Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health - And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on May 6, 2007
The Gluten Connection is by far the most important book I have ever read. If you are gluten sensitive, it will change your life; if you are not, it will apply to someone you know. The message gets through that 30% of the population is sensitive to gluten and that the smallest amount of it results in symptoms. In my case, after 3 days of gluten-free existence, the allergies that have plagued me for 30 years disappeared entirely and the muscle tightness that has made me miserable lately was gone as well. I will be eternally grateful to the author for writing this book. Susan Hildebran
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2009
My wife had been on antidepressants for nearly a decade. Even with the medication, her depression persisted. After going gluten-free, her depression ceased, and she is now 100% off the antidepressants, and has been for almost a year. We know for certain it is the gluten because we experimented with many other dietary and supplement changes. When we tried the gluten-free diet, it worked almost immediately. We experimented with a few heavy-gluten meals, and sure enough, within hours or the next day after a heavy-gluten meal, she was severely depressed. The best experiment was a Friday night at the Olive Garden--a big bowl of pasta and lots of breadsticks! All day Saturday she was miserable. I would recommend to anyone struggling with depression, try dietary changes as an alternative to mainstream medications, but in particular, try going gluten-free. If it is your issue, you should notice the difference within just a few days.

This book is one of two that we used as references along the way. The greatest strength of this book is the very long list of all the ways that gluten sensitivity presents itself. For my wife it was depression, but the book documents an amazing array of other things: skin diseases, neurological disorders, autoimmune diseases, digestive disorders, and on and on. About half the book is about the health and medical aspects of gluten intolerance, the other half is recipes and guidelines on cooking. I recommend the book for those looking for a fairly deep treatment of the medical aspects and a short but solid reference on cooking gluten-free.
55 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2007
Good review about the influence of gluten on health. The impact of gluten on human health is just beginning to be seriously considered by the medical community. This book is helpful to those of us who are dealing with this conditon. It helps the average reader to understand the concepts, plus offers recipes to help get started with gluten free living.
on January 3, 2007
Simply stated in this book, the resources alone, can help you determine if gluten is making you sick. It explains why your doctor does not tell you (or know about) guten sensitivity, and offers resources for simple, and quick independent testing.

...a wealth of interesting, and useful information, without plowing through lots of "filler".
on March 27, 2007
I found this book to be very well written and very precise in the information provided. So many of the books on gluten intolerance are sketchy to say the least. This one however, explains gluten intolerance so very well. I was very impressed and will recommend it to new celiac's. A book well worth reading.
on January 14, 2008
This book changed my life. Because I didn't test positive on a blood test for Celiac disease, my doctor disregarded all my symptoms of gluten intolerance. Luckily, I read this book and am now on the road to recovery, after a long time of misery.
on April 11, 2010
I recently decided to go on a gluten free diet due to chronic stomach issues, but wanted more information. This book gave me all I needed to know. Written in a clear, concise, easy to understand way, this is perfect for people who are just starting to learn about gluten intolerance/ sensitivity and people very much in the know alike. I highly recommend it.
on February 8, 2008
This book is essential for those of us who are learning the gluten free lifestyle. I recommend this book and Gluten Free Living for Dummies. Beware of other books that contain factual misinformation. You have to be careful about everything in this lifestyle, including the books you rely on!
on June 26, 2007
The Gluten Connection is a great book for anyone suffering with an ailment that you cannot find help in the general medical community. Shari Liberman explains how gluten sensitivity is at the root cause of many illinesses like migraines, diabetes, and even autisum. She presents a lot of research, and then offers real solutions. There are recipes, and sources for shopping for gluten-free products. This book is an excellent resource!!!
on January 30, 2010
I finally understand the difference between "allergy" and "intolerance"--and that difference MAKES all the difference. Also, there is a chapter that was written just for me: "What to do if a gluten-free diet does not work for you." This information saved my life and I mean that very literally. I am very grateful to the author and would recommended this book very highly to anyone who wants to understand how to take control of their diet and their life.