5.0 out of 5 stars I Cried - It's /That/ Good, February 22, 2012
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Paperback)
Never, that I can remember, have I ever cried over a book.

I did with The Goodbye Man.

Jack is a retired law enforcement officer who is widowed and wealthy. His only trusted constant companion since his wife's death is Sadie, his gorgeous, protective, precious, intelligent German shepherd. Because of his wealth, Jack has a Citation airplane at his disposal to come and go as he wishes.

Using his resources (plane, people, money), Jack begins to hunt down the released criminals that have gone back into hiding under assumed identities. Not just any released criminals, though ... Jack hunts down the criminals who were imprisoned for crimes against children.

During his hunts, complications arise: a woman enters Jack's life allowing him to love again and the NYPD and FBI become aware of who Jack is, but not his name. He begins to become easily recognizable thanks to Sadie. Jack knew, from the beginning though, that it would only be a matter of time before he was caught. When that happened, he already had a plan all worked out.

This book mixes elements of romance, murder, suspense, vigilantism and sadness. As a person, you become proud and encouraging of Jack ... even knowing that what he's doing is against the law and a sin. Who wouldn't want to hunt down and kill child rapists and murderers?

Some of the descriptions of the children, how they died and the grief of their families is what made me cry ... well, that and the death of Sadie. I have a softness in my heart for dogs as the dog I had to bury was part German shepherd. There is nothing quite like the loyalty and love of a dog and to read about Sadie's death overwhelmed me. I know that may be a little sappy, but it's who I am ...

I highly recommend this book to all of the mystery/suspense/dog lovers out there. To say it is a great book is not good enough of a description.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can identify, December 31, 2011
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Paperback)
Having been in law enforcement I can identify with the author's character in reference to how he feels about the judicial system allowing criminals to walk out of prison without so much as a slap on the wrist. Mr Barton has written a very good and accurate portrayal of the frustration law enforcement people feel in the wake of our sometimes lacking judicial system. I applaud him for his candid approach to a solution that his hero has chosen to deal this frustration. I look forward to his next endeavor.

4.0 out of 5 stars 8 out of 10 hearts!, July 23, 2012
The Goodbye Man by Chad Barton
Release Date: July 6th, 2011
Publisher: AuthorHouse (self-published)
Page Count: 427
Source: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bohlsen PR in exchange for an honest review

"As more people filled the packed church, Jack was forced to move down the wall toward the front, until he was very near the altar. From that vantage point, he could see the young mother's face.

He found himself staring at her, unable to look away. He didn't know why. Perhaps it was the terrible sadness in her face. He watched her intently as she clutched a little brown teddy bear and a picture of her daughter, who now lay only feet away in a small casket. The size of it made him wince. Jack felt the anger rise within him."

At sixty years old, Jack Steele has long since retired from putting criminals -- especially those that hurt children -- in prison. Following his retirement from law enforcement, he built a successful multimillion-dollar company, allowing him financial freedom in his golden years. Following the unexpected loss of his wife, Sarah, however, he withdraws into himself. He becomes a loner whose only companion is his German shepherd, Sadie.

Sick of a court system that lets monsters out of prison to torture and kill again and again, he decides there is only one way to stop them. Using his own resources, his credentials as a retired police officer, and his .380 Walther, he and his dog begin to hunt -- bringing justice to those whom the system cannot control.

AFTER ALL ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

What Stephanie Thinks: Child serial killers, their gruesome felonies, their absurd prison releases, and Jack Steele's determination to put and end to them once and for all, constitute the intense and astonishing The Goodbye Man. Details of the grotesque crimes will shock readers, and the repercussions will tear at hearts. This is an action-packed, gripping murder novel that you don't want to miss.

I like Barton's edgy, yet still soulful style of writing. He cuts the crap -- nothing ever drags on, making the story moves along marvelously -- but he also takes the opportunity to offer insights in Jack Steele's experiences, many of them surprisingly tender, sort of as a balm to soothe the blow of the atrocities described. The concept of the Goodbye Man is also original and realistic in an ideal way, in that carnage that Jack harbors certainly could happen, but probably never would.

The definition of and flaw with criminal rights in America is a large theme throughout the book, one that interests me highly. Barton presents it in a way, through Jack's near-justifiable mass slaughters, that makes the nation's legal system seem incredibly corrupt, but not completely hopeless.

More than a narrative on the highly-profiled crimes and the unfair law system of the US, this novel sheds light upon a bigger, brighter message in the matter of what it means to be human. Barton does this by displaying Jack's personal relationships, those that involve his loyal and lovable dog, Sadie (funny, but she is absolutely my favorite character!!! Even if you don't like dogs, you will love Sadie), as well as his love interest, Jen. I'll also go off on a tangent and say I usually don't like romances within crime/thriller novels because they're so cliché (big tough law enforcer man makes love to gorgeous smart sexy woman -- I mean, come on), but this one serves a better purpose than heat-of-the-moment sexualization, so it was something I actually appreciated.

The Goodbye Man is a book about honor, not about morals, not ethics, but about what should be done and what stands should be taken when the rest of the world sins by remaining helpless and silent, even at the risk of creating another one of those monsters entirely. Jack's final realization that killing killers isn't ethical is a weighty, character-shaping discovery, one that I'm glad readers will be able to discover on their own. However, we still consider Jack's deeds as the dutiful actions to take for our society. We recognize that people like the Goodbye Man are what put such virtue place. For a riveting and agonizingly compassionate crime thriller not only about a blind country's legal justice system, but also about the one man who aims to vindicate its exploitations, give this one a try. Warning: not for the faint of heart or weak of mind -- brutal kidnapping, rape, and murder scenes exhibited.

Stephanie Loves: "He remembered [the night] like it was yesterday. Horrendous things are like that, he had since learned. They simply don't leave you. You think they do, and for a time, they actually might. But then something triggers them and they're back, just as horrible as they day you experienced them.
Sometimes worse."

Radical Rating: 8 hearts - An engaging read; highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thriller, December 23, 2011
Sandra K. Stiles (Sarasota, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Paperback)
The Goodbye Man is one of those books that makes you think about heinous crimes and vigilantes. As I read about Jack Steele who takes justice into his own hands I thought back to all of the Charles Bronson movies I watched when I was younger. I understood why he exacted justice, yet I did not completely agree with it. If we let vigilantes rule the world we go back to the beginnings of the Old West days when people exacted their own justice. In the book, I understood the Jack's feelings. Let me give you a personal example.

I graduated with a young man who was nice looking, extremely polite, expected to marry his high school sweetheart and become a success. He did all of that. His wife, also a girl I graduated with was best friends with a family with whom I attended church. This young couple often babysat the niece of this family. When this man's marriage began to fail, his wife temporarily moved in with her friends. Out of anger and revenge toward his wife, he picked the young girl he had babysat up on her way home from school. No problem for her, no fear, she had been picked up by him before. This six foot two, 280-pound man raped, murdered and cut up the body of this sweet little seven year old. I was devastated when she went missing as we had lost a young girl who lived at the end of our street the year before. They hunted for her. The parents who were in the Bahamas trying to reconcile their own marriage flew back. A month later hunters found the girls body. When the young man was convicted, I danced around the room. We had the electric chair at that time and I watched for years as he sat on death row waiting his turn. When it finally came, I was glued to the TV because I wanted to know it was over. The funny thing is, I was not thrilled like I figured I would be. My heart ached because another family had lost a child. True it was due to his own fault. The young girl's family had met with this young man on several occasions and let him know that they forgave him. They were vilified for doing such a thing. As a Christian, I understood why they did so, and understood why I felt so bad about my own feelings. Do I believe in capital punishment? You bet I do. However, I have known of several cases where people were wrongfully convicted, served time and released and then the courts system comes back and says, "Oh yeah, we found the guilty party but didn't have enough evidence at the time and someone had to pay." That was a true story. That person's life was ruined. His reputation was ruined. It didn't matter what the law said, because they had been convicted, so there had to have been some element of truth to the matter. On the other hand, I have seen people go free on technicalities or lack of good evidence only to repeat the same offence. We all want to see justice done.

Now that I've gotten off my high horse let me finish my review. The characters were well fleshed out and it was an on the edge of your seat read for me. It kept emotions flowing throughout. I did enjoy it for that very reason. I enjoyed it because I know the difference between fiction and reality. I can justify reading something like this because we all feel like Jack Steele at times. It gives us an out for those feelings. Would I recommend this book? You had better believe it. If I didn't like crime novels like this, I wouldn't read them in the first place. This was a very good book and I will definitely read anything else this author writes. I highly recommended it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The goodbye man, November 25, 2011
Nathalie Brault (St-CAlixte, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Paperback)
This story is riveting, a real page turner, a fantastic thriller. I could not put the book down.
I read it in 3 days. I can only read at night when all is quiet because I work during the day.
The characters were very likable and real and I especially loved the german shepard.
I think she was the best.(laugh). It's the story of a retired criminal investigator named Jack Steel who is totally fed up of all the monsters who rape and torture innocent children, that keep going in and out of prison for different reasons. So Jack and his German Shepard take matters into their own hands and decide to clean up a little bit and do what everybody dream of doing but don't want to of fear of going to jail themselves. SO he gets rid of the disease these monsters are. But naturally, the cops do eventually have suspicions and Jack knows it's only a matter of time before they find him.
This book is very well written and the story is well told from beginning to end.
The end will have you wanting more. I know I can't wait for the sequel.
You can say Chad Barton knows how to tell a great story.
You can add this book to your TBR lists for Christmas.
You can also check out his website here to read the first few chapters to give you an idea of the book.

I give this book 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting novel that's hard to put down!, November 2, 2011
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Paperback)
I have only begun to read "The Goodbye Man" by Chad Barton and I have already found this to be a riveting novel that is hard to put down. In a society where justice is often overlooked because of a faulty system it is interesting to see what a former crime scene invetigator's view is into this dark world. I believe that one day God will ultimately bring justice, but this book gives us a fascinating glimpse of a man taking justice and vengeance into his own hands right now. Great work of fiction. Check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Man, October 25, 2012
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Kindle Edition)
Great story line,hard to put down. Fast moving, exciting, humor. Dog plays outstanding lovable character. The bonding of man and his pet actually is heartwarming. A little sad also. Very emotinal. Good read with a little of everything to keep you interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goodbye Man is wonderful!, October 11, 2012
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this Kindle book. I was hooked from the first page. Chad Barton is a wonderful writer and makes you feel the part of the main character. His writing is fluent with no stops in between. His facts appeared to be true, since I live in the Daytona Beach, Volusia County area. I would love to read more of his books. I read this book originally because the local newspaper gave it a good review as an area writer and the best part is that it was only 99 cents.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goodbye Man by Chad Barton, August 15, 2012
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Kindle Edition)
This action packed thriller mesmerized me to the point I refused to make dinner until I had finished the story. Mr. Barton's skills in making the reader feel the emotions of his characters and understand their motives are excellent.
His many sub-plots merged into the story effortlessly and kept the reader on her toes.The romance was bitter-sweet,but believable. The relationship between the man and his dog was well defined. The dog's character was revealed in the plot.
I could not help liking the protagonist and his dog.
I didn't think I would like the ending as the dog and man died, but the last page offered a hint of more to come. I hope so. I would love to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Thumbs Up!!, December 23, 2011
This review is from: The Goodbye Man (Paperback)
2 Thumbs up for the Goodbye Man! I really like the characters in this book. Jack the retired renegade police officer is the kind of guy I would want on my side. If I was a bad guy I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. Sadie his sidekick dog is great too!

The Goodbye Man