on December 3, 1999
Format: Paperback
A classic! Friends and foes of Biblical truth both agree that this seminal book was largely responsible for triggering the modern revival of interest in creationism.
Even though most of its scientific content has been superceded by more recent creation science, it still provides a useful framework for understanding Flood Geology. The theological portion of this book is invaluable for showing the incorrectness of compromising evangelicals who try to twist Scripture to make it fit a local flood instead of the indisputably global Noachian Deluge. A must read!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 17, 2003
Format: Paperback
Had you asked me a year ago, I would have said that the Biblical story of Noah could not possibly be taken literally. Now I have been forced to reconsider my position.
The authors did what I have never seen or heard before: used the scientific evidence rather than ignoring it. One question I would like to pose for the casual reader: how is it possible we have massive fossil deposits of extinct animals (dinosaurs, et cetera) from millions of years ago, yet no fossil deposits of modern animals? That is a question that made me wonder why I hadn't heard it before.
Despite the statements of some reviewers, who based on their reviews didn't seem to have read the book in depth, the authors do use scientific evidence to back up their position. It isn't the usual assertion that we must believe the Bible because the Bible says so.
I would recommend this book to everyone; and I plan to present these arguments to geologists and challenge them to refute them.
Of course, you should read this for yourself before you decide.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2005
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
God bless this wonderful book and its authors forever. It was instrumental in turning me at age 46 into a Bible-believer, and generated in me an abiding fascination with the "science fiction" of macroevolution and its essential prop, uniformitarian geology.

My first copy was the sixth printing (1964), and its preface, relating some of the more notable responses to earlier printings, is one of the funniest things I've ever read. My favorite anecdote is about the author of a highly critical review whose triumphant crowning argument against the Genesis account went like this:

(1) the Bible says the waters rose above the highest mountain,
(2) the highest mountain is Everest at ~29000 feet,
(3) at that altitude the oxygen is so thin that Noah & family could hardly have moved about, much less cared for thousands of animals!

His zinger was received with glee in ET circles and widely recounted by science teachers to their classes until someone--probably an alert 4th grader--said, "Uhhh, wait a minute....altitude...is calculated from, umm..."

I too would love to see the book updated to reflect later research; partly because I'd like to have the authors' analyses of recent findings, but mostly because I'm utterly confident that true science will always & only confirm the book's thesis.

An absolute must-read even unrevised. Lots of techical data I had to spend some time on, but the book never forgets that its target audience is the intelligent layman. And it obviously has connected with enough of that vast audience to start a revolt that's about to blow the roof off the illusory edifice of scientific naturalism.
4444 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 8, 1999
Format: Paperback
If you're not afraid to think for yourself, read this book. :-) I only give it 4 stars because it's a little outdated. Not outdated in the sense of hopelessly archaic, just that it was first printed in the 1960s.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2006
Format: Paperback
One-star reviews indicate that prejudice, rather than scientific criticism, is alive and well. I would not give Darwin's Origin a one star simply because I disagree with it. I do, however, appreciate when an evolutionist at least takes the time to read the "other side".

This is one of the first contemporary books on the subject, possibly the book that started the modern creation movement, giving a scientific basis for the Genesis flood. This is not for those with short attention spans. Heavily footnoted and very comprehensive, it covers the gamut of science and creation, looking at the geological world of today in light of what we would expect to find after a global flood.

Dr Whitcomb conclusively demonstrates the scientific basis for the Genesis flood, casting strong doubts on the foundations of evolution. Evolutionists tend to discuss their theory more in philosophical terms than scientific. Dr. Whitcomb presents the Genesis flood from solid and current (as of 1960) scientific evidence.

Dr. Henry Morris, who died early this year, earned his doctorate in hydraulic engineering and was a respected educator and writer in his field. His book, Applied Hydraulics in Engineering, was a standard in colleges for nearly forty years--quite a feat for an engineering textbook. I doubt the critics of this book can boast the same authority. Like most creationists, Dr Morris started out as an evolutionist/gradualist, only switching because creationism better explained the geological phenomena he observed.

It is indeed in need of updating, but is a starting point for understanding this subject. Radiocarbon dating is still inconclusive a half century later, and in fact needs other corroborating evidence for a date, and even has to be correlated regionally. It is based on three assumptions--the rate of decay has remained constant, the original content of the sample is known, and no contamination of the sample has occurred. Hydrology still fails to explain the formation of the Grand Canyon (if viewed as millions of years old). This geological formation is a mile-deep, winding river--impossible by our understanding of water action. Either it is a shallow and wide meandering stream or a straight, deep rushing river, but not both. The Colorado River could not have cut this canyon through solid rock. Drs Whitcomb and Morris give a scientific, not wishful or philosophical, explanation of its formation. For more myth-busting on the formation of the Grand Canyon, read Dr Walt Brown's In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood (7th Edition).

Unfortunately, the evidence will fall on deaf ears for the person unwilling to read this with an open mind, insisting that naturalism, itself based on unproven assumptions, is all there is. The more evolution accepts catastrophic causes, such as the Yucatan meteor theory, the more it is abandoning its gradualist foundation (and unwittingly supporting creationism) yet reluctant to admit it.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2000
Format: Paperback
This is a wonderful book full of information that supports the biblical account of creation. To me, it was a little technical and tedious which made the reading less enjoyable. That is why I gave it 3 stars instead of 5. For a person who likes that sort of reading I would give it a 5 star rating. For this reason I would not recomment this particular book for teenagers or children. There are others that these men have written that are more to the point,less techinal and easier to read. This book contains volumes of factual scientific information that has been handled honestly. To the true searcher of facts I would highly recomment this book.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2000
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I am saying this as a creationist: This book needs to be updated. It is just too out of date. Morris' refutation of radiometric dating is that decay rates are innaccurate and unproven. That is because 40 years ago when this book was written radiochronology was new. Now I agree that radiometric dating is unreliable because there are too many unknowns in our assumptions about what should be in a sample that we measure, but it is simply a fact that we can measure them accurately. Aside from this point, most the bibliographic references in this book are all from the 50s. It is simply not usable as an evangelistic tool. Creationists need to abandon this book for one that is based on current research.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
A very provocative treatise on the subject of this great event.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2014
Format: Paperback
This book is historically important as the popularizer that the history recorded in the Bible is accurate.

Why do I say “Popularizer”? It’s because some groups never fell for the myth of evolution, a myth that predates Charles Darwin’s popularizing of that myth.

This is not necessarily a “fundamentalist” book, as there were fundamentalists preaching evolution, even predating Darwin’s 1859 publishing of his book.

A weakness of this book for today’s audiences is that it’s dated. While its central theme remains valid, namely that the waters of a world-wide flood are capable to explain most of geology, fossils, coal seams, etc., some details not central to its main theme have been updated by further research, while the book itself remains frozen. That the main theme remains true is no surprise, for Dr. Henry Morris was one of the top scientists in his field, namely hydraulics which includes studying the effects of moving water on rocks and soils.

For me, the greatest weakness of the book is not recognizing the limits of science, what it can study and what it can’t study, and the use of models based on speculation to be used as evidence. In this, the authors are not alone, for those two faults are the basis for those who want to call evolution a scientific study. Where did the waters come from to make the flood? The historical references give no answer, and any answer we give today is speculation. Unscientific speculation because science can’t study one-time events in the unobservable past, of which the world wide flood was just one one-time event.

The limits of science is that it can study only observable phenomena, where the observation is repeatable (Simpson, George Gaylord and Beck, William S. ‘Life, an introduction to Biology’ 1965, pp 14–16). The only repeatable observations are those that can be made today, in the present. Therefore science can’t study the past, the closest it gets to that is that it can study artifacts that survive from the past. Therefore, both the historical account of creation and world-wide flood, and the theory of evolution, are not scientific beliefs.

Evolution, as defined by scientists as the “theory (which in common speech we are now justified in calling a fact) states that all organisms have arisen from common ancestors by a natural, historical process of change and diversification” (Simpson, George Gaylord and Beck, William S. ‘Life, an introduction to Biology’ 1965, p. 17, I have a review of this book too.) is also defined as a one-time event in the historical past, therefore can’t be scientific.

The greatest strength of the book, and why it’s historically so important, is that it popularized the recognition that one doesn’t have to abandon his intellect in trusting historical sources, even historical sources that appear at first glance to be impossible, given the limited knowledge we have today. But I give the book only three stars because there are newer, more up-to-date sources that give the same message.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2014
Format: Paperback
Henry Morris was a great man of God who I had the unmitigated joy of spending some hours with on one occasion. Morris, who wrote this book in connection with Whitcom of Grace Seminary knew the Word of God and he knew the science as well. Morris, got his PHd from Rice and graduated Cum Laude and then went on to become the head of Civil Engineering at Virginia Poly. He wrote a textbook on hydrology which is still used in many engineering schools and in many engineering firms to this day. He writes with faith in his Creator and he writes with an incredible grasp of science. He and his colleagues at the Institute for Creation Research are even to this day in the forefront of the modern Creationist movement. Don't sell them short. They know their science and the science is on their side. I loved this book and would give it more stars were that option available. It is a classic and well worth the time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...