The Funeral of God CD
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Favorite Song: "Psalm Of The City Of The Dead"
Reason Why: The song gives off a feeling of letdown and pain as the people of earth finally realize what they have done and regret it and beg for forgiveness. The piano line from Josh Momper and the multi-layered vocals of Sara George give the song a haunting, lilting feeling. Simplicity is the key in this song with the only lyrics being "As we wait for a sign we are greeted by the end of time, these streets aren't paved with gold, you're my everything, my soul is growing cold."
1) Breathing of the Black Muse - 9/10. Good overall music. I especially like the part at the end.
2) The Rising End (The First Prophecy) - 10/10. This is one of my favorite songs on the CD for its quick double bass and interesting guitar riffs.
3) The Last Revelation (The Last Prophecy) - 9/10. A little repetive, but overall good.
4) The Last Song From Zion - 9/10. Good guitar riffs make this one a good one.
5) Live...From the Funeral of God - 7/10. Probably my least favorite on the CD. It's still decent though.
6) The Lesser Lights of Heaven - 8/10. Meh...
7) In Times Gone Past - 9/10. Very fast double bass make this a winner (for me). Good, freaky quality in the middle too.
8) Praise the War Machine - 10/10. Another one of my favorites. I especially like the 666 part (not for that reason).
9) Truly Truly This is the End - 10/10. Another favorite. I love the part where it's just the drums and the guy whispering in the background...it's cool.
10) I Lay Sleepless in my Grave - 9/10. Short, but good.
11) Psalm of the City of the Dead - 10/10. Definitely my favorite song on the CD. I absolutely love this song, ESPECIALLY the part with the choir in the middle. It's very peaceful and comforting.
On to the album then! Liberate te Ex Inferis/Save Yourself From Hell is my favourite Zao album, but this one is moving up on it pretty fast. I love it! It's a semi-conceptual album about what would happen if God turned his back on humanity. It's a really interesting story and a lot of really good songs. I don't think Zao is "selling out" by using clean vocals. Seriously, how many times I have you heard their songs on MTV or a car commercial, or the radio (excluding college of course). Never! But they should! This agressive hardcore metal is filled with lots of melencholic sorrow. If you like something hard and heavy that may make you think, get this. IF not, go listen to something else and not complain about what you don't understand.
Very unique sound, heavy but much less chaotic (more vs. chorus vs. chorus bridge arrangment)
Very good mix and production.
Drummer actually doesn't do a bad job at filling Jesse Smiths shoes!
Nice to hear Russ on a record again
P.S. If you haven't seen this band play live you have done yourself an injustice.
Check out As I Lay Dying (they have awesome breakdowns, killer guitar licks, and a vocalist that is the closest thing to Zao that I have heard thus far.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Zao is the king of oldschool metalcore/oldschool christian hardcore. and severely underrated might i add. zao is not trying to say that God is dead. Read morePublished 18 months ago by marquis
I recommend this for any Zao fan. It is catchier than their other CDs, not quite as heavy, but nowhere near as soft as Parade Of Chaos. Go get it!Published on October 5, 2013 by Brandon C.
Not much to say. It's a great cd and it's defiantly like other Zao. It seems a bit like the band grew up a little and experiments a bit more with slower sections but they still... Read morePublished on June 10, 2013 by adam k phillipps
To the unknowledgeable listener, Greensburg, Pennsylvania's Zao may come across sounding like your average, run-of-the-mill Johnny-come-lately on their seventh full-length record,... Read morePublished on November 26, 2012 by A. Stutheit
This is, to put it simply, the greatest record ever made in it's genre. Every metalcore, deathcore, hardcore and death metal band should be taking notes from Zao. Read morePublished on January 1, 2010 by B. Brenner
Zao is hard to understand but so what these guys make killswitch engage who they are. This cd like most of the songs on here loud riffs on here. Read morePublished on July 21, 2008 by Rock 27 !!!!!!!!!
From the band's myspace profile.
"Q: Are you a Christian band?
A: Not in the sense that you are probably thinking. Read more
What a great album by Zao! They've done it again. This band is awesome! Great concept album with good lyrics even though they're dark. Read morePublished on July 22, 2006 by I Lay Sleepless in My Grave