Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

Format: PaperbackChange

on October 19, 1999
I used to think emotional ups and downs were a part of life until I read this book and found that the downs could be dealt with, and the ups could be enhanced. There are lots of chapters, including 8, which has wonderfully sensitive and understanding text, plus oils and formulas, for an A-Z of "emotional problems" from abuse, addictions,aggression, amnesia, anxiety, apathy ..... and that's just the A's! And it's all so thorough - Under addictions there's drug alcohol and nicotine addiction, each with suggested oils and recipes to use. But, hey, this book is about positive mind frame, so is equally thorough in it's advice for alertness, assertiveness, concentration, confidence, contentment, creativity, focus, happiness, joy, memory enhancement, peace, performance, positivity, restfulness, self-awareness, self-esteen, self image. DO I SOUND POSITIVE? It's no surprise - this works!
on February 27, 1999
I have been an aromatherapist for several years and am learning more everyday. Worwood is one of my favorite authors and her books are well organized easy to learn from and the receipts are easy to follow. I plan to add all of her books to my library. I just wish she would come to the US to teach! When I am working with clients in my store Valeries books are the first ones I reach for as reference material.
The results of working with aromatherapy still amaze me and would love to talk with anyone who has questions or needs help finding something pertaining to aromatherapy.
on February 10, 2006
I have bought a few other books on Aromatherapy, over the years, which have given me an introduction into Aromatherapy. None of them compare to the books by Valerie Ann Worwood! I just bought her books "The Fragrant Mind" and "The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy", and they are wonderfully informative as well as a pleasure to read. I highly recommend both of these books for anyone who is interested in learning all that they can about Aromatherapy.

Focusing on "The Fragrant Mind", it is an amazing book! There is so much wonderful information, great recipes for various blends, a fun and enlightening look at the the different invdividual personality types and the different essential oils personality profiles, not to mention wonderful Quick Reference Charts.

This book does so much more than tell about a couple of uses for a few basic essential oils, it shows how essential oils can truly effect our emotional state. It also helps explain why we are drawn more to certain scents, and how our personality plays a big role in this. This book is definitely a must have!
on February 17, 1999
Equally as good as "The Complete Book of E.O.", Valeria Worwood has written extensively on the workings of the mind and how essential oils work on effecting emotional healing. Emotional problems, holistic therapies for treatment and healing professionals are discussed. That's just part one! She also covers the psychological "traits" of 45 essential oils, giving a personality profile of the e.o. This book is not a beginners book; however, someone with understanding of Aromatherapy should read this book!
on April 28, 2013
I have The Fragrant Mind, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, and The Fragrant Heavens (Also Essential Aromatherapy, with Susan Worwood.) These books are fascinating and encyclopedic, going into more depth about aromatherapy than I've ever seen anywhere. They are very readable and entertaining as well. I am making some combinations using this book as a reference and noticing great effects, my home smells wonderful. (I've just started combining geranium, grapefruit, orange, pine, patchouli and cedarwood. It's a divine combo!)

I have just one issue, which I hate to bring up, since I'm an ardent fan of both aromatherapy and Valerie Worwood's books.... CATS (and some other animals as well) are particularly sensitive to essential oils, and I'd recommend you research this on your own and use aromatherapy with caution around cats. Cats are lacking some of the enzymes needed to metabolize the terpenes and phenols in essential oils and some have even been poisoned, while others seem not to be bothered. Oils like pine, cinnamon, citrus oils and others can be toxic to our feline friends.

I was not happy to learn this but I love my cats, so it's better to know. I still use the essential oils, but I just make sure to ventilate the area, keep some parts of my home scent-free (dang) and watch the cats closely. I also don't run the diffuser nonstop as I did before, and I'm using other methods of application (being careful not to pet the cats after touching the oils.) The fact that cats sleep a lot doesn't exactly make it easy to tell what's going on with them...

I did not see this mentioned in the books, although it may be somewhere. It hasn't been widely known, and it's only logical that one would want to scent areas near the litterbox, etc. I have probably been guilty of sickening my own cats with well-intended immune oil applications in the past.

Just thought you cat lovers would want to know this. I don't have other pets like dogs but I think there is some sensitivity there too. Just research it; there's a lot of info online.

Valerie's book gets 5 stars anyway. It's a fantastic reference, and I think the oils can probably be used safely around cats if you're careful and aware of potential issues.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2000
I have not had the good fortune to see a copy of Worwood's other books The Complete Guide to Essential Oils, which I understand is a bible of sorts, and Aromantics, whose title intrigues me very much. The Fragrant Mind is daring in the sense that it espouses a very unique theory, that of classifying personalities based on the scents they prefer. I may not necessarily totally agree with Worwood, and I have had difficulty figuring out what personality type I have based on her system, but this book is definitely interesting reading, especially if you're an aromatherapy fan like I am. Buy it if only to round out your aromatherapy library. You will find yourself picking it up from time and time to read up on her one-of-a-kind personality descriptions.
on March 23, 2007
I like this book. I like that there are recipes for mixing essential oils for an effect. But I'd like to know more about how particular oils affect physical ailments and less about the author's categories of personalities.
on February 15, 2008
As a store owner I offer products for easing everyday life. I am always reading to further my knowledge on how to serve my customers better. The Fragrant Mind offers all kinds of information on how to mix certain scents and how our mood can change for the better by inhaling certain scents. This book is full of excellent information on aromatherapy and how our brains respond to it. This book is a MUST for the well seasoned or the newbies.
on June 8, 2011
Super Book with recipes for blending and using essential oils. Includes info on how to evoke positive moods as well as counteract negative attributes using fragrance and smell ~ just index your desired emotion, turn to given page number, blend essential oils and smell away. Simply Amazing. We use our blends in a glass-tubeless cold-air nebulizer, however I think some blends could be used directly on skin (but don't know this for certain) or placed in small bottle for gentle "sniffs".
The book also details personality traits of the larger aroma-genera groups.
on September 4, 2014
For the most part, this is wonderful resource, packed with information. Sometimes, it seems as if the author is including too much detail on things that are not actually mainstream to her point, but ancillary supporting details. When that happens, I occasionally get confused about what this has to do with Aromatherapy. However, the point eventually circles back to the topic.

On the positive side, as much of this book is, the author is very thorough and quite clear about the application of essential oils to mental and emotional well-being, and there is no other book that covers the topic in such depth. Also, more complex concepts are explored from different perspectives, in order to deepen the reader's understanding.

I would recommend this as a resource for any Aromatherapist professional.