Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 11, 2003
I actually took two classes with Dr. Tolzmann at the University of Cincinnati and that is how I came to know this book. I hadn't read the book in some years and picked it up again recently. Dr. Tolzmann is a fascinating man and clearly has a passion for his interests. This shines through in all of his work. I recommend this book highly to those with German heritage.
on June 26, 2009
I found this book very enlightening. I originally thought my family had came from Germany in the mid-1800's because my family told stories about family members being able to speak German. After reading this book and doing a little family tree work, I found out to my surprise that my family had lived in the US since at least the 1700's and had passed down the language for many generations. This book does a great job of explaining the major German immigration routes, i.e., mainly through PA.

I also found the chapter describing German-American influence on American culture very useful, e.g., that our educational system is modeled after the Prussian system.

This is a great book and I highly recommend.
on September 12, 2015
I have not finished the book yet. I have learned a lot but it is slow reading like a text book.The effort in the beginning to reveal every moment that a German had anything to do with the New World was both tiring and interesting. Tiring because of the level of detail. Interesting because I had no idea Germans were in North and South America so early on. I shall be reading this for a long time.
on February 19, 2013
This is a much better book to read than German-Americans. It seems to focus on all great German Americans in the US.
on November 27, 2010
This book has serious problems both with accuracy and with scholarly integrity. Certainly, readers who know nothing of German-American history can learn important information from reading the book, but it is badly outdated, wrong in too many instances, and much of it is copied from an older work. Read the details in the H-Net review: [...]
66 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse