Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 23, 2009
Reading "The Gingerbread Pirates" is our new family tradition. In early December we'll bake & decorate gingerbread pirates for our friends & Santa. Precious happy time with our kids. Delightful story & illustrations. Love this book.
on December 16, 2010
My 3.5 year old son loved this book about swashbuckling cookie pirates. The story presents an original twist on the classic Christmas magic story, as Captain Cookie works to gather his crew and save them from being consumed by Santa on Christmas Eve. Staircases become cliffs, a cookie jar a prison, and a Christmas tree a glowing beacon in the night. Though the language is complex for a preschooler at times (cutlass, peg leg, cannons, cannibal), and I worried the concept would be a little challenging, my son was able to follow the story with surprising ease. The pictures are so clear they help to teach concepts, should you wish to. The first time we read it, we got to the last page (spoiler alert!) and my son gasped and exclaimed, "The cookie turned into a real toy!" I love that he grasped this concept; the idea was not directly spelled out, but implied from one line of text and a picture. That's great storytelling.
on November 6, 2009
What a wonderful book! Great story and awesome illustrations. This will surely be a new holiday tradition in our household. Thanks, Kristin and Matt!
on November 6, 2009
Wonderful story and beautiful illustrations. Can't wait to read it to my niece! It will definitely be a holiday tradition at our house. I'm purchasing several for gifts!
on January 18, 2016
This is a very cute story with very nice illustrations. It's hard for me to buy a children's book that I haven't touched or seen in person. But we are pirate fans with a four year old grandson. This is a charming story with a traditional Christmas story ending. It's worthy of being a Christmas reading tradition. I am pleased with the purchase and would buy again. I might even need my own copy since I gave this one as a gift.
on December 17, 2012
Both my 2 and my 5 year old sons love this book. We originally checked it out at the library, but it's become such a favorite book that we bought a copy. Both my boys love looking at the pictures as well as hearing the story. It's requested every night as the bedtime story.

At the request of both my boys, we made gingerbread pirate cookies this year. And they each made their own "Captain Cookie" as well as Dots and Wavy.

This book is fun and adventurous - just up my boys' alley.
on February 9, 2016
We love this book! I have a 1 year old, 4 year old, and 7.5 year old. During the holiday season, we like finding fun Christmas themed books, and I came across this one this year. I am so glad I did. It kept the attention of all 3, and we have read it hundreds of times since then. Highly recommended, for both boys and girls!
on December 30, 2010
Outstanding! Lots of fun! Not boring, (in my opinion) as another reviewer wrote)!! Jim and his mother baked Christmas pirate cookies (made out of gingerbread), on Christmas Eve. Jim takes the Captain ookie and places him on his night stand. During the night, Captain cookie comes to life and searches for his crew . . . meets Santa Claus etc. My 4 year old (boy) and 7 year old (girl) loved it! As well as mom!
on December 14, 2012
I bought a copy of this last year. I loved the story line (it's a favorite at our house) and illustrations so much that I bought this one as a gift. I was disappointed that it was a smaller version than we have. This one is about the size of a standard Dr. Suess book, just a bit wider. It does not do the illustrations as much of a favor as the larger copy.
on August 20, 2013
The book has led to many pirate "adventures" with Captain Cookie and the crew. The story extends well past Christmas for us and even included Grandma and Grandpa changing into pirate costumes in arrivals at the Nashville airport. His play reflects the story line and he often quotes passages word for word and he is only five years old. When we are not available to read to him he will look through the book on his own. Definitely a hit at our house.