5.0 out of 5 stars Both fascinating and thought provoking
Published 6 months ago by Charles C. Harner

Discussion of themes okay, but character descriptions and synopsis not enlightening. Questions just okay, but a book group leader could come up with better ones. AND there was a least one grammar error and many punctuation errors. The editor needs to look up rules for semi-colons which he misuses throughout. Not worth buying.
Published 3 months ago by Carolyn S. Hollman

5.0 out of 5 stars Both fascinating and thought provoking, June 14, 2014
This was the most gripping novel I've read in recent years, but also the kind of book that makes you think about it long after you have finished it. Our book club is devoting a second meeting to just the last chapter. If you want to read it, make sure you will have time, because once you start you won't put it down. It is full of characters who are are flawed, but strangely sympathetic nonetheless, and they are woven together in an ingeniously constructed story. If Donna Tartt is only going to put out a book every decade, I for one am willing to wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent companion for the Goldfinch, June 16, 2014
ZoeChloeB (Westchester, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Since I was leading my book club discussion on The Goldfinch, I was thrilled (and grateful) to come across this. It helped me beyond words, both in facilitating a meaningful discussion and for getting a great deal more out of the book myself. Highly, highly recommend. If you are investing all that time in reading The Goldfinch, this will make it all the more worthwhile. Frankly, I wish more books had such a meaningful option to accompany them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Guide to "The Goldfinch", July 24, 2014
The content of this guide was excellent. The plot summary was very thorough. The only thing that kept me from giving it five stars is that there were a fair amount of typos; the book was not properly edited. I was using the Kindle version of the guide, so that may have been part of the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful post-read guide, July 5, 2014
I don't belong to a Book Club, but I was quite enamored of The Goldfinch and wanted to expand my enjoyment with a more in-depth view. This Guide was exactly what I wanted. A brief, though-provoking review of the themes, characters, and allusions, which helped to enrich my understanding of a marvelous book.

The Guide crystallized several aspects of the story that I had recognized on my own, and pointed out a few things I'd missed. While I still wonder about the repeated Christmas scenes, the Guide did provide an interesting review of the other major themes (orphans, addiction, parenting, head vs. heart). I was also surprised to learn a bit about the author -- particularly, when in the course of writing the book did she first discover the painting. It was certainly not in the order I'd imagined!

This Guide also included a fairly extensive synopsis of the book, as well as a pop quiz seemingly designed for teachers to determine if your student had actually read the 800pp book. Of course, if the student had merely read the extensive synopsis that would probably be sufficient to pass the test :-)

Overall, I definitely recommend this Guide.

1.0 out of 5 stars but a book group leader could come up with better ones. AND there was a least one grammar ..., September 2, 2014
Carolyn S. Hollman (Manchester, NH USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Companion Book, June 20, 2014
The Goldfinch is such a "big" book, in all sense of the word that this guide book is a perfect companion book. It doesn't matter if your not even in a book club. You can use it to keep track of characters, scenes and settings.

I personally do belong to a book club that is reading this book later in the year and I plan to use this smaller version as reference to refresh prior to the meeting. The Goldfinch was one of those "knock your socks off" books but it is almost 800 pages long. Over time I find some of the lesser characters and their place in the story line becomes fuzzy.

What a great contribution Kathryn Cope made for those of us who are getting up in years and need reminders now and then. Thank you, Kathryn.

3.0 out of 5 stars Skimpy synopsis, June 8, 2014
Jim Ragland (Farmington, MO, US) - See all my reviews
The synopsis was very skimpy but did pique my interest so I'm about 200 pages into the book--only 600 more to go

4.0 out of 5 stars The Guide really helped tie everything together for me - I didn't really enjoy the characters though, October 2, 2014
This is such a LONG LONG book with so many stories and characters you have to hold on to, that it was difficult for me to get through it. The Guide really helped tie everything together for me -

I didn't really enjoy the characters though, all terribly flawed, so that's why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. I didn't like any of them; they weren't resilient and strong. They were weak, they knew it, and they just stayed that way. You couldn't ever count on them to do the right thing. I just got so tired of it. Page after page after page of a downward spiral.

4.0 out of 5 stars Want to Delve a Little Deeper Into "The Goldfinch"? Read This, August 4, 2014
This is a mini-thesis on "The Goldfinch," packed with very readable/understandable information on themes, symbols and character motivation. It's not only great for book clubs, but also for anyone who might want to delve a little deeper into "The Goldfinch." Find out about the literary influences on the book, bird imagery used throughout, location and mood and the role weather played, as well as a full (and detailed) plot summary and questions for book clubs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 29, 2014
Helped guide me through a very wordy, confusing book.

The Goldfinch: A Guide for Book Clubs (The Reading Room Book Group Guides)
$5.99