Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Gingerbread Boy (Folk Tale Classics)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 25, 2000
My three and a half year old son loves this story which is about a gingerbread boy who runs away from people and animals who want to eat him, only to wind up in a river, on the back of a sly fox, who pretends not to be interested in him. The fox eats the boy but this story is not scary. My son tells me it is "OK that the fox ate the gingerbread boy because he is really a cookie, and not a real boy". I would not recommend this book to kids who are three and younger as it might scare and confuse them. This is an older traditional story, a classic. Highly recommended.
on December 8, 2010
Paul Galdone brings us another cheery, faithful rendering of a classic fairy tale. In it, an old woman decides to bake a gingerbread boy, but when she opens the oven he leaps out and runs away, chanting a repetitive "catch me if you can!" jingle to everyone he meets. He gathers a salivating crowd behind him and is running merrily along when he meets a fox, who slyly offers to carry him across the river on his tail. As the water rises, the Gingerbread Boy is gradually enticed closer and closer to the fox's mouth and then (spoiler alert) he is gobbled up, to the disappointment of all his pursuers.

Galdone delivers his tale with lively nursery-room repetition, as the Gingerbread Boy taunts everyone with the same words and the story builds along with the hungry crowd. While some sensitive children might be disappointed when the Gingerbread Boy finally goes "the way of every single gingerbread boy that ever came out of an oven," once they are over the initial shock they may even envy the fox, who enjoys this delightful confection. If they can get their hands on a gingerbread boy of their own they may be inclined to re-enact the story.

Because Galdone chooses the term "gingerbread boy" instead of "gingerbread man," the runner's taunt doesn't quite rhyme, and for this reason some readers may prefer a story which refers to the cookie as "man." Still, this is a great fit for preschoolers and early elementary listeners, and makes a good read-alone as well.
on January 7, 2012
Love this story, captivating for preschoolers (I worked in a preschool before reading this book)... my son loves it. I think it has a good lesson also, not to tease, not to trust strangers and being careful because people that appear good could be bad.
on May 16, 2014
I use the Kindle Cloud Reader on an iPad. Had to contact Amazon support because I couldn't enlarge the pictures, only to find out the normal pinch-and-zoom feature we are all now trained to use is apparently not allowed by the publisher, Houghton Mifflin. It is a shame you can't enjoy the beautiful artwork of the original. And no matter what size the secondary, newly added text is, it appears clunky and out of sync. You have to squint to actually see the illustrations, and that's a shame because it's what my kid enjoys so much about books. Do not waste your money on the digital version until they do a better job with it. This is likely going to be the case with a lot of wonderful classics, but I'll keep trying until I find a publisher who is doing things better. So while I LOVE the story, I truly HATE what Houghton has done with it digitally. Wake up, publishers!
on November 23, 2013
This is the version of the classic runaway tale that I have always chosen to use as the foundation for my Pre-K gingerbread man unit. It is definitely one of the best versions of this story. You can't go wrong with a Paul Galdone tale.
on May 25, 2013
I have 2 versions of the Gingerbread Boy and this is one of them. When I was a child I remember my mother baking little gingerbread men and I loved the story as a child. So when I found this one by Paul Galdone, I had to get it because I really, really love his illustrations. His style is whimsical and fun and the hardcover edition is beautiful to look at. My child loves this book and it is a favorite at bedtime.
on December 27, 2012
I don't understand why it is Gingerbread Boy instead of Gingerbread Man. That is how the original story is and my Grandson is disappointed because in school it is Man. It is hard to read, not full screen unless I just don't have the settings right. Probably won't read very often.
An old woman and an old man have no kids, so the old woman makes a gingerbread boy. When she opens the oven, the gingerbread boy jumps out and runs away. He gets chased by the old woman and old man, a cow, a horse, and some farmers out threshing. Eventually, a fox manages to catch the gingerbread boy through cunning, and the fox eats him up. Some kids may find the story quite scary, and may find the unhappy ending a bit disconcerting. But it's a classic tale and quite engaging. The book has about 1300 words.
on November 30, 2009
A favorite book for my children. Wish it was called the Gingerbread MAN instead of boy, though. Also - wish it included the rhyme: "Run, Run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man" a little bit more often - but overall a classic book for your kids! Highly recommended! Paul Galdone's THE THREE LITTLE PIGS is even better!!!!
on July 12, 2013
My granddaughter and I made gingerbread men cookies as a result. Such a fun book with so many more themes to explore such as: family relationships, making good decisions, obedience and lots of "What would you do" questions. Altogether good time was had by all!