5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Solution for Moles

2.0 out of 5 stars They no longer work well
Published on December 19, 2009 by Harvey A. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Solution for Moles, October 1, 2009
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
I have 4 acres that I spent a lot of money landscaping. Cat used to catch a lot of the moles, but he's getting fat and lazy like me. Tried poisons, but they're expensive and unreliable, and the dogs could end up getting to it. Also, the "repellents" don't work - you want to eradicate them, not scare them into adjacent areas where they'll just come back or dig up your neighbors yard. I used to buy these individually at the hardware store, but if you buy 100 at a time, you can get them for close to a buck apiece.

The trick to using them is in technique and vigilance. First, I take them all out of their packages and put the fuses in a plastic bag where they'll stay dry. It's easy to lose the fuses if you don't do this. Cut a piece of 1/2" garden hose about 18" long. Take the sticks and put them in a pail with a lid (an old paint can, powdered laundry detergent box, etc) along with your hose and a narrow hand shovel. Go to a mound, and probe for an opening with the shovel. The fresher the hole the easier. Once you find the opening, make sure it's free of dirt by pushing the hose down into the opening. Otherwise, it may be blocked partway down and the smoke won't get down into the burrow. Light the fuse, wait for the fuse to burn down a little, and shove it into the hole FUSE FIRST, covering it with dirt. You will be able to hear the stick burning even though it's covered.

Sometimes you won't be able to find the opening - in that case, just stomp down the dirt to compact it - put a little water on it if you have to - and the moles will push a new hole up overnight to breathe. Once you have things under control, it gets easier. Since moles are active at night, the best time to bomb them is first thing in the morning. Sometimes, the fresh holes are still exposed, so you don't even have to use the shovel. Any fresh dirt that wasn't there the night before is almost a sure kill. In these cases, you don't even need a full stick - you can cut the sticks in half with a PVC pipe cutter, and cut the fuses in half with scissors. If you use a butane lighter, you don't really even need the fuse most of the time, but it's faster if you do. Take an awl and punch a hole for the fuse in the second half of the stick, which will be plenty to nuke a fresh hole - and now you're only paying 50 cents a kill.

For infested areas, the key is to stay on top of it. Moles are voracious eaters and diggers, and the more complex their tunnels get, the harder it is to eradicate them since they have more escape routes. I've probably killed a couple hundred moles this way. They still come back now and then, but not for long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective, July 7, 2007
William C. Beatty MD (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
This product was 100% effective in eliminating a serious mole problem in my yard. Poison peanuts, traps, insecticides, dogs, shovels, water, etc. had not done much. You must follow the directions and find the most recently used burrow,dig down a few inches to see the actual tunnel(as close as possible to where you think the nest is) and insert the GD with the fuse pointed toward the nest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundhog wars!, July 12, 2012
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
Who would have ever thought that catching or killing a ground hog would be so much trouble? My wife insisted that I trap him and take him somewhere else way out in the country. I purchased a cage and the first night I trapped our pet squirrel who will no longer let us feed him. The next two nights I trapped the ground hog and he was literally so strong that he bent the metal of the trap door and the wire cage and squeezed out of the trap. Twice!

OK, I purchased a bigger and better trap. Now the groundhog walks all around it and refuses to eat the gourmet meals I have put into the cage for him. Not only is he big and strong but he is also smart, wonderful! Now I feel like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack and the groundhog is winning. By this time he has eaten all of my wife's flowers, tulip bulbs and potted plants. Now it is time for war!

I can only find one entry hole in the front of our home in the shrubs so I find a large landscaping stone, then I tape two of the smoke bombs onto a stick and light the fuses and quickly jam them into the hole. Top it off with the large stone and cover it with some dirt and voila, no groundhog! Now I am making sure we don't have more of the dirt devils in our yard!

I used two of the smoke bombs as the hole was more than 8 inches in diameter and I wanted to make sure that the large volume quickly filled up with smoke.

2.0 out of 5 stars They no longer work well, December 19, 2009
Harvey A. Lewis (Greenwood, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
I have used hundreds of Giant Killers in various yards over the last decade, but I can no longer recommend them. I assume Atlas changed their formula because they used to work well, but now they go out, often before they have burned even a third of the way. I have taken to drilling a hole in the end that does not come with a hole, cutting the fuse in half and putting half a fuse in each end so I can light the other end after the first end goes out. Getting them lit now is more difficult because they changed to an ( apparently ) cheaper fuse. The old green fuse worked well, but the new red fuse barely burns at all. It looks like another case of same MBA squeezing more profit out of something until it is worthless. I am switching to using lawnmower exhaust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chipmunks Conquered - Finally!, July 30, 2011
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
Chipmunks were tunneling along our foundation and deck post footings. Tried everything to no avail. Until this!

Tips:

1. The smoke is noxious -and you want in in hole, not yard. So prepare:

2. Be ready with dirt fo fill crevices / holes. We used top soil - so it was loose and easily filled.

3. Identify as many holes as you can - be ready at each.

4. Pick a time when you believe critters will be in hole - we did it at dusk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Elimination, October 2, 2008
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
I've used a lot of products to eliminate voles and these seem to work the best. I've tried cheaper ones that did not produce enough gas and the little varmits actually dug them out and flipped them on top of the ground. Talk about a "Caddy Shack" experience!! The first time you use them you will be a bit surprised as it is like lighting a giant firecracker but after a few times you become quite proficient at it. I've learned to check for mounds 1st thing in the morning and only put them down new burrows, as the critters move alot and may have blocked that tunnel or moved on. Experience is the key to a good kill.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Tip & a Good Product, August 20, 2013
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
I use them for ground squirrels and they are excellent. But like has been said, you need to stay vigilant and check every 1-2 days as the pests will return. I have bought a bag of dirt and cover up the hole and flatten it out each time. Then if there is a mound (or hole) I can easily spot it and repeat.

A great tip I received (which I havent seen written here)- Use your yard blower to distribute the smoke throughout the tunnel. After lighting the fuse and inputting it into the hole as far as u can, put the tip of the blower into the hole and turn it on. You will actually see where the tunnel traverses as u see the smoke rise from the ground sometimes 10-15 feet away. In that way u are making sure u are getting the entire tunnel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant Destroyer rids your yard and propery of nasties, June 1, 2009
Owen Rice (Cuyahoga Falls Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
I have used Giant Destroyer and know that it works. I had a woodchuck problem, but not anymore. You locate the woodchucks hole which is usually located on the north end of your property.If you see flies buzzing around the woodchucks hole you know he is home. It a good idea to wait til dusk as woodchucks almost never get caught out at night. Also,woodchucks have a secondary hole to escape from, you must locate this hole and lay something heavy across it,and to seal it. The next step is the woodchucks DOOM. You take out a Giant Destroyer cartridge and light it and place it in the main hole of the woodchucks lair. Quickly seal the hole as mentioned before with a weighted object.A large rock or a board with heavy bricks make a great seal .Also, you may want to place earth around the escapes as to make them air tight. The giant Destroyer also works on rat problems, skunks gophers..this product is for OUTSIDE use only. Do not use inside your home

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent results, February 1, 2009
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
I have had nothing but problems with gophers in my yard. Traps are a waste of time and I can't flood the little buggers out. I tried the Giant Destroyer and it looked like it was about 75% effective. I still have a few mounds that are popping up but it is obvious I was able to kill quite a few of them.

I think I will attempt a combined assault next using Giant Destroyers and gopher bait.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO MORE GOPHERS, October 28, 2008
This review is from: The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb
hey, its great to be a home owner and spend money on turf, mowers, sprinklers, etc. and then you got it all looking awesome and a gopher comes in or a mole. Don't waste money calling that fat dude with the pickup truck to come out and stick his killer pellet rod in the ground, don't go out and buy a pellet stick either.......this is the solution and its easy and 100%. Trick is to notice that first hole early, then you go out and probe to clear the tunnerl hole, keep some extra dirt and wear gloves and then I use a flick lighter and drop in this smoking torch stick and cover....its fun.....too bad it does not whistle and blow up at end like an M-80. steve walker santa barbara , ca

The Giant Destroyer Gas Bomb