Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 17, 2012
Chad is learning the hard way that sometimes it just doesn't pay to be nice. Never, in a million years, did he think his little deposit into a paper cup would get dropped off his door step. But, his three-month old daughter, Annalee is living breathing proof that Fate has a twisted sense of humor.

The Good Life starts out with poor Chard knee-deep in a panic attack. When he agreed to donate sperm to his friend, Elizabeth, he just assumed she would always be around to take care of her kid. Hell, they weren't even that close. If his name hadn't been on Annalee's birth certificate, it could have been months before Chad even found out Elizabeth was dead. Fortunately, just like he has always done, Sonny comes up with the perfect solution for Chad's new little family. They can use his spare rooms and he can help out as much as he can. Who knew that having his crush under foot could be pure hell?

I am such a sucker for friends to lover romance and insta dad stories really do it for me. When they are combined, you really have to screw up for me not to enjoy it. Fortunately for me, Diana DeRicci is one of the biggest romantics people who I know and The Good Life was a joy to read. She spun a tale that had me smiling and awwwing from beginning to end. Chad goes through so much just trying to adjust to parenthood. Then to have his straight best friend profess love was just too much.

Was the storyline kinda predictable? Maybe a little. Was the dialogue sappy? Sometimes. Did I absolutely love it? Hell, yeah. This is the kind of sweet romance that is perfect for Father's Day. I knew there was a HEA coming, but DeRicci made me work for it. I mean, Sonny loves Chad, and Chad loves Sonny, but does Chad really love Sonny, or is he just a convenience. There was just enough twist to make a potentially tired plot sparkle.

I recommend this one for readers who like HEAs, but want to believe neither party is just settling for the nearest warm body.
on July 6, 2012
Chad, a gay man, contributes the sperm to allow his friend to get pregnant. Friend is killed in an accident, and Chad suddenly inherits custody of his 3 month old daughter. With the help of his bi-sexual friend, Sonny, Chad is able to get his life together, but is not aware that Sonny, who he thinks is straight, is secretly in love with him.

I have mixed feelings about this one. In the the first part of the book, Chad comes across as being more than totally inept. While I'm the first person to love a good fantasy romance, longtime friend Sonny basically offering not only a home to Chad and his new daughter, but pretty much rescuing the whole situation and taking control was perhaps a bit over the top. The story is very simple and predictable, but the characters got better as it moved along. In the current surfeit of "Oh, look, I'm gay and have a baby" books that are currently hitting the market, I'd place it in the middle, hence the 3 stars. Not a bad read once you get past Chad being a total idiot in the first chapter or two.
on September 18, 2014
Awwwww.... how cute is this book! The first chapter threw me a bit, because of the immediate trauma that was going on, but as the story progressed, it became better and better and better. The growing love story was exactly what was needed. And the baby was perfect, even if she was too young to speak. I really wanted to have a bit more at the end. There should really be a short wrap up at maybe 6 month or a year later. Other than that, it was fantastic.
on January 4, 2014
sonny has secretly been in love with his best friend Chad for a long time. when Chad finds out he is a father, sonny offers him support and a place to live. for Chad, this is great. for sonny, it's torture living with the man he loves but cannot have. then one night it all changes. Chad breaks up a fight and escorts a friend to the er. the thought that it could have been Chad forces sonny to realize he needs to act on his feeling before it's too late. once sonny makes his feelings known, and Chad reciprocates, things turn into happily ever after!

I liked this story of friends becoming lovers. they know and compliment each other. throw an adorable baby in the mix and you have a charming new family. this was a cute romantic story.
on October 24, 2013
Again, as with many books Ms.DeRicci writes, i wanted it to keep going on and on. This story especially. The characters were wonderful and I was crazy about Sonny!! He was so amazing and endearing and sweet....it was wonderful to watch his character develop and wow..his coming out was so very steamy and just <sigh> wonderful. I loved the reaction that Chad had to his friend coming out and the sweet relationship that they developed after the sudden realization that they were perfect for each other. Wonderfully done, I just keep wanting longer stories.
on July 10, 2012
Chad did a favor for his friend Elizabeth. Elizabeth had no family or husband and desperately wanted a baby. She turned to Chad for help. Chad agreed to donate his sperm under the condition that he would take no part in raising the child. It was the perfect arrangement until Elizabeth died in a car crash. As baby Annalee's only living relative, Chad suddenly becomes the father of a baby he has never even met.

Once Chad gets Annalee home, he is completely overwhelmed and has no idea how to take care of a baby. His first instinct is to call his best friend Sonny. Sonny, with his calm and collected personality, helps Chad by walking him through the basic needs of an infant one step at a time. After that first frantic phone call, Sonny heads over to Chad's to help out and realizes the living situation is never going to work. Chad lives in a small one bedroom apartment. Sonny has the brilliant idea of asking Chad and Annalee to move into his home. There is plenty of room and they'll both be able to take care of the baby. It's genius, right? Umm.. no, Sonny has been in love with Chad for years and Chad has no idea. Now Sunny is faced with the torture of having everything he has ever dreamed of right in front of him. The only question left is whether he's willing to risk everything by letting Chad know how he really feels.

I normally avoid books like this but the cute cover won me over. Super sweet and heartwarming stories generally leave me feeling a little nauseous, snarky and sarcastic is more my comfort zone. You can imagine my surprise when I started reading and actually liked this book! It is sweet but didn't go into the sickening sweet territory. The romance between Sonny and Chad was good but very predictable. The supporting characters were what saved the book for me. Chad's friends were great and their problems added the realism I need to enjoy a book. I loved the characters and I liked the romance. The Good Life is a nice, feel good book that even I could enjoy.
on January 25, 2016
Low tension, low angst story line makes this a sweet romance of the friends to lovers meme. Decent character development and some interesting supporting characters.
on August 5, 2012
No complaints; this book was a great read. All the characters were very interesting and engaging. I hope we get a book focusing on the secondary characters.