5.0 out of 5 stars A needed boost
Published on April 16, 2003 by Janine Beverly

3.0 out of 5 stars Freelancing
This book contains a lot of valuable information and as the author is a former magazine editor it is useful to get a point of view from the other side of the fence. However, there is also a lot of useless information and I would say that The Renegade Writer is a more useful book to anyone new to freelancing. Overall though, worth buying.
Published on September 23, 2005 by Mr. M. P. Sayers

5.0 out of 5 stars A needed boost, April 16, 2003
This review is from: The Freelance Success Book: Insider Secrets for Selling Every Word You Write (Write It, Sell It) (Paperback)
I have to admit that this book came along at the right time for me--in the middle of a bad run of rejection slips and self-esteem to match. With this book Taylor managed to get me jacked up to send out stuff again with chapters like "How to Make Editors Beg For It"--the first time I had read about what really goes on in editorial offices where we freelancers send out stuff. I feel like Taylor's insider stuff gives me an edge I didn't have before.
The chapter on queries and titles taught me how I have to pay more attention to actually selling my writing with right-between-the-eyes headlines. Taylor talks a lot about getting inside the editor's head and discovering the "reader benefits" that editor is trying to deliver. As he says, freelancers have to play that radio station: WRIT-FM or "What's Really In It-For Me," because without good reader benefits the piece is dead before it ever hits the editor's desk.
I guess all in all, reading books like this is necessary to learn new tips and keep motivated and fresh. This book did all that and more so that's why I rated it high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of useful information, March 19, 2003
Book and magazine editors are engaged in a never-ending search for writing that people want to read, which means that there is a large demand for good freelance writing. This book, written by a former magazine editor, tells how to get your name and phone number into an editor's Rolodex.
The first thing a budding freelance writer should do is get a copy of a book like the yearly Writer's Market and read the submission guidelines for your intended target publication (books, short stories, magazine non-fiction, etc). If your target is a specific magazine, read and analyze several issues of that magazine. Know it better than its editors, and find a niche that no one else has filled.
To call yourself a writer, it's necessary to actually do some writing. The act of putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) is covered, along with what to do when the words just won't come out.
After your masterpiece is on paper, then comes dealing with editors. How do you write a query letter (or should you)? Mak sure you deal with the right editor, not just any editor. Some editors do business by phone, or fax or email; adjust your approach accordingly. Don't gush about how much you love the magazine; editors don't want fan clubs. Get right to the point. The biggest mistake a freelancer makes in dealing with an editor is laziness; not knowing the magazine backwards and forwards.
Writing for the internet is totally different than writing for print. Your average web surfer is not going to read the equivalent of a magazine article on a screen. It's best to break up the text as much as possible, with bullets, numbers, colored backgrounds, etc. Also provide lots of hyperlinks, so the web surfer can do more research on their own. The book also covers the legal end of things, including contracts, libel and ethics in general.
I learned a lot from this book. A copy of this book belongs right next to the dictionary on the bookshelf of every freelance writer, and every would-be freelance writer, in America. It is packed full of useful information, and is money very well spent. Hmmm, I hope this also works for book reviewers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Now we know!, January 28, 2004
Jennifer Stewart (write101.com Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
Many of us fantasise about writing for major magazines and newspapers, but alas, writing is like everything else that we aspire to - success comes as the result of hard work, persistence and knowledge, not wishful thinking. And one sure way to acquire that knowledge is to learn from people who've not only been there and done that, but also have the T-shirt to prove it!
One such person is David Taylor, who spent nine years as executive editor at Rodale Press - he knows what editors and publishers want. Submit a story idea that suits a particular section of the magazine, is written in the publication's distinctive voice, follows the House Style Rules and is in some way controversial, and you're on your way to acceptance.
The book contains 300 pages of similar insider secrets for selling your writing. His step-by-step guide on how to break into the hidden freelance market offered by newspaper weeklies and dailies started bells ringing for me and has had me poring over my local publications and making lists of suitable non-local topics to write about.
Throughout the book there are a number of Writer's Toolboxes that contain both online and print resources. Resources such as newspaper directories (so you can search for suitable publications to approach with your ideas), manuscript submission services, places to check what your e-rights are, legal advice regarding copyright laws and contracts, how to self-publish and more. Then there are sample freelance contracts, agreements, release forms and invoices.
An excellent resource for any freelancer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Useful and Inspiring Guidebook, March 15, 2003
James (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
I've wanted to become a serious writer for some time, always felt I had "things to say" but I just couldn't seem to get started. One of the impediments was, once started, and hopefully writing cogent and interesting material . . . What would I do with it? I had no idea how to expose my work, much less sell it.
Chapter 2 "Getting Comfortable in the Harness" set the stage, helped me create a structure within which I could work. Chapter 3 "Your Writing Process: the need for speed" was the catalyst that got me started. I too had fallen into the trap of "headwriting", writing in my mind, then trying to transfer the words to paper. As Taylor says, it doesn't work. The concepts he advances: speedwriting, freewriting, copy and write opened the door and now the words are flowing.
I have only scratched the surface of this book, but I'm beginning to gain a basic understanding of how to maneuver through the intricacies of the publishing business.Like most people, I knew nothing about this, it was a closed, unknown realm.
I believe Taylor has written a useful and inspiring guidebook. If a person intends to get serious about writing, this is the book. It is my standard reference as I develop and progress as a writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts to the Chase, March 13, 2003
It seems like so many books about writing are, well, over-written. It was so nice (not to mention helpful) to find this book. The style is straightforward, clean, no beating around the bush. Taylor lays out tips, techniques and advice I could use immediately.
Another thing that impressed me is that I felt like I was getting stuff that I couldn't get anywhere else because of Taylor's experience as an editor. The guy has been there, done that and now he wants freelance writers to do the same.
I'm still digesting a lot of this stuff, it was so new to me. But the chapter on how to please an editor was worth the price of admission.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soup to nuts, it's all here..., March 17, 2003
J. Sands (Brick, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
As a first-time writer, I was finding the process of becoming published totally overwhelming and frustrating. This book gave me quite an education, and singlehandedly turned on my freelance light bulb.
David Taylor covers all bases with his clear, concise, easy to follow, and amusing style. He takes on the ambitious task of addressing every area of successful freelance writing. Referring to this book is literally like having a personal coach offer wisdom on the strategy of your game plan. It's like having a seasoned tour guide navigate you through the maze of the literary jungle.
There's plenty of helpful charts and references to online resources, sample calculations, sample documents, priceless tips. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of this industry; and to anyone who wants to do something concrete with that knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing coach in a book, April 8, 2003
Pam (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I've been out of the writing scene for too long now, and after some soul searching and internet searching I found the book to lead me back to a life of writing.
The first chapter deals with the "writing itch" and what to do about it. So many times I have tried to get back into writing but without proper discipline and resources I ran out of motivation. This book explains how to organize and approach this whole thing realistically and professionally.
And that's just the beginning. I see myself returning to the book again and again like a dictionary. Let's face it. The writing game is multi-faceted and David Taylor's book delves deep into the business and creative realm of writing.
I've read a lot of books on writing. What's different about this book is David Taylor clearly explains how to go from just a glimmer of desire to a paycheck. I encourage anyone with a passion for writing to grab a copy of "The Freelance Success Book." Not only will it be your personal writing coach, the book will inspire you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solidly presented instructional and advice guide, August 10, 2003
The Freelance Success Book by writer, editor, and teacher David Taylor is a solidly presented instructional and advice guide to making money off of one's writing. The subjects covered is such a "user friendly" manner range from learning how to create quality writing quickly; to ethical and legal issues (including protecting one's copyright); to the best way to submit query letters; to finding editors interested in one's work; to the basics of successful book writing, and much, much more. An excellent and confidently recommended primer for anyone seriously considering a writing career, covering both writing skills and business, The Freelance Success Book would make a welcome addition to any aspiring writer's reference shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Freelance Writer Needs This Book, August 26, 2003
S. M. Walsh (Roseville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am only halfway through this amazing book, but I had to drop you a note and let you know how much finding this book has meant to me. After the first 17 pages, I learned more about freelancing than in the last three books I've read combined! Thank you, David Taylor, for giving those of us who want to break in to this business the truth, excellent tips, and a path on which to start our own journey toward success.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Freelance Success Book, April 12, 2003
By A Customer
This is a great book to read even if you are NOT a writer trying to sell articles. There is plenty of good advice for college students trying to get through their core English courses as well as for students of technical writing. Every college library should have a copy. Ms. Smith, the mean English teacher, gives this book five stars.

$19.95 $14.69