Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 18, 2011
Beatrice Bottomwell is famous in her town, though most people don't have any idea of her real name. She is known simply as "the Girl Who Never Makes Mistakes." Beatrice is ultra careful and methodical and quite enjoys her error free life. Still, solid perfection must be a lot of pressure for a little girl.

When Beatrice arrives at school each morning, she is perfectly put together, with her homework ready to turn in. She has won the Graysville talent show three years in a row with her juggling act, and feels quite confident about adding a fourth year to her name. Beatrice's little brother Carl is not famous, as his typical day includes a whole raft of mistakes. He eats his crayons (non-toxic!) and draws with his green beans.
On the morning of the talent show, something very unusual happens. Beatrice almost makes a mistake. While carrying four eggs from the refrigerator to the counter, she slips on a stray piece of rhubarb and .... airborne eggs! Scrambling, reaching, and grabbing - Beatrice manages to nab all four eggs safely to retain her title of the Girl Who Never Makes Mistakes. No shells were cracked, no yolks were spilled, and yet Beatrice can't help thinking of her close call. Could she make a mistake?

That night at the talent show, Beatrice performs her usual juggling routine. Everyone expects her usual perfection. Instead, there is a mishap that results in the Girl Who Never Makes Mistakes standing on stage, soaking wet, covered in pepper, with a hamster flat on her head. This was her first mistake and it was a big one. Beatrice is shocked, the crowd is stunned.Then Beatrice starts to laugh - a mistake is not the end of the world.

I don't think any real attempt was made to disguise the obvious lesson, which is fine by me. Children need to learn to deal with failure. If they cannot grasp that concept, they will become paralyzed by fear, which will keeping them from trying new activities. After Beatrice's mistake, she starts living more carefree. Taking a page from Carl's book, she acts sillier and consequently has a lot more fun. Of course that is am important lesson for kids to learn. Who better to teach it than Beatrice Bottomwell and her hamster?
on November 19, 2011
I am an adult and I picked up this book because I saw it sitting somewhere while I was waiting for someone. This may sound overdramatic, but as I read the book, I couldn't help feel like it was also written for adults, for people--or women--like me. I guess it's the old saying that a good children's book will speak to the parent just as much as the child. I think I got a little flushed reading it, had to put it down, could feel myself getting emotional.

I have always been that girl, the one whose identity as a child and as an adult has somehow been wrapped up in how I "never" make "mistakes." I can't believe this book isn't already a hit among adults, passing it on to each other when something goes wrong at work, or in life, as a simple (and funny) way to say "hey, relax. you're really good at what you do, but everyone f***s up."

I think I'm going to buy a few copies, just to give to my friends when they start beating themselves up over something they did wrong. Thank you, to the authors, for writing this book.
on April 3, 2012
I am an elementary school counselor and I teach lessons around the message that it's okay to make a mistake and we all make them. Most importantly - how to recover from a mistake! Kids are working hard everyday practicing and acquiring new skills in so many areas. Part of growing up is learning how to deal with making a mistake. This is a brand new book to my shelf so I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. It's going to be a HIT. No doubt about it because of the empowering message. Kids need to hear it's absolutely OKAY to flub up because as we say in our school: Mistakes are opportunities for learning. Mistake DOES NOT mean failure or there is something wrong with you. Sometimes children get that stuck in their heads. You're going to appreciate this new one. It's well written with great illustrations.
33 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2012
I was looking for a book for a friend of mine's daughter in the book store and luckily stumbled upon this wonderful book! I teach elementary art and I read a lot of wonderful children's stories, this has been one of my favorites. As an art teacher, I notice that many students are concerned with their art being perfect or "just right." This book was delightful on so many levels! I immediately shared it with our school librarian and she selected it for our school-wide literacy study for the students. This has helped students realize that it is okay to mess up, and that we ALL make mistakes. I highly recommend this book for children and adults!
on October 18, 2011
I think all of these reviews of The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes are "spot on." I attended the book signing by Mark Pett at Hicklebee's in San Jose, CA yesterday. It was AWESOME! Mark did a mini drawing lesson with the children who were present and then he signed his books in a very personal and creative way. The book and "lesson" are wonderful but watching Mark in action was superb. Kudos to this outstanding author/illustrator!!!
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2011
What would it be like to be perfect everyday of your life? Beatrice Bottomwell knows exactly what it's like and loves every minute of it. That is, until one day during class when she almost makes her first mistake. Having never thought about the possibility of making a mistake before she now lives in constant fear that her world is about to change for the worse. What happens when her fears come to fruition? Will she still be the carefree girl she's always been and will she ever be happy again?

This is the first picture book that I've read that dealt head on with the issue of making mistakes and it was wonderful. Not only did I appreciate it as an adult who suffers from a bad case of perfectionism, but my son enjoyed it for many of the same reasons. Though the Turkeybird does make mistakes (quite often as he's only four) he's also prone to expecting to be able to do everything he sets his mind to and perfectly at that. He also is inclined to think it's funny that his little sister is often found falling and tripping over her own feet. It's never out of meanness mind you, just the sort of silliness to little kiddos have when playing and laughing together. But what I found with reading The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes with him was that it helped him to realize you never need to take anything so seriously that it ruins the fun of living and enjoying what you're doing. Which was exactly what he needed since he often gets incredibly serious about certain tasks he's set out to complete.

When perfection and being the very best is often at the forefront of people's minds it's good to remember that life can be just as fun with a few mistakes. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes by Mark Pett and Gary Rubinstein is a fantastic book for children and adults who may suffer from a bit of perfectionism or who simply want to read a great new book. In our home, filled with perfectionists and one clumsy little adorable girl, it was just what we needed to have a good laugh and realize life is for living even if we make a few mistakes along the way. Fall in love with Beatrice Bottomwell and the story of how she became the girl who does make mistakes, happily.

My original review was posted at There's A Book.
on March 1, 2012
It's impossible not to fall in love with the main character Beatrice Bottomwell and I've seen so many kids really respond to this book. It has the perfect message without being preachy and it's a great bedtime read!
on February 8, 2014
This was a good attempt, but it would have been better if the author spoke about the feelings that go along with the pressure she put on herself to never make a mistake, and then how she felt when the pressure was removed.
on October 11, 2011
I loved Rubinstein's book about his first year of teaching and he has another winner in this one! As a parent I sometimes lose sight of this lesson when I push my son to get perfect marks. The story teaches an important lesson to children (AND parents)that perfectionism is overrated! Thanks for another great story!!!
on September 11, 2015
Yup I love it! Nice quality book, great story, and great lesson. My son has read it 6 or so times so far. I also read it to him. It is a good book to read again and again, since it has good words to learn, a good lesson, and it's entertaining.

Smart! This is how children's books should be written! Deep wisdom and thought are put into a simple story for every child to learn and enjoy..
Written with intention for deeper moral principals and learning, not just a nonsensical book for reading and learning vocabulary, grammar and reading skills, but wisdom too!

For my son who is overly worried about making mistakes and doing things perfect.....it's perfect!