Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 18, 2006
I am giddy, absolutely giddy, with delight over this book. First off, let me admit that I love "guides" of this sort, so I was already pretty excited before it arrived. But this truly is a must-have guide for young women. It is a seriously helpful, but also cute and quite funny, book bursting with information that every woman should really have. I own a bunch of this type of book (such as "The Go-Girl Guide," "Three Black Skirts," "Modern Girl's Guide" and "How to Walk in High Heels"), and this is by far the most comprehensive and useful of all of them. It provides serious, expert advice on everything from how to deal with menstrual cramps, which nutritional supplements to take, and how to balance your checkbook, 6 steps to furthering your career, how to buy a house, set the table, avoid cell phone borishness, how to know when a relationship is over, to how to make an all-purpose vinagrette, 8 ways of wearing the same black dress, how to prevent stress, how to deal with roommates, etc. You can open this book to any page and find thoughtful, serious advice gleaned from experts, and presented in a friendly, humorous manner. Kirsch does not dumb down any of her information, but she manages to keep up a lively, fun style of writing that makes learning how to get rid of rodents an engrossing and funny experience, if you can imagine.

I also love the book's format and design. It has lots of great, charming little illustrations throughout, and tons of sidebars, quotes, special topics, etc. to break up the text and make it easy to find information. It has a very helpful appendix with a checklist of things to check when looking at houses or apartments to buy or to rent. I really wish I had that, as well as a lot of other information in this book, before now. This is a wondeful book, and a perfect gift for any women in their 20s or 30s who you care about.
on November 21, 2006
Sent this to my college-age daughter and WOW did I hit LOTTO. Yours truly looked "brilliant...way cool dad...awesome book...THANKS". She's gone and purchased books (on my nickel) for all her friends in the dorm. I must confess to reading a few chapters and laughing at loud. While I hate to admit it, I think Girl's Guide has better advice then this ol' dad.
on December 3, 2006
This book somehow manages to be hilariously funny, yet also practical enough to be helpful. I dog-eared many pages -- for example, about how to fix a falling hem with iron-fusible tape (how it possible that I never knew such a product existed?). And it answered many questions I never knew I had, such as: what's the purpose of an underwire bra, anyway? I loved it! Good for a straight read-through or browsing.
on December 28, 2007
Melissa Kirsch's book is filled to the brim with helpful, practical information that a girl needs to know to survive in this modern world. It's probably most useful for someone in their 20's, but is a great read for women of all ages.

The book is organised into the following chapters:

Chapter 1: Health and Body Image (information on diet, exercise, stress, physical and mental health)

Chapter 2: Careers and Work (information on resumes, cover letters, job interviews, networking, office etiquette)

Chapter 3: Money and Finance (covers budgeting, credit cards, investing, renting vs buying)

Chapter 4: Etiquette (includes conversation dos and don'ts, table, wedding and phone etiquette and being a good hostess and guest)

Chapter 5: Friends (advice on living with roommates, being a good friend, balancing friendship with dating and de-friending)

Chapter 6: Dating, Sex and Romance (covers first dates, finding a date and a dateable guy, safe sex, break-ups, moving in and long-term relationships)

Chapter 7: Family (advice on how to get along with your parents and siblings)

Chapter 8: Spirituality (covers spirituality and ethics)

Chapter 9: Home Ec (advice on finding a place to live, keeping house, laundry, cooking and how to deal with difficult roommates)

Chapter 10: Fashion (advice on finding what looks best on you, accessorises, beauty treatments, getting a decent haircut and finding the right bra)

The book is very well-written and researched. The author provides references for a number of excellent books in each chapter if the reader would like further information on a particular topic.

All in all, a fantastic book that every girl should own. It makes a great gift too. Highly recommended!!!
on April 11, 2011
Book was very detailed about different little tips and fixes in life! It was a great buy. Overall, it's a great go-to guide. Some parts were a little preachy (i.e. downing people with breast augmentations, saying only 80 year olds should go to the salon for a blowout, tossing all your trendy items after the season for fear of being outdated). A lot of things are a matter or personal preference to the individual. I think the author should keep her opinions about people's preferences to a minimum and stick with helpful advice. But otherwise, I'd recommend it to young adults needing a few pointers.
on February 6, 2013
I have actually learned a lot from this book. It is funny because it is geared towards women just starting out in life but I am in my 40s and have still found it useful and I love the sense of humor with which it is written. You won't regret this purchase (it has stuff guys can learn too) so girls and even boys, get it, it is worth every penny!
on October 31, 2012
I used to work a law firm that had a book shelf in the break room. One day I found this book and could not put it down! Every day on my lunch break I would read a section, look something up, and just flip through it! I no longer work at the law firm. This book even taught me how to quit that job gracefully. Seriously, everything is in this book that you need to know. I no longer have access to the book, so I decided to buy my own copy. It is on its way and I can't wait. Relationships, quitting jobs, drinking, managing money, etiquette, it is all in this book. Our mothers can only teach us so much about life. This will help fill in the blanks. Best go to guide for women everywhere.
on January 9, 2007
My 23 year old daughter absolutely loved this book. She thinks most girls graduating from college need a copy.
on June 3, 2015
I bought this book as a Christmas gift for myself and I love it! The book is really thick and covers a much wider subject range than I would originally have thought, which is cool! Some parts about the author's opinions on spirituality were a little unnecessary in my opinion but I suppose that if the book is meant to be a guide to "everything" and, granted, faith and religion ARE a pretty huge part of life, so I guess it would make sense that she would include it as part of her guide. I also disagreed with some of her opinions on dating but that is to be expected, I just didn't think to anticipate her discussions about orgasm and her advice on moving in with your significant other, etc. Silly me, it IS a guide on "EVERYTHING" and it IS for adults.
If you're reading this review because you're wanting to purchase it as a gift for a young grad, just be aware what worldviews the book endorses, other than that it is a great buy! (Disclaimer: The book is NOT crass or packed with inappropriate humor, it just has a few parts that the subject matter caught me off gaurd.)
Overall though, I really loved this book and I plan on buying a copy for a good friend who hasn't really had anyone around to teach her stuff like this. Great book! Amazing resource!
on April 11, 2007
I stumbled across this book at a bookstore one day while browsing for something to read. I read through a couple chapters that day -- then NEW I had to own it! This book covers everything a "woman" needs to know from finanical information to dating! Written with humor and a style all it's own, this book is sure to keep you entertained for hours -- and you may learn a thing or two!

I highly recommend this for anyone! I thought it would be a "young girls" guide -- but I think it's geared towards women of all ages!