goal. The journey toward that goal is presented in clear and practical terms. Most illuminating are the sections on Therapeutics and Nutrition, with lots of detail on practical approaches to taking care of yourself, with specifics on what and how to eat, and on treatments for particular diseases. As a relative newcomer to the concept of holistic medicine, I found the book enlightening, interesting and useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-levelled Healing, November 10, 2004
This is a brilliant book about healing the physical body through nutrition, the life body through therapy, the emotions through movement and thinking through meditation.It is full of deep insights culled from the work of geniuses like Edgar Cayce, Rudolf Steiner and Weston Price. I particularly loved the knowledgeable and humorous way the heart and its activities are described; the heart is obviously not a pump, but rather a sensitive balancer and regulator of the whole system. I can't think of a better present to give my friends for Christmas.

Rate and Discover Movies