Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Going-To-Bed Book
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on September 5, 2000
Tonight while surfing through amazon I stumbled upon Sandra Boynton. Remembering how fond my children were of her board books when they were toddlers, I read a few of the reviews. I laughed and cried thinking about how frequently "The Going To Bed Book" was read in our household and how IMPORTANT it became in our bedtime ritual. Out of curiosity I pulled the old book from our library shelves and went to my kids, now 15, 12 and 9 and began to recite a few lines. *NOTE - I didn't actually NEED the book in order to do this. To my delight each of them perked up, smiled and began to chant the lines right along with me. They remembered the characters, the words, the way we used to read the story. You see, for them the memories of this book are wonderful as well!
Sandra Boynton is gifted at coupling wonderful, readable verse with delightful illustration. Don't miss this book and don't hesitiate to purchase others from her collection. We have HUNDREDS of read aloud childrens books in this house. This ranks right up there with the absolute favorites and should be IMHO amongst the first books read to a cherished babe.
P.S. Don't miss "Doggies" either! If you read this one with FEELING they'll be begging for it time and again!
99 comments| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sandra Boynton's colorful board book is a bedtime treat! An assortment of expressive animals gets ready for bed aboard a giant boat. Boynton amusingly shows then bathing, dressing, brushing teeth ("With some on top and some beneath, they brush and brush and brush their teeth."), and exercising together.
It closes with the animals settling down for the night: "They rock and rock and rock to sleep." Graced by Boynton's well-known illustrations and rhythmic, lullabye-like poetry, this is a great book for infants and toddlers alike. It's one of those books you'll keep long after the kid(s) grow up.
44 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2005
This book is one book we truly adore. My son seemed magnetized to this book. This was one of the first books I read to him at bedtime...whether nighttime or naptime. We love this better than Goodnight Moon. I actually can read the book to my son with my eyes close after a couple of readings. The rhyming text flows so smoothly, that makes reading so fun, easy and addicting. I never liked reading but this hooked me to doing so daily. I'd even whisper the repetitive texts to my son's ear, which he likes so much. He gives me a rewarding giggle for that. Phrases we like most are:

"The sun has set not long ago.

Now everybody goes below

To take a bath in one big tub

With soap all over, SCRUB-SCRUB-SCRUB!!!"

"They hang their towels on the wall

And find pajamas, big and small.

With some on top and some beneath,

They BRUSH and BRUSH and BRUSH their teeth."

"And when the moon is on the rise,

They all go up to exercise!

And down once more but not so fast,

They're on their way to bed at last."

"The day is done, They say goodnight,

And somebody turns off the light.

The moon is high. The sea is deep.

They ROCK and ROCK and ROCK to sleep."

One great buy, One great treasure to keep forever in our hearts. I highly recommend this Boynton Book.
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 1999
After reading all of the positive reviews here, I decided to order this book for my two year old son, who loves to read. I must admit, I probably would never have picked it out, but my son absolutely loves it! Everytime we finish reading it, he says, "Mommy, read again." I recommend it to anyone who has a little reader at home.
0Comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2006
The other (positive) reviews are all spot on, except for the age ranges discussed. Like all of Boynton's books, this one's not just for toddlers, 2-6 year olds, etc. I've been reading (reciting, really, since I know it so well from our first child) this to our daughter since she was only 3 or 4 months old, and she knows and recognizes its cadence remarkably well even now at not quite 9 months. It's a great tool that I incorporate not only in reading as part of the bedtime routine, with the book in hand in a rocking chair, but also something I recite while dressing her - a great tool, that is, for shifting from the fun and frolic of the bath, to the placidity of the reading/rocking chair.
on October 15, 2004
I only had one other Boynton book "Snuggle Puppy" which my daughter loves so I wanted to get her another Boynton book. "The Going to Bed" book is a hit!

This book is about several different animals in different shapes and sizes getting ready for bed on a boat. They brush their teeth, excersize and put on pajamas.

The illustrations are cute and her rythmic poetry is perfectly easy to read.

My daughter absolutely loves the pictures and she must like the sound of the words because she gets so excited by this book.

I personally like this book for reading at bedtime because of its length. Its short, sweet and to the point. And the very last page of the book "They rock and rock and rock to sleep" is perfect when read slowly to emphasize the end of the day.

Her books are precious and very inexpensive. This is not a book you will be donating or selling at a garage sale. Your baby/child will love it!
on August 23, 1998
My 17 month old daughter Diana absolutely adores this book, as does her 31 year old mother! It has a remarkably calming effect on her when she's all wound up at the end of the day, and fighting sleep as children her age are wont to do. The wonderful rhythm of the words is soothing, and easy for her to understand. She has begun "reading" along with me, and it's delightful to actually witness her learning. Thank you, Sandra Boynton, for putting your remarkable talent towards such a wonderful thing as children's books!!!
on February 14, 2016
I hate that the animals get ready for bed-- brush their teeth, shower, put on pajamas... and then after all of that, they EXERCISE?!? Who in their right mind would work out after showering?? And in clean pjs?? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky but the first time I read that, I was so annoyed, I couldn't even finish the book; I had to run upstairs and tell my husband the absurdity that I had just read lol. Other than that the book is fine. The pictures are simple, cute and funny.
review image
on November 5, 2015
Cute book for the younger kids, my 11 month old is beginning to enjoy it. It reads fast and has some funny pictures. Great for bedtime.
review image review image
on December 10, 2000
This was my daughter's favorite book when she turned one. Everyone in the household had it memorized. She is about to turn 12 and I can still hear it: "The sun has set not long ago..." You may think this sounds like a mixed blessing, but in fact I loved "The Going the Bed Book" as much as she did. I took great pleasure a few months ago in reading it out loud to a visiting baby girl, who also liked it. Most board books are deadly dull for adults (no matter how delightful they seem to the toddler!) but I always enjoyed Sandra Boynton's books. Now, years later, I still get a kick out of them.
I have long since gotten rid of all the baby books except the Boynton books and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." They are terrific. Other special favorites are "But Not the Hippopotamus" "Moo-Baa-La-La-La," "Barnyard Dance," and "Birthday Monsters."