on September 28, 2010
Format: Hardcover
This is a small hardbound book in celebration of a basset hound named Fred. From 1963 right into 2010, Fred is still the long-earred star of a newspaper comic strip known worldwide as: "Fred Basset"

I first saw Fred in the mid sixties in the comics section of a San Francisco newspaper and I was very quick to grab up the first published paperback edition of this remarkable hound's adventures printed in the United States in 1969. Except for Snoopy, he is no doubt the most popular comic dog on the planet.

This edition of Fred is from 2005, and it is a lil' gem of a book. With an introduction by Arran Graham, that tells of the life of his father Alex, who created this amazing hound for all of us to enjoy in 1963. After his dad's passing in 1991. Arron, took over the scripts and artist Michael Martin does the drawings, and they are keeping Fred with us still. Many great photos of Alex Graham, Freda the Graham family basset and Yorkie (another star of the strip) are included. An nice interview with Alex from 1976 tells his story of his cartoon hound and how he came into being. Sketchbook drawings are also included as is an evolution of Fred, and how his appearance has changed over the years.

The bulk of this book is taken up with a reprinting of the very first Fred Basset book that was published in the UK in 1963 by the Daily Mail. And even in those early days, this is our Fred!

I have collected over thirty books of the cartoons of this great hound, my family and myself, are the proud owners of our lil' cutie-hound we call Clara Basset. But, with or without your own basset hound, this is a wonderful book for all who enjoy great comics about even greater hounds.
FIVE STARS !!!
on January 13, 2006
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Hard cover with dust jacket. Approximately 5 l/2 X 8 l/2. Unpaged. A somewhat of a retrospective, with a few newer strips included, that primarily reprints the first 1963 annual. Also includes an introduction by Alex Graham's daughter Aaron Graham, a slight biography by some U.K. person Mac and the 1976 "Cartoonist Profiles" interview. Several nice photos. I bought mine from a U.K. Amazon Marketplace seller and it arrived promptly and safely. It would be nice if Fred Basset publications cited date of original publication, but, oh well... Recommended purchase, if you do not own the first annual.
on June 4, 2008
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I got this book from Amazon.com in response to my online purcahse which came through with good service, and I love it! This book has special essays, even an interview with the cartoonist-creatoralong with a full reprint of the first-ever annual, But I wish that the author had considered a larger version to capture the essence of Fred more like 'The Best of Beetle Bailey", "The Best of Hi and Lois" and "Marmaduke" in two volumes. Thusly we can get to enjoy plenty of this lovable thinking hound from Great Britain!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations