5.0 out of 5 stars A Movie Out of the Maddening Crowd

Published on July 7, 2005 by Six Up

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl in the Cafe, July 7, 2005
Six Up (Petersburg VA USA) - See all my reviews
Bill Nighy is a British Civil servant who meets a cute girl played by Kelly MacDonald. Nighy is on his way to the G-8 Summit, and he decides to take Kelly's character Gina along as a traveling companion. Now you have to suspend your disbelief. It is no harder than believing you see a thousand ships in front of the walls of Troy. What follows is a tender love story leavened with a spoonful of social change commentary. The young woman is admitted to the dinners at the Summit with the Civil Servant who is there to help negotiate a treaty on poverty. The agenda is much like the Summit of G-8 in Gleneagles, Scotland, July 2005. The story ends with a surprise. It is all a little sappy, but the story is played well by a really good cast. MacDonald is a treasure, and Nighy is a real pro. See it. Enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Movie Out of the Maddening Crowd, May 29, 2013
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
This has a low key, very sly and subtle script allowing for many smiles and laugh out loud sequences to offset the serious drama of engaging high stakes international policy making. It embraces a few days of a relationship between two lonely and sad people who decide to spend some time lighting up each others lives. The acting and dialogue are so well timed and delivered that one could easily miss how expressive the major characters deliver the goods. The story line is believable and there are no "how could that really happen" moments to dispense with. Bill Nighy's physical propensities are hilarious although understated, I suppose. Kelly MacDonald is very good looking which was only moderately used within the context of the film. Her facial expressions were used rather than dialogue in many of the more moving, thought provoking scenes. This film reminds me of the older genre of film making where nuance reigned and the films required apt attention to detail to pick up the full story. I just love this film!

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic Comedy with a message, July 3, 2005
I saw this the other night at it's televsion debut. And I have to say it was a wounderful story. Though it covers a serious topic, poverty and the G-8. I am sure that screenwriter Richard Curtis wrote this so that it would be released in time for everone to see it before the G-8 summit. And I hope they saw it. The G-8 summit was the weekend of 2 July 2005.

The film is a Romantic Comedy staring Bill Nighy as Lawrence, a financial advisor working for the Chancellor of the Exchequer of the U.K. And co-stars Kelly Macdonald as Gina, the young woman Lawrence meets in the Cafe. This unlikely couple strikes up a relationship of sorts. And Lawrence invites Gina to accompany him to Iceland, where he is attending the G-8 summit. Gina shows a genuine interest in Lawerence's work and she starts to make comments based on what she has learned from him. This ends up jeopardizing Lawrenes job. He has to decide what is more important, what may be his own happines or the career he spent years building.

The movie does get its political message out. Which I believe was to point out how important the G-8 summit is. And the power the eight members have to end world poverty. In the end though, I could not give it five stars because the fate of the desperate lives of Third World residents just cannot let you enjoy the story about two awkwardly shy people reaching out for each other. But given the subject matter the acting is superb, as is the direction. I do plan to buy the DvD if it is ever released.

4.0 out of 5 stars A timely and poignant film..., July 5, 2005
HBO proves once again that great movies are made for TV. This very timely and poignant film, set against the backdrop of the 2005 G8 Summit, is a mix of romance and politics that both entertains and povokes. Think Love Actually meets Lost in Translation and CSPANs Road to the Whitehouse. Bill Nighty (Love Actually) is brillant as a charmingly pathetic bureaucrat who goes against his past socially withdrawn tendencies in to find companionship with Kelly Macdonald. Richard Curtis(Love Actually, as well) does a fantastic job of melding current affairs into a wonderfully written script. Great settings, great dialogue. A must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a love story, January 7, 2014
Leona Stucky-Abbott (Santa Fe, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
This movie is much more than a love story. It's sparse dialogue sinks one into the significant characters. Their humanity and depth eventually emerge. It is a story about courage and purpose hidden within a touching revelation of relationship where each tiny step is significant.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my topTEN!!, June 27, 2014
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
Wonderful best kept secret movie about what is important in our world, and who makes those decisions. Good luck finding it especially a new one you can afford. Suggest watching on streaming Amazon Prime or Netflix if they have it and you don't want to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Funny and Life Affirming, March 30, 2014
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
This was a total surprise. Didn't expect to fall in love with it, great cast (I have a special love for Bill Nighy and Kelly Macdonald pulls you right in with her sweet performance. The story was timely too.

4.0 out of 5 stars This movie starts out slow, but it gets better, funny, and dramatic at times, December 7, 2014
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
This movie starts out slow. You don't expect a movie to start out with absolutely no dialogue.

Even after the two main characters met, I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with this movie, but it does get better.

Not only does it have a lot of comedic moments, it is also a bit of a behind-the-scenes look at the G8 summit in Reykjavik, Iceland.

I normally don't enjoy movies that look at political situations, but this look at the G8 was delightful, as our heroine relates with and debates information that is presented to her at social occasions behind the scenes at the summit.

I didn't give this movie five stars because I really do not want to watch this a second time, like I do many other movies, but it is still a good movie, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't watch it again in a few years.

I highly recommend this film to your comedic/dramatic/ironic interests.

5.0 out of 5 stars My number one favourite movie ever, July 1, 2014
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
My number one favourite movie ever. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it wouldn't play in our region when I ordered it....oops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our second time around, April 5, 2014
Hertzel Grotch (Lexington VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl In The Café (DVD)
My wife loaned our first copy and it never came back. She liked it so much, I bought her a second copy. I sat down and saw it with her and I liked it as well. So, now we are both happy with it and we view it from time to time. A good re-buy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Girl In The Café
The Girl In The Café by David Yates (DVD - 2012)
$19.98 $17.44