Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 2, 2005
Ten years ago, I worked for a company which was in the midst of a culture crisis. Part of this crisis was due to the owner's insistence on managing from afar and not allowing skilled managers to make decisions based on local needs. This crisis came to a head when the owner met the author of this book on a ski - lift.

The main premise of the author's "philosophy" is this: people play(read: work) harder during their time off than they do at their jobs. [I'm alright with this part.] The reason being, according to the author, is that nobody keeps score at work. This, of course, is patently ridiculous. Almost every company keeps score on their employees in some way and most of us enjoy 'sports' in our off-time that don't keep score.

The author was brought in to train us in his "method'. Keep in mind that we already had complex yearly reviews and most managers were selected after they had met certain criteria in personality tests. Some people may be intrigued by the author's writing but his personal style is boorish. He typically ate while he lectured and his constant reliance on record - breaking sports events as an example of what people at work should do every day not only alienated non - sports minded people but showed the second major weakness in his philosophy. Guys get paid millions of dollars for getting a hit 30% of the time - not grand slams every time they come up to bat. But that was the author's next premise - that we had to perform these types of record feats everyday. (This strategy is not restricted merely to the author, sadly, but seems to be a major strategy of most US companies.)

The author had a difficult time with me especially as most of my hobbies involve physical activities in which one does not keep score - surfing, hiking, gardening, etc. I actually argued the contrary to the author's philosophy - that people actually played harder than they worked precisely because no one was keeping score when they played, as I stated above. However, discussing this with the author was like the narrator of "This Is Spinal Tap" questioning the notion of 'this one goes to 11' with Nigel. The author just kept repeating his litany about needing to keep score.

We started measuring anything that could be measured - this was keeping score. Then, because they could be measured they had to be reduced. Things that were vital to the integrity of the product were cut back on in order 'to win'. The product (and product reputation)was damaged and some of the better people soon left the company. Eventually, we careened into other changes in company philosophy and left this "Game" behind. Sadly, none of these philosophies helped- but that is another matter.

This author's work is dreck. You would do better to read Scott Adams and do exactly the opposite of Catbert, Ratbert, and the Pointy - Haired Boss. Make it interesting, make it fun, treat people with respect and people will work hard. They may still work harder at play but that is probably human nature. After all, there are words for "work" and "play" - they are not one. Keeping score doesn't really play into it.
55 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2014
I found this valuable to a productive work environment. Although I am not currently in a traditional job situation, I have recommended the book to friends who are still in the work grind and want to enjoy it more.
Totally a fun read, so logical & practical I wonder where this has been all my business life. Work should be more fun, and the author unlocks the secrets that everyone needs to really enjoy their jobs. Great stories, examples strike home with any sports lover. Would love to see a followup helping to implement these concepts into a company. I've read it twice and plan to read it again. Very exciting stuff!!
on April 12, 2014
This is my second copy of this book - I wore the first one out. It is something that I refer to again and again and would not want to be without it. I never thought of work as a game until I read this book - it makes perfect sense.
on January 18, 2014
Was introduced to Chuck when I worked at Pepsi. He did a few sessions with us to help us learn to utilize the 'tool'. Love his viewpoint and opinions, easy to read the book and implement. This isn't rocket science but you'd be amazed at how badly corporate America is at evaluating employees, including Pepsi. Don't know that it changed any business results at Pepsi but certainly changed the way I think and hold people accountable. Clear expectations are necessary for optimum performance and the book lays out concept and implementation brilliantly. Very intuitive once you get the hang of it.
on May 14, 2010
More, better, faster. This is an excellent book for getting the most out of your resources in business and in life. What gets measured gets done, and this book shows you "how" to measure so you can truly excel in performance and results, and the process of enhancing performance becomes a fun game rather than a tedious "should". I got great value from all of the real world examples in the book which opened my mind to unlimited ways to apply this to any business or individual. I'm going to start using it in my real estate business right away. I'm recommending it to all of my friends. These tools clearly increase any bottom line result, and in less time. Note to the author: It would be great if you could make the score cards and game sheets available as free downloads on your website. I've come to expect this type of "freebie" from business books that reference forms tools.
on April 10, 2007
This was required reading by my manager. I'm always skeptical in those situations, but it came highly recommended. And now that we've all read it and tried to implement the suggestions, I can say there has been a noticeable difference in the way each employee approaches work. People seem more motivated and excited about their jobs than before. I think every business could benefit from Coonradt's ideas which inspire and inject fun into the often-mundane job experiences.
on May 9, 2006
Chuck Coonradt's principles in this book are over 33 years old, they haven't changed, and are just as applicable today. This is just one point of credibility for The Game of Work and the training program to help workers, managers, and their companies significantly increase fun, productivity, reward, profits and reduce loss.

This book should be a must read and its companion program should be a required course at every university in the world.

After just a little research, I found hundreds of companies that have benefitted from this book and trainings by Mr. Coonradt's company, which is cleverly named, The Game of Work. He could write another book and just fill it with hundreds of pages of case studies and endorsements from thousands of workers and hundreds of managers, CEOs, VPs or "coaches."

These are folks at worldwide giants like Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola, Boeing and AT&T. They are workers and managers in your hometown and cities all over the country who started keeping score The Game of Work way and quickly found themselves much happier and excited to be at work winning.

Charles A. Coonradt is to the business world what Vince Lombardi, Phil Jackson, and John Wooden were and are to the sports world!
on August 13, 2014
The GAME OF WORK is a brilliant step-by-step manual for managing by RESULTS. Hats off to Chuck Coonradt for writing the most useful business and personal management book I've read yet.
on December 22, 2014
Best book ever. Seriously. The world needs this. This book will shave decades off your learning curve, in whatever endeavor. A gift for humanity. No doubt.