5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
I'd recommend this book to pretty much everybody, Christian or Non-Christian, that I know. This book will serve as a wake-up call for most. Even in many "solid churches" most people think of the good life as a synoynm for the American Dream or to be all you can be. Trip does an excellent job of debunking that myth by clarifying the Biblical model for his readers...
Published 22 months ago by @djwadeo

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have a promising future
For the first book he has published it was not bad. While already aclaimed as a musical artist, looking forward to his developement as a writter.
Published 11 months ago by DS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 2, 2012
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)

For fans of Trip Lee the rapper, this may be the beginning of the end for you. Trip has the chance to become a better author than he is a rapper. His passion for making that transition is evident throughout this work and I anticipate the Lord using The Good Life to open new doors for him. Its rare that a 24 year-old can write something this truthful and culturally relevant. Shout out to Moody Publishers for responding to the need to bring biblical truth from an urban perspective to the marketplace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handsome read, October 16, 2012
This review is from: The Good Life (Kindle Edition)
You will find yourself unable to stop reading. The first day I started reading, I was planning to simply read a couple of pages and stop. But when I actually did it, I couldn't stop. Very insightful and worth the money. Prepare to think differently again

5.0 out of 5 stars 'The Good Life' Redefined, October 14, 2012
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
As an avid listener of Trip's music, I was excited for this book to release (the three free songs witht he purchase of the book are awesome too!).

Trip sets the tone well at the beginning by letting the reader know, Christian or non-Christian, who he is and what his purpose for writing the book is. Then he sets out to show what we in America have typically defined as the good life. He then goes on to explain what the good life really is through vivid examples and thorough use of Scripture to back up what he says.

I recommend this book to ANYONE. It really is a good overview of why we live, and how we should live in light of God's purposes for us on this earth. Get the book for yourself, and get another copy or two to give to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisely written, November 14, 2013
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
The author of this book, Trip Lee, is an accomplished Christian hip-hop artist. As the biography blurb on the inside back cover states, his "unending desire is to proclaim the grace and beauty of Jesus Christ to anyone who will listen". This is clear in his lyrics, his speeches, and his writing.

The Good Life is a look at what a satisfactory life is. Mr. Lee uses this short book (169 pages in all) to identify the differences between the cultural version of the good life and the biblical version of the good life. He highlights the deceptions in the cultural version of the good life, including how humanity typically interprets free will as our right to declare independence from God. He proudly proclaims what is true, "While we do have the freedom to choose who we will follow, there is only One who we were made to follow. No matter where we live, how old we are, or how wealthy we are, there is only one Lord of all" (pg. 35).

I love his personal touches to the book. For instance, I love what he has to say about heaven on page 153, "Heaven is a popular idea in our culture. People talk about heaven as a place where we will all go when we die. It's a dreamy destination where we strap on angel wings, reunite with our families, and hang out forever...I think the reason our culture longs for heaven is because we all know this world is messed up. There's something inside of us that recognizes this isn't how it's supposed to be." He wisely and accurately uses it all to point to God, and how the good life is only found through life in Jesus Christ.

The book is written in plain language, as if Mr. Lee were sitting in the room with you, talking to you across the dinner table. Mr. Lee is distinctly passionate and knowledgeable. The theology is sound, albeit simple. For being his first book, he has done an admirable job with the writing. The literary flow is interrupted sometimes as the transitions between sections are minimal, but other than that I followed his discourse effortlessly. By all means, this book can be used effectively as a tool to communicate to the unbeliever truly what the good life is.

I received this book for free from Moody Publishers for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising".

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid book to build on, July 31, 2013
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Trip Lee's music for several years now. When I heard he was writing a book I immediately became intrigued. His book shares the title of his latest (possibly last) album The Good Life, both are well worth your time. I was not sure what to expect when I received this work, should I expect a hip-hop artist to have some deep theological pondering or shallow thoughts of a merely religious nature.
This book exposes all of the different areas of life that we often try to rely upon instead of Jesus. In the process of cutting away all the things we use to hold ourselves up, he digs away the foundation of our "good life" but he does not leave us without something to rest upon. He always points us to Jesus, breaking apart the societal norms we have been spoon fed for the last half century. While this book is very strong in its Christology, it is not one a seasoned Christian would re-read if they already has the foundation that has been laid in this work. Personally I am not your "average" Christian; I am a seminary student that already has a degree in religion.
I would happily recommend this work to any new believer, or especially to someone who has been living under the teaching of false teachers or prosperity preachers. This work is not extremely large, and if you read quickly it could be consumed in a few hours. But if you do not have the foundation of a solid knowledge of who Christ is then I would recommend taking your time to digest what Trip is explaining and implementing this new found understanding in your walk with Jesus.
I was given a copy of this book for my fair unbiased review, I was under no obligation to write a positive review. Pick up two copies one for you and one for friend and learn how to gain the Good Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start of a new career, April 5, 2013
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
Trip Lee has opened a new door in leading men and women to a better and satisfying life. I have not finish the book yet, but I am impressed with what he has shared already.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Good Life" by Trip Lee, January 2, 2013
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
Trip Lee is one of my favorite rappers. His most recent album, "The Good Life" is great in terms of music, lyrics, themes, and features. The artists featured on the disc are top notch and the theme of living what Trip Lee calls "the good life" is very much needed today. The good life to Trip Lee can be summed up in the line, "The good life is the life that's been laid down."

Since the release of his top selling album, the early twenties rapper has since released a book with the same title tackling some of the same issues. The book is simple, but the message is profound and beautifully shows why the gospel is, well, so beautiful. Trip Lee's basic argument in both the album and the book is that we are all chasing after the good life, but we are looking for it in the wrong places. Scripture refers to these objects and people as idols: money, pleasure, power, influence, a family, a spouse, upper mobility, pride, a resume, early retirement, etc. Trip argues that these things, all temporary of course, will not give us the good life. Only the gospel of Jesus Christ can. He writes:

As you know, hip-hop is always good for a heavy dose of hedonism. The images slowly seduce us and draw us in. I know this is the picture I was chasing after: Coke bottle figures and seven-figure checks. But what happens when you get there? Even the most beautiful women are imperfect an let us down from time to time. and surly, shiny machines rolling on wheels can't be what we were made to live for. They break down, they get dented in accidents, and they eventually go to the same junkyard as Hyundais. Surely we can do better. This is not a good life. (39-40)

That is the message of the book and he doesn't veer from it. The writing is very simple and it is clear that Trip Lee is not a professional writer or an academic. He is a young Christian armed with the gospel and an audience that will listen to him. He comes from a unique perspective, especially in the world of books, of being a rapper who understands the culture, the language, and the universal desire to seek the good life in our selves and our own abilities.

But the simplicity of the book is not necessarily a weakness. However, if you are looking for a more thorough and deep discussion on idolatry, etc. perhaps this isn't the right book for you. But that is not its primary goal. Trip shows that simplicity can be, at times, more powerful than depth and sophistication. His chapter on the church is particularly helpful. There is nothing profound or necessarily new here, but Trips matter-of-fact way of showing how the church contributes to the good life is powerful. He writes:

"Imagine for a second a young boy, living as an orphan, who was adopted by a loving family. They bring him home, fee him, and give him his own room. He loves his new parents, and he's learning how to spell his new last name! But when his new parents introduce him to his new brothers and sisters, he wants nothing to do with them. He's glad to be a part of the family, yet he rejects his brothers and sisters?

All believers have been adopted by God and are now His children. But we often forget that we were adopted into a family of adopted children. We can't take on our Father's name and ignore the rest of the family." (79)

There is a solid treatment of the Christian doctrine of adoption applied directly to the doctrine of the church in an easy-to-read and easy-to-understand way. In the same chapter, he briefly deals with the popular assertion that one can be spiritual but not religious. To that, he briefly notes "They figure they can love God without loving His people" (81). Exactly! He later adds that talk that Christianity is communal is scarey because all that "spiritual, but not religious" talk is really just an excuse to hide. Again, exactly!

Beyond this chapter on the church, Trip deals with a variety of issues in this sort of manner. He notes the emptiness (vanity is the word Solomon would use) of materialism. Have you not noticed, he asks, that the riches people in the world spend their time trying to get richer? It all seems so vain. So empty.

Overall, for the right person, this is an excellent read. I would not recommend this to a seminary professor or one of his students. But for the pastor who ministers to new believers, those on the fence, and young students, Trips influence as a popular rapper and artist and his ability to write in such a simple, yet direct manner takes this gospel message far.

This book was donated to me for the purpose of this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Read, July 31, 2014
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
In a concise and insightful method, Trip Lee discusses the true Good Life. He speaks of the mindset of many people on how we think the Good Life is a life of fame, money, success, etc. This mindset, however, is not the true good life. Instead, the Good Life is a life with faith in a good God. With personal stories, theology, culture, and the Gospel, Trip Lee encourages his readers to pursue God beyond the boundaries of our cultural norms. Well written and engaging, I highly recommend this book to all people and encourage you to consider the claims made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, July 8, 2014
Its a great book i would recommend to any Trip fans or even 116 fans, he has great comparisons and it's easy to understand

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book, read it and give to a young person!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: The Good Life (Paperback)
A book written by the younger generation for the younger generation! Now, don’t take that to imply written by an immature young man. On the contrary, Lee, is a scripture-saturated man who simply renews his mind through the Word of God. Therefore, what he writes, comes from the overflow of his heart, which is filled with the Spirit and truth.

To put it simply, GET THIS BOOK and put it in the hands of young people! Lee’s heart is for the wayward youngsters who long for the world and are chasing after it quite hard. This book is a peak into the mind of Lee and where he was and who he was to where he is now and whose he is now.

Lee is a recording artist who many listen to, but he is also an author and speaker who is worth reading and hearing from. Give this book a read and you might find it quite hard to put down, due to it’s nature of building to each chapter. Keep in mind: good things come from God, but are not intended to become our god(s). When they do, chaos occurs in our lives because order has been dismantled and our hearts become thirsty…and when they do, we rarely remember where to find water.

This book is gospel-saturated and designed to encourage and equip to leave behind the trinkets and find treasure in Christ, alone.

I was provided this book from [...] for the purpose of review. The above thoughts are my own.

The Good Life