Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on April 1, 2009
I am a huge fan of the Girls next Door. I have only watch a handful of the show on TV and choose instead to wait for the DVD in order to watch them at my pace without commercials. I started getting into the show at the time when the third DVD was being released so I was able to watch the first 3 seasons one after the other. For the fourth season, I was anxiously awaiting the release of the DVD. Initially, I was disappointed since the initial press release stated that only some episodes will have commentaries. Then, I was happy to learn that all the shows will have commentaries. Now my review is based only on the first 5 episodes, but I thought I could give you guys an idea of what to expect. Whereas the first 3 seasons had very good insight in the shooting of the show as well as fun and lighthearted comments, the fourth season's commentary reveals a different side of the GND. The commentaries were done at the time that Kendra and Holly had moved out and Bridget was still leaving in the mansion. All the girls, especially Holly, come off slightly bitter. There are long pauses where nothing is said and the girls tend to go off talking about something else not related to the show that they are commenting on. The commentaries are therefore not as fun to watch. You also have the usual deleted scenes (no commentaries).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2009
I love The Girls Next Door, I have all the seasons, watch every episode, its a really fun and entertaining show. But the dvd...leaves something to be desired. Its really cheaply put together, not a box set, just three discs in one container. The commentary has a lot of reverb, and sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. Since this is one of the last seasons with the Girls in the Mansion, I wish this dvd set could have honored them better with a little more quality. If you like the show, get the set, but don't expect too much.
on April 21, 2009
I have all the other seasons and really like the commentary on those episodes. This is no exception. The girls talk about lots of things concerning when and how they left the mansion and Hef. Kendra talks about Hank and who she's inviting to the wedding. Bridget talks some about her beach series. All of them, especially Holly, have less than flattering comments about the new girls. It's not too catty, but if you've followed the girls for all 4 seasons, it will give you some closure. As to the quality of the set, I ordered on that came with a broken case. Amazon replaced it quickly with another copy also broken. Cheap plastic quality it the reason. I just repaired the 2nd one with duct tape and kept it.
on December 17, 2008
Yesterday afternoon, the folks at Fox sent out an e-mail to the media with the subject "NEW STREET DATE - Girls Next Door Season 4 on DVD March 10". The contents of the e-mail was an updated press release, identical in most ways to the one we originally posted (so we're not going to bother to re-post the entire new one). The date had changed to the new one, of course. But what really got our eyebrows up was that the second paragraph had changed to read this way:

Featuring all 16 original episodes from the fourth season in a sexy three-disc set plus hilarious commentary from Holly, Bridget and Kendra on every episode and over an hour of deleted scenes not show on television, "The Girls Next Door" Season Four DVD collection will be available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada.

The revised press release had also changed the disc-by-disc breakdown to reflect that there are "Commentary on all episodes by Holly, Bridget & Kendra" and "Deleted Scenes" on each of the three discs in this set. We checked with Stacie Hougland over at, and she confirmed that her contents at Playboy had been given the same information: the title was delayed to March to add the commentary tracks and deleted scenes.

article from- Ace(E!Online Message Boards), I just used it

YAY! commentaries!!
on May 4, 2009
I have the first 3 seasons already. They come in these really nice boxes with a sleeve for each disc. SO, I was expecting to receive something similar. Unfortunately, this season the discs come in a cheap plastic holder with 3 spots to hold the discs . It just looks really cheap. I love the GND but this season dvds looks really cheap
on July 9, 2014
You definitely can tell in this season that the producers were beginning to move Kendra front and center. After three solid years of keeping her mostly in the shadows, with Holly's being in the primary focus of the show, all of a sudden Kendra starts taking more and more of Holly's screen time. By midseason just about every episode is centering around Kendra and how she reacts to each situation, even to the point that considerable time is spent on stupid things like non-verbal nonsense in her interviews, i.e. eye rolls, head nods, pantomime.

I can't really figure out a reason for this unless they had been gauging fan reaction and skewing that direction. She did, after all, go on with her own reality show that was much more popular than Holly's. I personally find Kendra to be only a baby step above utterly disgusting, not because of how she looks but because of her low-class ways. The more of Kendra that we see, the more distasteful nonsense we have to deal with.

For that reason alone I think that this is the weakest of the seasons to date, but there also is the commentary (which isn't as good as in the other seasons--by the final few episodes the girlfriends were rushing to get finished), the lack of drop-ins by Playmates, the overexposure of Hugh Hefner (he shows up more and more even as guest-appearing Playmates show up less) and other little hangups. You certainly can tell that the show had run its course by this point.
on March 20, 2011
I am a die hard Girls Next Door Fan and have almost the whole show on DVD! My sister bought me season four for my birthday and I love it!! I didn' t get to see some of these episodes on tv for whatever reason so it was fun seeing a lot of them for the first time! I love the girls and I HATE that the show ended but this season is great! I can't wait to get season five!
on December 17, 2008
Fox sent out a press release on Dec 17th stating that the Season 4 "Girls Next Door" DVD set WILL have commentaries by Holly, Bridget and Kendra on ALL 16 episodes, with over an hour of deleted scenes, not previously aired on TV.

on January 30, 2010
By the 4th season, and the second to last, ever, the Girl's never ceased to amaze me with their direct candor, funny antics and
special moments. Also the 4th season is when the girls seemed to come into their own - especially Kendra. I say Kendra b/c she is the baby bear of the clan and was only a mere 18yo and directly out of high school, and right into one of the spacious rooms
at the Playboy Mansion. This DVD has so many funny episodes, invovling not only the girls in the mansion but also the staff, as
well as Hef and his brother, Keith at the mansion. Outside of the mansion are folks that show up in the GND video collection, including season 4 such as Barbie Benton, Pamela Anderson and several Playboy Playmates from different months and years.

Hef has to be a sport to open up his house, home and life to the E! Channel, and ultimately to his and the girl's fans. Hef seems like a really nice guy, and I'm not saying that, like I'm so totally attracted to him, it's just that he kind of reminds me of my late father, except for the fact that my dad didn't have 3 gf's at a time! Aside from the love life, it's Hef's kind and warm personality, as well as his exceptional hospitality and generosity, that reminds me of my father.
on September 3, 2009
If you're a fan of Girls Next Door you'll love having these DVD's to watch when ever you want. The Girls and Hef are great as usual, and with no comercials it's great!