5.0 out of 5 stars Smells like a classic to me!
Published on December 18, 2000 by Michael J. Mazza

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply translated
I could not get over the very strange language conversion technique. I had no idea this book would be translated to English using strips of white labels with the words written in.... I was very disappointed with the quality. I will not even read this book to my son because it's so cheaply put together.
Published 3 months ago by Jennifer

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells like a classic to me!, December 18, 2000
"When an elephant farts, the farts are really big." How can you resist a book with an opening line like that? "The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts" reveals this and many more facts about a basic bodily function. Written by Shinta Cho and translated into English by Amanda Mayer Stinchecum, this is one of those great children's books that doubles as a work of delightful humor for adults.
This book is not only humorous, but also educational. A diagram of the digestive system and other visual aids help to drive home the science of farts. The book is written in a matter-of-fact, totally nonjudgmental tone. The text is supplemented by drawings that have a quirky charm to them.
I suppose that some self-appointed watchdogs of "cultural purity" will whine and pout about a book that celebrates the fart as a joyous, and even noble, part of life. But for the rest of us, "The Gas We Pass" is a treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, funny and factual!, July 18, 1999
By A Customer
We use this book on our pediatric ward for patients who have had abdominal surgery. It teaches them about how their intestines work and it helps them understand why we ask them if they are passing gas. This information is important because it lets us know their gastro-intestinal system is working normally again. All ages (including teen-agers) enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gas We Pass : The Story of Farts, February 28, 2000
By A Customer
This has to be the most hilarious book I've ever read! I fell out of my chair at my doctors office waiting room I was laughing so hard. The girls in the office love watching the patients reactions to this wonderful read. This is such a great way to explain farting to kids. Very interesting!

4.0 out of 5 stars kids book that deals frankly with the mystique of gas, November 13, 2003
I have to admit that I couldn't stop snickering the first time I read this book to my preschooler. It didn't help that the first page illustrates an elephant passing gas with KABOOM! But later on, I realized that this was the way author Shinta Cho intended to desensitize readers to what is a very taboo subject in polite society.
With a frank and straightforward style, The Gas We Pass explains in layman's terms the reason our bodies produce gas, how we expel it and why this is a healthy, natural thing. A variety of people and animals are helpfully illustrated eating and farting. There is no sense of shame or mockery in the subtext, which helps children to avoid associating gas with jokes or rudeness.
The drawings are a bit amateurish and simple, but they complement the text nicely. In all, not an exciting read, but it does explain this bodily function well for children. To this day my now five year old boy never tells fart jokes.
-Andrea, aka Merribelle

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfart!!!!!!!!!, February 12, 2002
I originally purchased this wonderful book in order to aggravate my mother-in-law (not the current one, but my third wife's overly prudish mamma). She couldn't stand to hear my children (her "little boopsies") say the innocuous word "fart" (she prefers the even more innocuous and utterly ridiculous "fizzle").
Anyhow, I figured this little tome would really get my kids going (and as a consequence, rile up the prim and proper Gooba (her cute, carefully selected Grandmother name). Well, it sure did!! My kids (and I) learned more about the natural process of farting than we thought possible. I can't tell you how much pleasure I derived seeing my youngens sling the f-word at Gooba. And if their maniacal laughter meant anything, they got a heckuva kick out of it as well.
The author is Japanese, but the translation is top-notch. There are also many hilarious pictures (this book was aimed for 4-7 year olds) as well as clues as to which particular foods will help you get that stench just right (I never had the chance to try this on Gooba, too bad!). Overall, this book serves many purposes. It can educate and infuriate. A winning combination in my book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's that Smell?, August 9, 2000
Travis Taylor (Clemson, SC USA) - See all my reviews
The Gas We Pass by Shinta Cho, is a hilarious book of the reasons we pass gas. The illustrations are great. The color scheme of the pictures themselves helps the imagination grow, and suitable for children. It helps them learn the scientific concept of why gas is passed. It also tells which foods make gas stink, and how much gas actually comes out in a fart. It's really amazing what some never know. There is some inappropriate content in the book; it is a picture of a little boy and his father in the bathtub, both of whose genitals are exposed. Besides that, it is great for people of all ages. It is a book everyone should take the chance to read. I promise you, this book doesn't just let off gas; it's educational and funny and these are the two important elements of learning. So the next time you pass gas, you will think about how it happens, and there won't be anymore smell-raising questions. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smelly Subject, August 4, 2000
Field Dunaway English 101 Book Review Dr. Martin
Passing Gas
This was one of the cleverest ways that I have ever seen anyone explain farting to children. The illustrations are informative, and the context is cut, dry, and right to the point about how humans and animals pass gas. The illustrations appeal to young kids because they are done in bright color and with cartoon characters that children can relate to. If I had kids, I would definitely buy this book for them to read and understand all about this smelly subject. I had no idea that people fart out over two cups of gas in one day; it amazes me that scientists can even calculate farts and their measurements. Between the descriptive illustrations and the easily readable context, I would absolutely recommend this book for children and adults of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Does It., August 10, 2004
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (St. Louis Metro East Area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I first heard about this book while sitting at a table and someone passed some gas. THE GAS WE PASS was mentioned in the conversation that followed and it left me curious to find this book and read it. I found it to be rather informative, entertaining, and hilarious. This book was written as an informative lesson towards children explaining why people pass gas and the importance farting has for our bodies. The book does that job well, while at the same time educating one with several interesting facts; for instance, the average person passes about 2 cups of gas in one day. However, the book is also hysterical, largely because of the illustrations that accompany the text and the unusual syntax, e.g. "So, don't hold them in--pass that gas!", and, therefore, makes a great gag gift to give to someone. Though some might be offended by the subject matter, most kids and adults will enjoy reading this book. I know I did. "Fartheewell."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Addition..., March 17, 2006
I bought this book for my daughter & we really enjoyed reading it. It was so funny that I had to share it with my sister & her baby boy. Clearly, she loved the book just as much as we did because she never returned it! So, now I have to buy it again, because it is a great addition for any child's library.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait for the sequel!, July 3, 1998
By A Customer
My mother-in-law bought this book for me as a gag as I am well renowned for my flatulence (surprisingly, my chili is pretty famous, too). But I found that this book is an excellent source of the most basic answers that children seek. So often, kids want to talk about farts and know where they come from and we as adults are so quick to tell them to shut up and never bring up the subject again. This book brings the answers to light in a way that will captivate both children and adults alike. Read it with your children over a steaming bowl of baked beans!

The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts (My Body Science)
The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts (My Body Science) by Shinta Chō (Paperback - October 1, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.37