5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely MEMORY maker!
Published on September 5, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute but confusing
I love Sandra Boynton's books for their sing-song verse and adorable illustrations; but my 14-month-old loves only some of them. This one is a bit confusing for her, I believe. Just when her vocabulary is taking off, this book hits her with some animals that even I can't positively identify. The animals are on a boat, which doesn't make sense out of context. After...
Published on July 23, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely MEMORY maker!, September 5, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Tonight while surfing through amazon I stumbled upon Sandra Boynton. Remembering how fond my children were of her board books when they were toddlers, I read a few of the reviews. I laughed and cried thinking about how frequently "The Going To Bed Book" was read in our household and how IMPORTANT it became in our bedtime ritual. Out of curiosity I pulled the old book from our library shelves and went to my kids, now 15, 12 and 9 and began to recite a few lines. *NOTE - I didn't actually NEED the book in order to do this. To my delight each of them perked up, smiled and began to chant the lines right along with me. They remembered the characters, the words, the way we used to read the story. You see, for them the memories of this book are wonderful as well!
Sandra Boynton is gifted at coupling wonderful, readable verse with delightful illustration. Don't miss this book and don't hesitiate to purchase others from her collection. We have HUNDREDS of read aloud childrens books in this house. This ranks right up there with the absolute favorites and should be IMHO amongst the first books read to a cherished babe.
P.S. Don't miss "Doggies" either! If you read this one with FEELING they'll be begging for it time and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Calming Book for Bedtime, But Also Funny and Engaging!, November 17, 2000
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Sandra Boynton's colorful board book is a bedtime treat! An assortment of expressive animals gets ready for bed aboard a giant boat. Boynton amusingly shows then bathing, dressing, brushing teeth ("With some on top and some beneath, they brush and brush and brush their teeth."), and exercising together.
It closes with the animals settling down for the night: "They rock and rock and rock to sleep." Graced by Boynton's well-known illustrations and rhythmic, lullabye-like poetry, this is a great book for infants and toddlers alike. It's one of those books you'll keep long after the kid(s) grow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 6, 1999
Ms. Upnorth (Fairbanks, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
After reading all of the positive reviews here, I decided to order this book for my two year old son, who loves to read. I must admit, I probably would never have picked it out, but my son absolutely loves it! Everytime we finish reading it, he says, "Mommy, read again." I recommend it to anyone who has a little reader at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger kids, too, June 8, 2006
Ellis Godard (Moorpark, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
The other (positive) reviews are all spot on, except for the age ranges discussed. Like all of Boynton's books, this one's not just for toddlers, 2-6 year olds, etc. I've been reading (reciting, really, since I know it so well from our first child) this to our daughter since she was only 3 or 4 months old, and she knows and recognizes its cadence remarkably well even now at not quite 9 months. It's a great tool that I incorporate not only in reading as part of the bedtime routine, with the book in hand in a rocking chair, but also something I recite while dressing her - a great tool, that is, for shifting from the fun and frolic of the bath, to the placidity of the reading/rocking chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedtime with Boynton!, October 15, 2004
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
I only had one other Boynton book "Snuggle Puppy" which my daughter loves so I wanted to get her another Boynton book. "The Going to Bed" book is a hit!

This book is about several different animals in different shapes and sizes getting ready for bed on a boat. They brush their teeth, excersize and put on pajamas.

The illustrations are cute and her rythmic poetry is perfectly easy to read.

My daughter absolutely loves the pictures and she must like the sound of the words because she gets so excited by this book.

I personally like this book for reading at bedtime because of its length. Its short, sweet and to the point. And the very last page of the book "They rock and rock and rock to sleep" is perfect when read slowly to emphasize the end of the day.

Her books are precious and very inexpensive. This is not a book you will be donating or selling at a garage sale. Your baby/child will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boynton's Best Bedtime Bet!, April 19, 2005
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This book is one book we truly adore. My son seemed magnetized to this book. This was one of the first books I read to him at bedtime...whether nighttime or naptime. We love this better than Goodnight Moon. I actually can read the book to my son with my eyes close after a couple of readings. The rhyming text flows so smoothly, that makes reading so fun, easy and addicting. I never liked reading but this hooked me to doing so daily. I'd even whisper the repetitive texts to my son's ear, which he likes so much. He gives me a rewarding giggle for that. Phrases we like most are:

"The sun has set not long ago.

Now everybody goes below

To take a bath in one big tub

With soap all over, SCRUB-SCRUB-SCRUB!!!"

"They hang their towels on the wall

And find pajamas, big and small.

With some on top and some beneath,

They BRUSH and BRUSH and BRUSH their teeth."

"And when the moon is on the rise,

They all go up to exercise!

And down once more but not so fast,

They're on their way to bed at last."

"The day is done, They say goodnight,

And somebody turns off the light.

The moon is high. The sea is deep.

They ROCK and ROCK and ROCK to sleep."

One great buy, One great treasure to keep forever in our hearts. I highly recommend this Boynton Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a bedtime MUST!, August 23, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
My 17 month old daughter Diana absolutely adores this book, as does her 31 year old mother! It has a remarkably calming effect on her when she's all wound up at the end of the day, and fighting sleep as children her age are wont to do. The wonderful rhythm of the words is soothing, and easy for her to understand. She has begun "reading" along with me, and it's delightful to actually witness her learning. Thank you, Sandra Boynton, for putting your remarkable talent towards such a wonderful thing as children's books!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sun has Set not Long Ago, October 24, 2002
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Great bed time book. The rhymes are fun, and it is a fantastically silly story. My husband and daughter and I have all had this book memorized since she was 6 months old ( she is two and 1/2 now). We love to recite it to one another, and have had to have two copies of the book (ah that teething stage was hard, she chewed right through everything.) We all love Sandra Boynton, she is a reliable read and a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and fun!, June 10, 2006
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Sandra Boynton is one of my favorite children's book authors. She makes even the mundane bedtime rituals fun, and has cute characters as well as fun reading. I have all of her books and have read them to all 3 of my children. My children love pointing to the characters and reading along with me (I have read them so many times, they have the books memorized!). Easy reading for young children, and short enough for the wee little ones. I highly recommend this book, as well as Sandra Boynton's other books!

5.0 out of 5 stars As much fun for the adults as it is for the kids., December 10, 2000
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This was my daughter's favorite book when she turned one. Everyone in the household had it memorized. She is about to turn 12 and I can still hear it: "The sun has set not long ago..." You may think this sounds like a mixed blessing, but in fact I loved "The Going the Bed Book" as much as she did. I took great pleasure a few months ago in reading it out loud to a visiting baby girl, who also liked it. Most board books are deadly dull for adults (no matter how delightful they seem to the toddler!) but I always enjoyed Sandra Boynton's books. Now, years later, I still get a kick out of them.
I have long since gotten rid of all the baby books except the Boynton books and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." They are terrific. Other special favorites are "But Not the Hippopotamus" "Moo-Baa-La-La-La," "Barnyard Dance," and "Birthday Monsters."

The Going-To-Bed Book
The Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton (Board book - November 30, 1982)
$5.99 $3.26