Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

With a background in accounting and having worked on a lot of private and public equity deals in the 90's, I found this to be a pretty good thriller - in addition to the usual intrigue with the bad guys, I found I could relate a little bit to the financial side of the house in some respects.

The author does a pretty good job of getting you inside the head of his characters, and I guarantee many of you will have some daydreaming moments of "what if" with respect to suddenly being in charge of billions of untraceable dollars. Without having a spoiler, I will tell you the author does a heck of a job having you think you will know how the ending will turn out - then he takes a hard right turn that I didn't see coming.

There are a few grammatical and typographical errors in the Kindle version of this book: while they are annoying here and there, it doesn't take away from what is a pretty good tale.

I originally picked this up for free during a Kindle promotion and, as I type this review, the pricing has reverted to $4.99 - you will certainly get as much or more worth of entertainment value out of this one. If you like thrillers / mysteries, I'd recommend you give this one a shot.
11 comment39 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2012
I bought this novel as a gift for my Dad. He had recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and was having difficulty with reading, among other things. So, he bought a Kindle. Not sure his thought process but it seems to work. This was one of the first stories he read on the Kindle. I can't even explain how wonderful it was when Dad realized he could read again, and he finished this in a weekend. So, I'm posting this review for my Dad.
Dad has spent years reading every political intrege book he could find. He absolutely loved the Geneva Connection and ranks it in his top 10. Highly recommended read for everyone.
0Comment37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2012
The Geneva Connection reminds me why I don't usually read thrillers. I spent the drive home checking my rearview mirror for pursuing drug cartel assassins or rogue DEA agents! I was completely sucked into the plot and found myself fascinated by the world of investment banking in ways that probably aren't healthy. That's how good this book is! Bodenham's cinematic style and unrelenting action and suspense have created a real page turner that is nearly impossible to put down. It is not for the faint of heart, however, having some sincerely ruthless characters. But if you love a thriller or are just looking for something that turns the banking business into an adventure, search no further. Read this one! But beware, you may end up talking back to the book.
0Comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2012
Just finished Martin Bodenham's THE GENEVA CONNECTION, a thinking man's thriller. What an interesting ride! I learned about global economics and financing as well as the inner workings of a ruthless Mexican drug cartel. The story was suspenseful throughout and the characters well drawn and believable. Twists and turns in the plot kept me in suspense, but the climax was indeed a surprise. Kent was a convincing Machiavellian character whom you both condemned and rooted for. You knew all along there weren't going to be any winners in this game of high finance and despicable violence. Hurrah for Kent's wife--although I suspect the Cartel would eventually chase her down and get their HS 1 billions back. I recommend this thriller to anyone who wants to learn how powerful the Cartels really are!
on December 29, 2011
Three ruthless men, each misunderstanding or underestimating his rivals, vie in an increasingly suspenseful and complex intrigue to achieve their ends. A nominally law-abiding British investment expert gleefully exploits others' economic dilemmas in these difficult times for his own benefit. The head of a Mexican drug cartel, bent upon establishing a legacy of unbelievable financial wealth, will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. And an American drug enforcement official, immersed in his own world of power plays and vengeance, loses sight of his department's mission as the stakes rise and become personal. They come together in a well-plotted and realistic-feeling story. Will anyone win?
on July 13, 2012
I bought this book because I have always enjoyed financial intrigue type novels. And since I'm involved in a similar business, I found the overall premise as well as all the details regarding hedge fund investments fascinating. This book definetely kept me up at night later than I would have liked, but I literally couldn't put it down. Can't wait for Martin Bodenham's next novel!!
on January 18, 2012
The book has a strong, cinematic opening that is sure to grip you. Author Martin has created a believable world populated by living, breathing characters who have their own backstories, woven into the story with a light touch. The drama builds on both sides of the Atlantic and the author's knowledge of the financial markets gives the book an edge on many other thrillers. The tensions ratchets up wonderfully until the nail-biting climax. There's an almost Shakespearean scale to this book. You won't be disappointed.
on January 10, 2012
I recently saw a review that compared Martin Bodeham to the financial world's John Grisham. I think I have to agree with that. His writing style will keep your attention for sure. It is obvious he knows his way around financial investing. Throwing a drug cartel into the mix made for a great read. There were a lot of characters to follow and a lot going on but it wasn't confusing at all. The story was great & a definite page turner. Can't wait for more!
on October 3, 2012
This is a well written thriller. Cops and robbers at the highest ( or lowest, if you will) levels. It has a powerful drug cartel, violence, the DEA and high finance. The story is told smoothly without awkward word choices. The high ratings provided by the previous reviewers were deserved. A very good choice for thriller fans.
on October 23, 2012
I really enjoyed this book and found I didn't need to be a financial genius to follow the dealings. It was edgy and still had the ability to surprise close to the end. The characters were entirely believable. Mr Bodenham, please get a move on and write another.