Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 8, 2012
I enjoyed this book. For some reason, I knew from the beginning who the Spiderman rapist would be, but it didn't dilute the fun of reading the book, because it took some twists. I liked that it was set in the early 80's when surveillance cameras and cell phones were non-existent. Those times required a lot more true detective work.

I did get a bit bogged down in who was who, sometimes. There were a lot of side characters - attorneys, criminals, family, friends...past and present - all with names. "Now who is Ventura? Who is Ryan? Who is Tedeschi? Who is Charley? Who is Joey? Who is Farkas? Who is..."

One last point - the author needs a better editor. There were some spelling errors.
66 comments|162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2012
This book almost ended up in the garbage after reading the first 25 pages. I'm not an English teacher by far, and in college I got A's in most classes EXCEPT English. But I was extremely annoyed many times while reading this book. Spelling mistakes, missing or incorrect use of commas, and story line errors. It's like no one proofread this book before publishing it. Examples of the mistakes: Shiela on one page, Sheila the rest of the book; barley instead of barely; inn instead of in; curcumstances instead of circumstances; not using commas and quotation marks around "the judge said" in a dialogue sentence; confusing descriptions of the three little boys; and mentioning Nick's previous visit to see Dr. Terkel when there was no such previous visit in the book. I am surprised that no other reviews mentioned the large number of mistakes in this otherwise good book. If you're the type of person who is annoyed by such things, consider yourself warned. When you spend good money on a book (not a free Kindle version), you have expectations that it will be free of distractions such as these errors.

That being said, it was a very good book. It held my attention, which is saying something considering how many times I was frustrated by blatant mistakes. The story line keeps moving and has some nice twists. Good character development and it builds suspense nicely. I hope to see more from this author and maybe he will be able to get a book deal with a publisher that has professional editors.
66 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2014
I'm sorry, usually I like books like this, but this book was a waste. I love this genre, but this book was slow and often unimaginative. Rather than using words to paint a really good picture to bring you into the emotion of the story, the author simply unemotionally tells the details of an event, and throws in the F word about 50-100 times for no discernible reason (if you can't write, curse?). There are better reads for sure.

The grammar was horrible, spelling mistakes, and just amateur at best. #1 legal thriller of 2012? I don't think so! Don't trust the number of five star reviews, read the one and two stars for the accurate picture. I'm guessing the author or his family put this book as a free download on Kindle so they could game the system in all these false five stars.
1111 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
i admit never hearing of this author but came across this book while searching on amazon. i do this from time when i either have read all of the mainstream authors or simply get bored of them. The outcome is not always favorable but every now and then you strike gold. As with this book. The title of the book is what made me look further since i did not know what a good lawyer was, especially a defense lawyer! Turns out I found myself rooting and cheering for him as the book progressed. This is a terrific story written with a fresh and unforced prospective. Thomas Benigno may not be very well known...but he will be. Read this book.
99 comments|296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2013
The number of five star reviews is baffling---Mr.Benigno can't have that many relatives.
I won't go into the plot (others have rightly described it as cliched) but with the quality of writing. The author would benefit greatly from joining a writers' workshop, hopefully as soon as possible. His prose is so purple it positively glows, his sentence structure is awkward, grammar shaky and spelling atrocious. He claims to be an attorney but it's hard to believe someone who has gone through the rigors of law school wound up with such a poor grasp of the English language.
Just read this horrible example: "Ocean blue eyes searing though her straight blond hair alternated between my own glances and the fumbling files in my hands." WTF??? This is not even a sentence. Are her eyes in the back of her head, peeking through her hair? And what are "fumbling files" for god's sake? Doesn't he ever do a rewrite or self-edit? And this: "...led us through a joulessey screened porch..." Could he by chance mean JALOUSIE? Doesn't the man have spell-check? Scarier still, is this a supposedly educated man who doesn't know what a jalousie is?
I suppose some people get off on this style of turgid writing, however if your IQ can be written in more than two digits, avoid this like the plague.
1414 comments|180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2012
I loved this true-to-life tale which I couldn't put down over the rainy weekend. Whether you are a "Good Lawyer", or know one, or wish you had access to one, Benigno's fast read is for anyone who's ever pursued a passion through its ups and downs, and twists and turns.
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2014
Lots of errors that should have been easily caught and corrected by a good editor. Also, transitions from one story line to another were a little rough in spots.
on June 24, 2015
Others have commented on the evident lack of editing in this book, citing spelling errors and missing pieces of information. I will go further. The author refers to a shouting match between a judge and a lawyer as "banter". There is a reference to punches "reigning" down. During a fight one character is holding on to a doorframe with both hands, but also punching the other person. At the end the cap falls off the head of the criminal in a fight which clarifies who it is; but when the police arrive they have to remove the cap to find out he is bald.
The only character who rang true to me was Uncle Rocco. The others were either underdeveloped or simply unbelievable as portrayed in the book. The story line was sometimes confusing (see above).
Very disappointing.
on September 5, 2012
I am sometimes disappointed when downloading a free book to my Kindle. Other times I find a new author whose future books will become part of my reading life. This book has introduced me to an author I will continue to follow. Mr. Benigno sounds like a very interesting person whose interests span not just a life of laws but also literature and theater and this diversity shows in the writing of this book. If you are looking for a very straight forward thriller you may not like this book. Then again, if you want a book with more layers and insight on the human condition you will be happy to read it.
on April 22, 2012
Facing the inner struggle of winning-above-all versus social conscience, a brash hot-shot defense attorney is touched in a most personal way in this hold-your-breath, spell-binding story from the streets of New York to the courtroom so masterfully crafted by author/lawyer Tom Benigno.