5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Different and Very Powerful Book
Published on February 21, 2011 by Wease

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I read all the Amazon reviews for this book as well as others and bought this one. The title had also intrigued me. The author is a "triple pointer' so the book is really a brief read. There really was not much useful information presented. The case histories read like they were made up. It was not a satisfying read but i kept reading hoping for some small bit of...
Published on July 11, 2012 by Michael A. Pulford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Different and Very Powerful Book, February 21, 2011
Wease (Orinda, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift of Anger: Seven Steps to Uncover the Meaning of Anger and Gain Awareness, True Strength, and Peace (Paperback)
This book is really powerful and very different from other anger management books that I have read - and it's power stems from its differences. Some of the better books teach you how to explore your anger to determine its root causes, but what makes Dr. Cannon's book so special is that she lays out some very simple yet very powerful next steps to literally change your anger's root causes to make them a source of strength for you instead of a source of perpetual triggers for your anger. I read this book and I learned how to understand the real underlying causes of my anger, and then learned how to turn these root causes into sources of strength for me. That is A Gift of Anger's power, and that is what makes it so different, and ultimately so much more accessible and actionable than other anger management books. Dr. Cannon's writing is very fluid and the examples and exercises are very intelligent and relevant, and the book is surprisingly easy to read. But what makes this book so special are the concrete steps in which she shows how to transform from being a person with deep-seated emotional anger triggers to being a person with strength and power... and peace. When the root causes of your anger transform into sources of strength, what you are left with is a sense of control and a sense of confidence that you no longer need to be a victim of anger and anger-related behavior. And that is truly life-changing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gift of Anger, February 20, 2011
The Gift of Anger is a remarkable book. It is written in an easy to understand and practical way. Dr, Cannon clearly defines and clarifies what anger is and helps the reader to process it in a way that is thoughtful and useful for "real life" situations. In "times like these" anger is such an important and pervasive topic. The Gift of Anger is based on solid scientific study and the principles and skills outlined in this book can be applied with success in practical situations. It is a "must read"for those interested in creating and adding more peace to their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift of Freedom!, February 21, 2011
LassenLover (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Growing up, I locked away what I really wanted to say, how I really felt, and as an adult continued to hide my true self. Dr. Cannon's book unlocked my ability to feel and broke the barriers created by deep anger that kept me feeling separate and alone... I can learn to trust...trust ALL of myself ...and then learn to trust others.

The Gift of Anger was a gift of freedom for me. Opening my heart to my true feelings gave me the gift of renewed energy, power, and trust in myself. Beginning to trust others means my relationships can grow and flourish, become deeper and enrich my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift for Everyone, February 25, 2011
I have used Dr. Cannon's Gift of Anger process several times. Each time, I'm amazed --both at the empowerment that I feel and at the insights that I gain. Anger is one of those ubiquitous and rarely understood phenomena that affect all of us. I think this book could be helpful to a wide range of people. It is written so that anyone who experiences anger (and isn't that all of us?) can get a handle on his or her own anger, and take positive, concrete steps towards resolution. Dr. Cannon's background is impressive, her prose style works to transmit complicated ideas in a simple, clear and accessible way. In short, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Powerful Concepts and Practices, February 20, 2011
I've started this book--hope to finish soon--yet already I have learned many new ways of viewing and "metabolizing" anger, for personal learning and development. I see so many possibiities to use Marcia's concepts and pratctices for positive impact --both for better peace of mind, and to become more effective in understanding and relating to others. Give it a read, for new insights and options!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Advantage of Anger, February 24, 2011
DB (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The process outlined by Dr. Cannon makes a lot of sense of to me. I like the systematic logic. It gives a way to resolve an anger incident and get to a better state accompanied with new insights. Instead of just being an unwilling victim, it offers a way through the problem and feel much better relatively quickly. Dr. Cannon has an excellent background of study, practice, experimentation and personal experience that gives her book lots of creditability.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, April 17, 2011
Before reading The Gift of Anger, my solution when faced with a particularly upsetting situation is that "time heals all wounds" and I would eventually "get over it". However, after reading this book, my eyes and mind have been opened up to how to effectively deal with conflict in my life. This book centers around a seven step process to uncover the meaning of your anger and then learn from it to gain strength and peace. Dr. Cannon makes the book come alive with vivid, powerful examples (like the man who was passed over for a promotion or the woman who believes her mother favors her sister) that make you pause and say, "I know how that would feel and I can understand the person's anger and frustration." To me, the charm of the book is that you follow the many people in the examples throughout the seven step process and throughout the book. These examples poignantly demonstrate the principles that Dr. Cannon puts forth and prove they are very relevant in the real world. There are also great exercises throughout the book that challenge readers to practice the seven step process with conflicts in their life. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It was a very easy and informative read. There have been few books that I have ever read that have been more thought-provoking and life-changing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gift of Anger, May 28, 2011
This is a self-help book that works. When you open the pages and read Dr. Cannon's words, you will find yourself entering into a loving yet realistic approach to healing. Through a 7 Step Method, and in a user-friendly manner, she teaches her readers how anger is a means of self-discovery and emotional well-being.

The Gift of Anger is easy to read with plenty of down-to-earth examples of how ordinary people with ordinary issues have used the approach in their everyday lives. I have consumed it and referred it to all of my clients and friends. I can only imagine and hope that her message will spread like wildfire as we each get a taste of this kind, loving yet realistic approach to anger.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, March 31, 2011
The Gift of Anger took me by the hand and led me step by step through one brilliant insight after another. In all my years as a psychotherapist and a coach, I have never encountered this level of clarity and wisdom about anger. This powerful book is destined to become a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book and Tool to Work through Anger, March 8, 2011
This is a fabulous book on the benefits of anger and how to work through its stages to bring healing for everyone. I have found it to be very helpful in working with people in my psychotherapy practice who are struggling with anger, hurt, and cannot seem to find resolution. The stages of healing that Dr. Cannon sets up and guides you to work through are a lovely gift for anyone using this process. It is written well and easy to follow and work with to bring about very positive results. I would highly recommend it as a valuable resource.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›