Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 13, 2006
This was a VERY, VERY, scrumptious read! For any bibliophile, or logomaniac, this is a definite good choice! I paid full list price for this at Borders in Long Beach, CA, and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY! Funny words, neat words, strange and obscure words, everything! You name it! For anyone who loves grandiloquent speech, this is a must!
on August 29, 2006
You don't have to be a PYSMATIC LOGOMANIAC to enjoy this book, but it helps. You'll learn that Dolly Parton is BATHYCOLPIAN, that Osama bin Ladin is a CAITIFF, that H.Ross Perot is MACROTOUS, that H.L. Mencken truly was a NULLIFIAN, and that many lawyers engage in PLEONASM. The words in all caps are among the gems I discovered in this treasure-trove of "overly eloquent words for everday things," which includes a handy "reverse dictionary" in the appendix that enables even the most linguistically challenged reader to become erudite. Among my personal favorites in the book is KAKISTOCRACY (government by the worst people), an apt description of American politics today. I'm urging all my bibliophilic friends to buy this splendid book.
on January 4, 2007
What a humbling experience! As one who has been an avid and faithful reader of, among others, both William F. Buckley and John Kenneth Galbraith, I've been a collector of unusual words for the past 35 years. So, when I received my holiday gift of "The Gilded Tongue: Overly Eloquent Words for Everyday Things", I thought that perhaps I might pick up a new word or two. Wrong! While I don't have the exact statistics (which is a bit surprising in itself, insofar as I'm a CPA by training), I'd speculate that 90% of the entries in this volume were foreign to me. So, if you enjoy stretching your brain a bit with words that go far beyond the obscure, have I got a book for you! I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Appendix of Web Sites for Word Lovers (a great resource), the Reverse Dictionary (very useful), and the quite luxurious velvet cover (so very appropriate).
on October 7, 2006
The Guilded Tongue, by Rod Evans, is truly a verbal Temple of Venus, a wonder-sphere of verbal angels, a veritable batallion of shape-shifting powers generating ornamental delight that magically enchants the work-a-day world with its usual banal and caucaphonic emissions of brain-dead verbs, and tongue-tied adjectives, logostatic cliches, and tired idioms that constitute the bulk of most human talk. This beautifully-bound and thoughtfully laid out tome will equip one with circumlocutive skils enabling perfumed verbal fogs to roll off the tongue and stun ones rivals and enemies, or to empower and augment the language of love. Here truly are Apollo's lyre and Pan's pipes to warm an afternoon of love, to elevate conversation from the depths of bathos to the high sublimity of philosophical song. Say goodbye to the dingy world of witless verbal sobriety and become intoxicated with the nectar of these exotic word-flowers. Join the all-but-forgotten dance of the maters of verbal wit and demand to hear more refined speech than all the dictionaries of the world can pour forth, just as one might wish to eat finer bread than than wheat mills can produce, to wear finer clothes made from cloth that no spinning wheel can create. Thank you, Rodney Evans, whoever you are, for generously sharing what must have been decades of research in the lexifluous and recondite and rotting treasures in old books, dungeons, attics where time and language have stood still. A warning to the reader: read this book with caution--it has many secrets to tell, not all of them are drawing-room tame.
55 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
The binding is as unusual as the contents. This is a list of extremely obscure words, some of which I think might be created once for a specific work before being listed once again in this book. Before you use anything you find inside, you should probably run it past the OED and see if it actually exists, and if it does what the official definition might be.
on August 10, 2007
I loved this book. I learned so many words that I can remember because they are fun to use and useful in almost any situation in life. It was a great book and I recommend it to anyone that wants to extend their vocabulary.
on August 29, 2006
The Gilded Tongue is as entertaining as it is educational in defining this collection of exotic but relevant & even handy words. I enjoy dipping into the book to learn about an obscure word's humble roots. Professor Evans provides succinct definitions and sample sentences in addition to a pronunciation guide to each word and a list of additional resources, including online ones. Having said all that, my favorite feature is that The Gilded Tongue includes a valuable reverse dictionary so that I can use it to find the words I want. The Gilded Tongue is a highly valuable resource!
on October 4, 2006
It has never hurt anyone to expand their knowledge of language, and this book will certainly help those who so choose. Your friends won't understand anything you say! The book has been nicely produced with a velvet cover and gilded letters (I wonder where they got that idea?)Belongs on every writers bookshelf.
on December 18, 2011
This book is an absolute delight! If you love words, you would really be doing yourself a great service by buying this book!
Advice: Read this book with a bag of Hershey's Kisses at the ready!
on December 29, 2009
I'm sure there is a better word for the title, and it is in this book! Got several of these for Christmas gifts and they are fantabulous! Just the right touch of edification, elucidation, conviviality, and effervscent exeuberance to enhance our season's cheer. The gilded purple velvet cover is excessive in exactly the right way. They arrived on time, and better than described.