5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Published on September 26, 2010 by Michael D. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Caricature of ADD
So who is this book for? They are extroverted, funny, spontaneous, great lovers, life-of-the-party ADD types. You know, the ones we all wish we could be like, in fun professions like firefighting or being millionaires. This caricature of ADD makes me mad just thinking about it! It is a gift, and I believe an essential survival trait, but this author puts it forward like...
Published 13 months ago by K. Craig

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, September 26, 2010
This review is from: The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths (Paperback)
I think this book is amazing because it goes far beyond explaining what ADD is. It shows the reader how to focus (and capitalize) on the strengths that the condition brings with it while also minimizing the impact of the drawbacks. It's not necessarily easy to follow all the advice; but implementing the suggestions one at a time so that they become a natural habit, helps to accomplish those exact goals.

Reading this book was a breath of fresh air in a world where so many with ADD are given pills to keep their "disorder" "under control". In reality, the author takes a step back and suggests that just because people with the condition don't fit within societal norms doesn't mean that making them "normal" is necessarily in anyone's best interests. Instead of feeling powerless against the "disorder", this book helps the reader to feel empowered by the way their brain is wired by giving actionable items that turn the chores of daily life into a game or a challenge (which really appeals to the ADD mind) while given examples of people who have been great successes who attribute their success as "because of" not "in spite of" ADD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Who Want's to Live Down to Someone's Else's Definition of "Disorder"?, December 19, 2009
This is a great book. It develops a lot of the ideas I first read in "The Edison Gene". The "disorder" comment is exactly the type of judgmental negativity that books of this type helped me recognize for what they were. So what if adults with ADHD only have a few close friends! I've had large numbers of ongoing superficial relationships at various times in my life, and actually ENJOY having just a few close ones. Books like this helped me understand that its "OK" for me to relax and enjoy my true nature, instead of trying to change it. Also, the book actually does cover the "negative" aspects of ADHD, the importance of recognizing them and minimizing their disruptive impact on your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gift of Adult ADD, February 2, 2009
PB (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This book offers an invaluable perspective on ADD for adults. It also deals with the byproducts of the affliction such as depression, anxiety and other complications that can come with ADD. The book offers very positive and easy to apply methods to benefit from ADD and enjoy life more with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I need someone to point out the postive, I know the bad, July 8, 2011
I'm ordering this book now. I've tried to read many of the books from prominent authors on ADD in adults. I like the idea of taking one suggestion at a time and working it into your daily life. Since we try to do so many things at once, we overwhelm ourselves we just end up seeing more negatives. Being "beaten down emotionally" most of my life by my family and being diagnosed @ 44 I am desperate to make the 2nd half of my live positive. A very intelligent doctor told me "untreatable depression is the hallmark of ADD". A simple philosophy is to "take what you need and leave the rest". I don't expect all books on ADD to give me everything I need, but I read new (to me) ADD books and often refer back to my ADD library. Often what I didn't understand, or have motivation to work on with the first reading is recognized and understood with re-reading. As well, I want to get a variety of opinions on this topic. PS: poor expression or writing skills, dyslexia, not seeing typing errors all go along with ADD. Additionally, if someone w/ ADD doesn't realize they are NOT in a healthy relationship, ending that relationship is often the answer. I've finally learned who my true friends are, and who the superficial ones are. This has relieved many disappointments with what I thought were good friendships and allow me to move on without guilt. Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenomenal Book by a Phenomenal Writer, February 9, 2010
DeAnne Musolf "Author" (Pleasant Hill, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after seeing Dr. Honos-Webb speak on a different topic (parenting). She spoke with such wisdom and insight, and addressed some of the most important questions and fears regarding parenting today -- and she did it in such a simple way. I am a lifelong lover of learning and I can honestly say that I have never seen a speaker come at a topic so directly yet so intimately. It was a life-changing talk.

It made me want to hear more of Honos-Webb's take on the world - so much more that I went home and ordered all of her books (which is a lot to say for a single mother watching every dime!): Listening to Depression: How Understanding Your Pain Can Heal Your Life, The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths, The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion) as well as this one.

Her books are more than I had hoped for. Honos-Webb approaches depression, ADD and ADHD in a uniquely positive way. There are new insights and food for thought on every page. She is also a wonderful writer. I am a writer and an editor myself and I was continually impressed with not only the beauty of the ideas she expresses but the beauty of her words as well.

Honos-Webb sheds extraordinary light on these topics. Her books should be required reading for everyone who cares about the human mind.

PS And if you ever get a chance to see her speak, seize the opportunity. This woman should have her own TV show! (Could she be the next Oprah????? We can only hope.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why The World Needs ADD Adults, March 2, 2013
When searching for books on Adult ADD I was drawn to this book because of the title. So many books, blogs, etc. concentrate on the challenges faced by adults with ADD and the negativity associated with those challenges - impulsiveness, distractibility, high energy, and the need for stimulation. This book is a breath of fresh air for me & has helped me find the courage to be who I am. It has "activities" throughout the book that encourage the reader to journal their thoughts. The author provides examples of successful ADD'ers and their stories she has collected through personal interviews. The author's insights are entertaining and thoughtful and has given me validation that it is good for me to focus on what's "right" about me ... providing the motivation needed to address my weaknesses.

Chapter 10 sums it up by saying "The gifts ADD confers do not eliminate the many challenges and failures that will be faced by an individual in a culture that does not value differences. Even with success, you may always feel like the proverbial round peg in a square hole". That being said, I would recommend this book to therapists who want to truly help adults with ADD focus on and find their "sweet spot" versus just trying to "fit in". I would recommend this book for anyone with ADD who wants to feel empowered to embrace their uniqueness, and those who are involved with adults with ADD - to develop and understanding and compassion for our "challenges" which truly are gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some people can be so defensve...why?, June 13, 2011
I read all reviews of books before I buy them..especially important ones like this. The reviewer from New York who gave one star really saddened me. I have Adult ADD and Bipolar Disorder and I live in Texas. I thought the attitude of "pull yourself up the bootstraps" was a purely Texan attitude. Apparently I was very wrong. It is sometimes very hard to deal with the reality of a mental condition where most people think you are "crazy" and only half accept you if they know you are carefully taking your meds (as if it were their business to start with!). I would like to ask "Reviewer from NY" if they have a Ph.D like the author and if so instead of spewing forth your angry thoughtless words .... well kinda like a bipolar ADDer jilted husband upset about ruined weekends and less beer money...why dont you step up to that plate of responsibility you so lovingly speak of and spend some hours on the internet..more hours at the library..spend some of that beer money on journal subscriptions and some good word processing software and write your own book! Quit trying to keep alive the guilt the rest of us "crazies" feel. My theory? All you so called "normals" are just that...plainly normal. whereas us crazies are most likely the next very small step in evolution...more and more of us are turning up everyday...regardless I just feel plain sorry for people as narrow minded as yourself...obviously not well educated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strengths and Understanding of ADD, January 29, 2012
The Gift of Adult ADD was very comforting. It helps you feel that ADD is not a bad thing. It helps you focus on your strengths and to take advantage of your skills. It benefits you by helping you mold yourself to your own strengths. It was very enlightening, so I need to learn how to use it to my advantage.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is a gift, March 29, 2010
Amazon Customer (Saratoga Springs NY) - See all my reviews
This book included every seemingly ridiculous thing a person with ADD does and thinks. The Gift explains that these are truly positive, creative, intelligent ways of looking at the world and gathering information. I loved the strategies to focus, remind, and motivate myself, but most important, I learned to stop nagging at me and build upon the gifts of creativity, sensitivity and thinking outside the box. It's short and sweet and NOT boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great cheerful book!, June 22, 2013
I have had ADD/ADHD my entire life. I went to a special school called marburn academy for it also. I used to be ashamed of having it. I would always try to hide it from people. My mother always try to keep me on meds. ADD meds make you feel out of it. So as adult I stop taking meds and learn to do stuff that with ADD I was good at. I worked at Great clips for 4 yrs and customer loved me and my energy. I enjoyed this book becuase it taught me it is ok to be myself. It is others jealous they can't be as outgoing as I am. I am glad there is finally a positive book about this. I refuse to read books that tell people to self medicate so you can be what every one wants you to be. if you have to medicate to be whatever one says is normal you aren't living your life. You need to read this book and stay positive about this. This book has great positive points of ADD. I really wish there were other books for ADD that we're so uplifting and not downers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›