5.0 out of 5 stars Let Aurora enchant you...
Published on October 30, 2011 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
Published 19 months ago by Jaykay

5.0 out of 5 stars Let Aurora enchant you..., October 30, 2011
This review is from: The Girl on the Cliff (Paperback)
The Girl on the Cliff is a novel with many strands. There's the present day story of how Grania Ryan meets Aurora Devonshire on the edge of a cliff, how the relationship between the two of them changes their lives, how it brings up a lot of resentment for Grania's mother who has long been privy to the feud between the Ryan family and the Lisle family. The novel starts in present day, but eventually, we head back in time, to how the Lisles and the Ryans came to feud. How moments in time made it so that the Ryans and the Lisles saw each other as enemies and the Ryans worried that the Lisles would forever make them miserable, would forever ruin their lives... I mean, there's so much going on in the novel that I couldn't possibly describe it all, but it all culminates in the present day relationship between Grania and Aurora and how, despite having a decades-long feud, one little girl can be an instigator for change.

The novel may include many characters, but the character who makes a lasting impression is Aurora. She may only be a child, but she's one of the most wise and grown-up children characters you'll ever meet. It's like she has a sixth sense most of the time and I fell totally in love with her. She's so captivating and I so admired her spirit. For a girl who has lost so much, for a girl without her mother, her exuberance and joie de vivre and lust for life is just awesome. She acts so much older than her age - 8, 9 - and I can see exactly why Grania completely fell in love with her.

The many different stories and layers that make up the novel are also exquisite. Mary's war-time story was massively captivating - what she did, what she sacrificed, how it mirrored what Aurora was doing, was so lovely to read. The most difficult part of the novel to read, for me, was the story of Lily, Aurora's mother and Grania's mother Kathleen's cousin. That story wasn't pleasant, but it answered a lot of questions and was a necessary part to the story. The entire novel is like one big puzzle and we slowly learn of all the pieces until we have a completely jigsaw. Riley's ability it just something else. The telling of the novel is at just the right pace that kept me reading and we were told just enough during each chapter to whet our appetites for more and leave us with fewer and fewer questions until the novel reached its satisfying conclusion.

Lucinda Riley knows how to write a captivating novel. From the early war-time to present day, the entire book was just immense. I had a couple of issues with the writing of the novel (Irish writers, with the greatest of respect, sometimes write the most bizarre sentences: "I'm for my bed" for example and adding "so it is" and "so you know" unnecessarily into sentences and the American parts of the novel were somewhat forced "I'm real sorry", "I'm real tired", "I gotta go") but I didn't let it detract from the book. Because The Girl on the Cliff is immense. It's layered, it's intricate, it's just brilliant. I was hooked the entire time I was reading and Aurora, Grania, Lily, Mary... Their stories will stay with me. Aurora's most of all, the most captivating character I've read this year. This book is about lots of things, lots of important things, but everybody who finishes the novel will remember Aurora most of all. I'm very, very pleased I gave this novel a go because I wouldn't have half missed a truly brilliant read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great escape, November 26, 2011
This review is from: The Girl on the Cliff (Paperback)
I just finished this saga last night, a wonderful, involved novel of two families and the effect that they had on one another through the generations. I was completely caught up in Grania's story, set mostly in Ireland, through whose point of view most of the novel is told. She has left her fiance, Matt, behind in England to return to her home in Ireland. During her stay with her Mam (love that word!) she encounters a girl on the cliff, Aurora, who completely captivates her heart much to Grania's mother's dismay.

So Grania is given, through letters and flashbacks, the history of Aurora's family. How her grandparents interacted with Grania's and the devastations that occurred due to war. Selfishness, fear and love.

In the end, Grania must decide if she will stay with Matt. She must balance her pride and her love to make their relationship succeed.

The Girl On The Cliff is a perfect blend of romance and intrigue, with characters crafted carefully enough that they seem to jump from the page into real life. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Family Saga, February 10, 2012
This review is from: The Girl on the Cliff (Paperback)
The Girl on the Cliff is the saga of two families in Southern Ireland, whose connections go back a hundred years. There are hints quite early on that there are dark and terrible secrets hidden away, but frankly a fair way in I was enjoying the book but thinking that the secrets did not seem to be particularly dark or terrible. However, it later emerges that there are some quite nasty skeletons rattling around in the cupboard.

The story involves Grania, who has been living in New York and has just suffered a miscarriage. She comes back to her childhood home away from her long term partner Matt. She soon meets a young girl, Aurora, out on the cliffs who is from the Lisle family, Grania herself being a Ryan. Grania is soon closely involved with Aurora and her father and the family histories are gradually revealed as the book switches between the relevant time periods.

I thought the character development was very good. The author clearly has the ability to let her readers get under the skin of her main characters. This particularly applied to the main modern day players, Grania, Matt and Aurora and it was very easy to appreciate their hopes and fears. Some of the historical figures were also very interesting.

This is not my normal sort of reading material, so it speaks volumes that I thoroughly enjoyed it and read through it very quickly. At times it was a little predictable and I found myself jumping ahead of the story as key developments were flagged up in advance, though I did not feel this reduced my enjoyment of the book. However, the story retained the ability to surprise and there is certainly a big one waiting at the end.

When I finished, I wanted more of this tale and in a way I think it was a shame that the author did not decide to write a trilogy covering this saga. Some of the less well explored aspects of the story would certainly have merited further development. I am certainly interested in reading more work by Lucinda Riley after this introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a walk through history!, April 10, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - the story telling goes over several generations, weaving in and out, back and forth between generations. Plus the love stories and subtle twists. Excellent, fun read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, February 28, 2013
I was a bit disappointed with this book as quite a few reviewers gave it 5 stars. I thought the story was contrived and overly sentimental. I didn't particularly like the character of Grania, I thought her partner Matt was better off without her to be honest.And what's with Aurora. She is supposed to be 8 years old. Even allowing for a sense of maturity she was 8 going on 55. It was a bit like a soap opera. Okay but nothing special.

1.0 out of 5 stars I had such high hopes..., November 25, 2012
After having read The Orchid House, I was really excited to read this book. My problem from the start (spoilers ahead) was the lack of communication between Grania and Matt. And then to find out later that she just took off based on something stupid that his father said. It was weak. What a selfish woman to just run off after losing a baby and not take or offer comfort to the baby's father whom she claimed to love. It was a character flaw I found hard to forgive.

Lucinda Riley should not write about America. The "American" slang was way off base. No one, unless they are crude and kind of stupid, greets his girlfriend with "How's it hanging". She took this phrase as something we say to each other every day in America and really it's pretty limited to frat brothers and red necks. Also, Matt calling Grania "Babe" after being apart for so long and shacking up with another woman was rediculous. I would never allow anyone I had been away from for that long call me "Baby" or "babe" and any other term of endearment. I also can't imagine anyone from Connecticut calling anyone "honey". His lack of anger toward Grania was totally unbelievable. I can't imagine anyone not harboring anger and betrayal after 4 months, a marriage, and an adopted daughter, all of which he was in the dark about. And how about Matt's affair with Charlie? Grania accepts him back after he was willing to marry someone he didn't love just because of one night? This isn't the dark ages. Matt lost all credibility with me at that point.

I was also distracted and annoyed by the thrown in character that put Charlie in the fertility clinic. He came to get a borrowed book from Grania, sees Charlie, recognizes her, and then congratulates Matt on finally concieving? Is this guy smoking pot? His addition to the plot line was clumsy and again, unbelievable. His connection to Grania was too much of a stretch.

Wouldn't people notice their friend was on fertility treatments? Does Lucinda Riley even know what these treatments do to women? It's hard on their bodies and their hormones can make drastic changes to their moods. I found it impossible to believe that she was going through treatments at this fertility clinic and none of her friends knew about it. If I were a single woman wanting to have my own child and that was the only way to go about it, I would want the support of my friends and family. And what about the lack of propriety on Charlie's end? She could get pregnant from someone she didn't know and have a baby by herself but Matt had to marry her after a one night stand? That's an odd double standard, which makes that whole scenario too strange to get over.

The straw that broke the camel's back was Aurora's plane trip to New York. I have a smart, strong willed 8 year old son. He would never try anything like that. It's hard to get him to go around the block by himself. Aurora should have been cast much older than 8 if the trip to NY was to be believed. Would people really let an 8 year old on a plane without a parent or guardian dropping them off at the gate??? I sure hope not.

And don't get me started on the historical story line...

Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed. Orchid House was very thought out and the pieces fit. This book was thrown together and careless.

5.0 out of 5 stars The girl on a cliff is a must read!!!, December 18, 2011
This review is from: The Girl on the Cliff (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and felt obliged for the very first time to write a review!

This book had me hooked from the very start.
The characters in the story were brought to life so beautifully by the writer you felt as if you really got to know and love them as they took you through their journy sharing all their thoughts and feelings i felt compelled to keep reading.
The story takes you through generations of two families consistently interlinked through generations and the story unfolding as you make your way through this wonderful book keeps you coming back for more.
I am actually going to miss reading about them. This is the first book that has ever made me cry!
I will definitely be reading the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars this one needed to be edited more but overall ok, June 20, 2013
Whew! By the time I reached the halfway mark, it felt like I had finished the book. This story kept going on and on and on. The connection between the many years of the Ryan and Lisle families was a run-on sentence at times - I needed a breather! The main character, Grania, who leaves NY for home in Ireland because of a miscarriage was a wanderer like the other women in the book. She was basically the character of Anna, Mary, Aurora, Lily, Kathleen ... their life stories were meshed together. Aurora was an old soul; she would interject now and then during the flashbacks and present and I really got annoyed when she had her turn to speak - she was so manipulative and I didn't like her talking and pausing the button, so to speak, on the story. Her story.

My favorite of the strong women in the story would have to be Mary. I really liked her character and felt the author botched her relationship with Anna.

Charlotte Bronte penned the line, 'Reader, .... and I didn't like to see that 'copied' and used in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected More, June 7, 2013
This review is from: The Girl on the Cliff: A Novel (Paperback)
This was just an ok book. Very weak characterisation. The plot was extremely predictable and silly at times. Read like a romance novel! I don't think I will read another book by the aurhor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, March 29, 2013
Donna Martens (SUN CITY, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl on the Cliff: A Novel (Paperback)
I read 80 pages and literally threw this book aside in disgust. I had high hopes but it is so poorly written, I couldn't read another word. The dialogue is trite, the grammar is atrocious and the story dragged. I should have paid more attention to the reviews, particularly the negative ones. Don't waste your time, or your money for that matter, on this book!

The Girl on the Cliff: A Novel
The Girl on the Cliff: A Novel by Lucinda Riley (Paperback - October 30, 2012)
$16.00 $12.82