5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, it's real food.
If you have celiac and you have ever tried to go vegan, you have probably woken up several days later, laughing hysterically: "There's nothing to eat!"

Not so: mayonnaise, meatloaf, brownies--it's all here.

The author also limits recipes that use corn, soy, and sugar, resulting in food that is low glycemic index, allergy-free, vegan and gluten-free...
Published on January 23, 2008 by L*

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Generic
If you are looking for a lesson on veganism and some basic recipes.... this is the book. There are some good ones in here, but alot of recipes seemed like "fillers", just to take up space in the book. For example, there is a recipe for Roasted Vegetables and Salads. Very generic. For a long time vegan, and/or someone looking for recipes that are not common sense, I...
Published on February 14, 2009 by Melissa Brechisci

‹ Previous | 16 7 814 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars no pictures, March 27, 2013
This review is from: The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes (Paperback)
I like that the recipes have common, easy to find ingredients, but I wish there were more pictures then just the one on the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!!!, September 25, 2012
I have been a vegetarian for the past 17 years. For the past year, I have had to adopt a gluten free diet for medical reasons. So, being vegetarian and gluten free, I struggled to find new ideas for dinner. I came across this book and I am in LOVE!!! Even though I am NOT a vegan, every recipe has been AWESOME. I've made about 10 so far and I'm excited to make more. My family is not vegetarian, nor gluten free, nor vegan, but they eat what I cook and they too LOVE these recipes. I think there is a wonderful variety of recipes that are easy and quick to follow. I would absolutely recommend this cookbook to ANYONE regardless of their eating preference.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite cookbooks, June 18, 2013
I love this cookbook; although I am not really vegan, I do like to eat plant based meals, and need to avoid gluten and dairy. The recipes are easy to follow, not too complicated (ingredients), and everything I have made using it has been delicious. My daughter borrowed mine and after a few months had not returned it, and I liked it enough to order a new copy online. What I found is that the ingredients were not so different from what I use in my usual recipe- free cooking, but that the combinations, approaches, and flavorings were different enough that it provided variety in my meal prep. I find that it is easy to get stuck in a bit of a rut cooking wise, and this book helps me to spice up the routine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those gluten and dairy intolerant!, June 23, 2013
Tasty, delicious recipes for those of us who cannot eat gluten or dairy. You do not need to be a vegan to appreciate and enjoy this book, and it won't make you feel like you're trying to recreate those old standards. These are just plain great recipes, several of which I have added to my standard fare. Most are low calorie, but high nutrition, making them suitable for CR (Calorie Restriction) followers as well. The best cookbook I have come across in years. You can always add meat if you are so inclined, but they certainly don't need any additions to be enjoyed as they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars The paperback cover isn't good enough, August 21, 2010
Other people have written about the great recipes in this book. One problem: the cover is a glossy but rather flimsy paperback which can get ruined (corners bent, water damage, etc.) in the kitchen.

I hope they'll publish a hardcover edition because I expect to use this cookbook often. Today I noticed a simple recipe for Spring Rolls, which I have enjoyed at Vietnamese restaurants but never at home. This will be fun.

Meanwhile I suggest buying some clear Contact Paper or an adhesive bookcover (available on Amazon) to protect your cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Staple Cookbook, May 16, 2012
Susan's book is packed full of the basics that are not easy to find such as No Meat meatballs- the bane of every gluten free vegan is to find one good way to make them and Susan has them. I only take it from a 5 because there are no pictures to help for the more exotic entrees. It definately rates as a must have book. Other examples are brownies, a mushroom nut loaf, soup stocks, pie crust, pizza, biscuits and avocado mayo. Susan has managed to make it easy for a novice on up in a concise book form quick and easy to use. Thank you Susan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for gluten free vegan meal ideas, November 8, 2011
I have been eating vegan for a month after my gallbladder crapped out and I had to have it removed. After surgery I was told I could eat anything I wanted but I found animal products made my stomach hurt. Add to that having celiacs disease....I was at a loss for food ideas and felt like I couldn't eat anything. This book is full of great recipes that aren't bland like many other "healthy" cookbooks. Everything is nutritionally balanced but also tasty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally A Gluten Free Vegan Cook Book, November 20, 2013
I had been searching for a gluten free vegan cook book. Looking at vegan cookbooks, many recipes have gluten ingredients.
As other follow celiacs, it gets tiring going through recipe books to find a recipe that you can prepare and not have modify. Wow, I can just pick up this book and open to any page and I can eat it.

I enjoy reading cook books and getting ideas for meal. I am not vegan, but don't eat diary products. This book gives me more ideas to prepare a healthy, GF meals

5.0 out of 5 stars Very specific book meets needs!, March 1, 2013
I needed a book that I could use to help me cut more carbs out of my diet. I also cook for two one being a pescatarian and one a vegetarian, but when I cook I like to cook vegan so this book fit all of the needs I was looking for.
I've made a few recipes so far and they are so delectable and some a lot healthier versions of old staples like 'potato salad made with sweet potato'.
I highly recommend this book for people who are looking to combine the two worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, August 21, 2012
Jennifer (Beaver, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Every recipe that I have tried from this book I have loved! This is food that EVERYONE can eat and is satisfying and delicious! I have brought some of these dishes to potlucks or family dinners and always am asked for the recipe to share, when I recommend this book people are always surprised! This book is for the healthy eater, do not let labels (vegan) scare you away!

‹ Previous | 16 7 814 | Next ›

The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes
The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes by Susan O'Brien (Paperback - December 25, 2007)
$16.95 $14.18