The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$11.94 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 30, 2006
Format: Paperback
It took a very long time for me to read this book. And I mean years. I spent all my youth turning a blind eye to anything anyone said about the Mormon church that made me uncomfortable. It is very true when they say "ignorance is bliss." Also anyone who is raised in any religion is brain-washed to believe what they are taught. But I found myself always not knowing what I was talking about. Would you believe that though I was raised a Mormon I never knew that Joseph Smith was a polygamist and his wife Emma was unaware of some of his marriages and that he married women who already had husbands? (So much for the teaching that Brigham Young only taught polygamy because there was a shortage of husbands.) I also didn't know that Brigham Young strongly taught that Adam was God, and that God lived on a planet called Kolab, and that God came down in the form of a man and had physical relations with Mary to conceive Jesus. I didn't know a thing about blacks being denied the priesthood until 1978, and I could go on and on and on and on. I only started to research these things (against the strong advice of my bishop) because I wanted to be able to "debate" about the truthfulness of my religion to non-members.

Discovery the truth of my religion was a horrible experience for me. I can not express enough how hard it is for a Mormon to leave the religion. Mormonism isn't just a religion. It's your identity and your whole life. It is very important to be understanding to Mormons because leaving Mormonism is no different than leaving your whole life and everyone that loves you. It's a horrible awakening to see the truths of the Mormon church.

Also anyone who goes through the secret rituals of the temple can tell you it's a very shocking experience, whether you believe in it or not. In the temple among many things, I had to promise secrecy with a bloody oath. I drew my thumb across my throat as if my throat was being slit, and I drew my thumb over my abdomen indicating that my bowels would be cut out. I also was angry to learn that someday when I married, my husband would be my way to the Celestial kingdom. In the 80's at BYU we were taught that a woman could only go as high as her husband. (I don't know whether this is still taught or not because many doctrines are changing.)

The final breaking point came for me when I was on my mission in Argentina and I watched at least a few hundred ignorant people who knew nothing about the religion getting baptized. It was honestly like a joke. And I can't count how many children were baptized without their parents even knowing. We missionaries only had permission to take them to church! But the pressure to baptize people is so strong. It's all about numbers. (I myself never baptized because I'm a woman.)

As a former mormon I can tell you first hand how very imbedded the Mormon beliefs are in Mormons. There is no doubt in their mind that their religion is the "one and only true religion." I believe though that someday the Mormon church will be widely known for what it is and that Joseph Smith will be exposed for being a con man. In the meantime, all books and websites written should be done so kindly. Most Mormons are innocent and mormonism is not their fault.
189189 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 7, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book offers up compelling evidence of the many fallacies of Mormonism, using the church's own documents and historical records. Although I am sure any Mormon reading this will be offended and Mormon apologists will attempt to dispute what is written, the bottom line is that even some Mormon scholars cited in this book agree that there have been attempts to rewrite history by Joseph Smith and Brigham Young with regard to the "revelation" of celestial marriage and polygamy as well as other practices that would be damning if the truth were widely known. How anyone could be duped by this cult is nothing short of incredible. So many of the doctrines of this faith are in direct contradiction to the Bible. This is a religion deeply influenced by the occult and virtually all temple practices are occultic in nature. Freemasonry influenced Joseph Smith and this can be seen by descriptions of similar practices between Mormonism and Masonic rites such as secret handshakes, signs, temple garment embellishments, etc. Although the Mormon church presents itself as a church of Jesus Christ, it is anything but. The church teaches that Jesus and Lucifer are spirit brothers, that some sins are not covered by the sacrificial blood of Christ thus the doctrine of blood atonement that is still practiced by fundamentalist sects today. It is truly frightening to peel away the layers of deception and see the real doctrines and beliefs of Mormonism. The authors have provided damning evidence that exposes the real truth behind one of the fastest growing religions of today. I highly recommend this!
on December 1, 1999
Format: Paperback
Being a Mormon for 27 years; I can tell you it is not easy for a Mormon to find out the fallacies of their religion. The Mormon people need to realize it is not the writings of people like Ed Drecker, but their so called prophets that continally contradict the bible and their own teachings.
I do not agree with many of these reviews that claim the book is full of lies--quite the contrary. However, I would not recommend anyone suggest this book to a "True Believing Mormon." True believers tend to be very narrow minded (take it from me I was one; and so are many in my hometown of Rexburg, Idaho, which is an extremely large population of Mormons). This is why I recommend a more loving approach to these true believers. "Mormonism, Mama, and Me" is a book that exposes the corruption in the foundation of the church in a much more loving approach for the "true believer." I was only able to read The God Makers after I had completely left the church--which was a long process and not something that happened over night.
This book is abbrasive; but after many years of research, I belive the truth can withstand scrutiny (it took me many years to come to this realization). Read this book for yourself if you so desire; I did enjoy it. But as I stated earlier do not use this book to witness to true believing Mormons; it is too abbrasive for people who have devoted their lives to not just a religion, but a lifestyle. I pray everyday for Mormons to open their minds and hearts so they may too see the lies in the foundation of the organization they belong to.
God Bless.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I am a Christian woman who has a good grasp of what Mormons believe. I have made it my business to know, because I have worked for two people who are Mormon for over a dozen years, and I care about them very much. This is the third book I have read on Mormonism, and I didn't think I could be any further shocked by the occultic practices of this religion. I was wrong. After reading a couple of other books that described the bizarre Temple rituals Mormons go through, hoping to progress to some sort of "Godhood", I wondered, where on earth does this come from? Why would anyone go through this nonsense? The God Makers will explain it to you. Masonry is where it came from. Joseph Smith, the charlatan who came up with Mormonism, was a mason. He merely stole their ideas and practices and incorporated them into this false religion. Throw in some plagerized bible verses, mis-state other scripture, make up the rest, and there you have it. What I cannot fathom is how many millions of people have fallen for this lie.

This book pulls no punches. I'm sure Mormons will call it rubbish. These poor people. Taught to believe whatever they are told, they are plainly warned never to take the time to look into the mountains of evidence against its claims.

I am making it a priority in my life to pray for the deliverance of all Mormons from the false and misleading doctrine taught to them. For anyone who reads this book and is heartbroken over those caught in the web of Mormonism, I invite you to join me.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2014
Format: Paperback
This was one of many resources for my bachelors thesis, among many others. I was utterly shocked that right minded people can believe such utter garbage, The LDS church is a cult, full of hipocrits, brain washing, and doesn't align with holy writ at all.
It really opened my eyes, and I can not recommend it higher, especially for people deceived into such a complete LIE. It was perhaps fifteen or more years ago, in the news, that the "codes" (symbols) on the book of mormon were cracked, and turned out to be ancient Egyptian instructions for preserving the dead. Until the 20th century, mormons actually believed there were peoole (formerly earth dwellers) that were very tall, and dressed like Quakers, living on the moon! ..Modern astronomy proved that nonsense wrong.
Read it for yourself, you'll see the ultimate Lie taught and believed to this day by LDS members, unless utterly brainwashed as they truely are. The bottom line of their belief? In the garden of Eden," God lied", the serpent (satan)" told the truth" .
on March 19, 2010
Format: Paperback
The hatred of this book by the Mormons is well documented and known by those who are close to this subject. The video from this book was shown all over the US in many mainstream Christian churches giving them an inside look at the foundations of Mormonism. The Mormon church does not want you to know many of the things that have been exposed here and will do just about anything to mislead you. I recommend this book along with "Mormonism-Shadow or Reality" by Jerald and Sandra Tanner as a must read before joining the LDS church. The missionaries will not tell you all the facts, because they are ordered not too and because they don't know some of them. Don't allow yourself to be deceived or mislead, it is your right and duty to study and know what you are getting into. I was a member for 33yrs and besides the day my daughter was born, leaving the LDS church was the happiest day of my life. I couldn't have been set free without the knowledge contained in these books. There is a reason there is so much hatred for them, they speak the truth.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2012
Format: Paperback
The book of Mormon is not from God.Galatians 1,8-"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."
Joesph Smith got his revelation for another gospel from an angel,therefore he is to be accursed.Funny how Mormons say Joseph Smith is a prophet of God but the Bible say he is to be accursed.The claim it's the same gospel but why would God send an angel to Joseph Smith with the exact same gospel?Makes no sense for God to give Joseph Smith the exact same gospel hundreds of years later that He gave to Paul.We had the gospel already.We didn't need an exact copy.Why then didn't Joseph Smith preach the exact same gospel as Paul.The truth is it is not the same gospel.The book of Mormon is not the same gospel.As Mormon claim it is "another" testament of Jesus Christ.So they believe just because someone told them it is another testament of Jesus Christ it is.And Jim Jones and David Koresh also told their followers they received "another" testament form Jesus Christ.
on December 8, 2010
Format: Paperback
We ( myself, hubby and four children ) were members of the mormon faith for several years. We went all the way. The creepy temple ceremonies, funny underwear, tithing, etc.
We were told to NEVER read anti-mormon literature because it was "of the devil" and would only confuse us. We were better to spend our time reading only church related publications. One time in sunday school, the elder teaching the class told us that no matter how much something seemed to be true, if the prophet says it's not true...well, the end of the story. Don't even THINK about questioning it. This didn't sit well with me so I began a journey of educating myself. I DID read anti mormon material and found it only strengthened my "testimony" because they were filled with things taken out of context and down right lies. Then I came across The Godmakers. One thing I liked about this book was, whenever they made a claim, you could check the footnote for information on where the info came from so you could do extra research and verify it.

In a strange way, I feel like this book "saved" me. It started me on a long journey, seeking the truth. When you get away from the churches own books, filled with propaganda and down right LIES, it's so refreshing! The history books ( NOT church books) will tell you a very different story about who Joseph Smith and Brigham Young ( among others) really were, and it's downright scary!

I think the reviews that are knocking this book as untrue, are written by brainwashed members trying hard to do damage control.

Thank you for a wonderful book. I read it over 10 years ago, left the church ( the whole family did) and we've never been happier!

Go ahead, become a member of the LDS church. It's a quick way to atheism IF you really, REALLY look at it for what it is
on November 23, 2010
Format: Paperback
As a Christian long impressed with the outward graciousness of Mormons, especially missionaries, I found myself hosting weekly visits from them after moving to Utah for other reasons. The missionaries called their visits "discipling," and it consisted of "bible study" from both the Book of Mormon and the King James Bible.

Before we got started on the first day of "discipling," they had me show them my library of books. My library included my own copies of the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith's Corrected Bible, and several other LDS publications. I also had a King James Bible. I did not have "The God Makers," and they had me pledge that I 1) had never read it and 2) would not read it until after all of my LDS discipling had been completed. I gave them my pledge.

They started out with both the Book of Mormon and The King James Bible present; they also explained that the Book of Mormon contained passages from the King James. The missionaries explained that they had been trained about which passages to discuss with me. As the "discipling" progressed over a period of weeks, I increasingly was prompted to answer questions directly as to whether I found that selected passages they had just read to me from the Book of Mormon "are true." Thankfully, the Lord had blessed me previously with opportunities and a hunger to study his true Word, and so I already had considerable detailed knowledge of actual scripture in the King James Bible.

Here's a key disturbing fact I noticed in the "discipling" sessions which I've not seen discussed elsewhere: The passages they read from the Book of Mormon about which I was prompted to provide an answer as to whether I felt the passages were true or not, were actually passages transcribed from the King James Bible. They were read from the Book of Mormon, but they were among the passages common to both it and the King James Bible. I realized that if I answered "Yes, I hold that passage to be the true Word of God," I would be affirming my faith in the Book of Mormon. Conversely, if I said "No, I don't hold that passage to be true," I would be blaspheming the King James Bible. The pattern kept emerging, and I questioned the missionaries about this repeatedly. Again and again, I redirected them to the King James verses from which the passages originated, and they stated that they had neither known nor been taught that the prompt passages originally came from the King James Bible. Eventually, they became frustrated and quit coming. But on one last, final visit before giving up, they laid out for me the multi-step baptism contract for joining the Church. I didn't make it past the prompt to declare that LDS President Gordon Hinckly was "a true prophet" -- having greater spiritual authority about what God says than themselves, me, or anyone else. They gave up on me, but suggested in parting that if I didn't accept their baptism in life, they might still choose to baptise me after I died to bring me into the Church then, anyway.

To me, the key here is the sneaky way their delivery prompted me to verify the carefully-selected passages from the Book of Mormon as the "true Word of God": those passages tended to be the ones taken directly from the King James. They sounded like the true Word of God because they were the true Word of God, in the context of the original Bible. Saying "yes" means that you accept the Book of Mormon as the "true Word of God," saying "no" means that you discount the validity of the Bible itself, condemning yourself...

Again, the missionaries had no explaination for this paradox, once I pointed it out.

After they quit coming, I read "The God Makers". Living among Mormons and studying their publications deeply in search for the truth, I give "The God Makers" five stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2011
Format: Paperback
This book unmasked mormonism. Lets review some of the ideas presented in The god makers. First, while Christians believe that God is spirit,as we read in the bible and every sunday school teacher know, the mormon founder Joseph Smith taught, "God Himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!" The second mormon phalse prophet Brigham Young teached that our god is Adam. Mormonism also holds to a plurality of Gods and those gods are polygamists and contends that "as man is God once was; as God is man may become." Additionally, the Latter-day Saints compromise the nature of the God-man, Jesus Christ. In Christianity, Jesus is the self-existent creator of all things, Gods first creation and the co-creator of Earth. In Mormonism, he is the spirit brother of Lucifer who was conceived in heaven by a celestial Mother, one of the multiples Adam wives, and came in flesh as the result of the Father having sex with the Virgin Mary. This is heressy. Mormons do not believe that the Bible is the infallible repository for redemptive revelation. In their view, the Book of Mormon is "the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion." Two further revelations complete the Mormon quad, namely Doctrines and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price. Doctrines and Covenants is a compilation of divine revelations that includes the doctrine of polygamy. Not until threatened by the federal government did Mormon president Wilford Woodruff receive a revelation relegating polygamy to the afterlife. The Pearl of Great Price is no less troubling. It was this extra-biblical revelation that was used by Mormonism to prevent African Americans from entering the priesthood and from being exalted to godhood.