5.0 out of 5 stars The Goode Family a forgotten classic!
Published 18 months ago by M.Hobin

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I expected
This was kinda lame. I mean, it was OK, but I fell asleep a lot as my boyfriend kept watching, out of boredom. Can't even compare to King of the Hill or Beavis Butt-Head, which I would love to buy new ones of both!
Published 21 months ago by D

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goode Family a forgotten classic!, May 28, 2013
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
It is too bad this show didn't have a longer run on prime time broadcast. This show had a lot in common with the much longer running King of the Hill. The humor and animation were similar in tone and appearance. This short lived series shows a flip side to the more down-home theme of King of the Hill. The Goode Family depicted a more liberal, super-environmentally conscious family. The Goode Family was to the liberal side, as King of the Hill was to the conservative side. In both series, the viewer of opposing viewpoints can find plenty to laugh at, and anyone with a fair sense of humor on either side can understand the satire and see plenty of honest introspection within the extremes of whatever side their on. The Goode Family was not preachy even as it addressed what many would consider to be liberal topics and concerns. I wish the series would have lasted longer!
I would think that anyone who enjoyed King of the Hill would enjoy The Goode Family as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars A short-lived TV series from Mike Judge is finally available., March 9, 2013
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
Never shown in its entirety (not all the episodes from the only season were broadcast), this friendly skewering of hippies, tree huggers, vegans, liberals and others on the left side of the political spectrum by the creator of BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD, KING OF THE HILL, OFFICE SPACE and IDIOCRACY is funny yet thoughtful and never really mean to those it makes fun of. The voice talent is top notch and there are some parts that will make you laugh out loud, whether you are a commie pinko or proto-Fascist. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great smart satire, I have been waiting for the DVD release, February 25, 2013
Amazon Customer (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
I loved this show when it was on TV and was disappointed it got cancelled. I'm kind of wondering if over-sensitive people weren't behind getting it cancelled and/or attempts to bring back the series. But I don't find the material mean-spirited AT ALL. It's similar to King of the Hill in quality and smart satiric writing. Like-able characters conflicted over trying to do the right thing.

There is an inherent conflict in trying to be good all the time. It can take over your life. I related with the huge board in the whole-foods-type market which tells shoppers what's good and bad. The board is constantly changing and that's how it feels to me in real life. The same people who walked around with bottled water when I was in high school, presumably because the water wasn't good enough, are now judgmental of water bottles. What, you didn't know about landfills at the time?! The list could go on...

That's fair game for comedy. I would recommend this show, and if you don't find humor in it, maybe do a quick gut-check. You may be taking yourself a little too seriously!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Gooder Than Remembered, December 6, 2012
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
I am a TV on DVD reviewer who received an advance copy of this set. This review IS based on that set.

This review may get my home pelted with cage-free organic eggs, but watching Shout Factory's complete series DVD set, which is being released on January 8, 2013, of the 13-episode 2009 animated comedy "The Goode Family" prompted anger that the series did not last longer. A Christmas wish is that it be revived in the same manner as "Family Guy" and "Futurama."

I do not intend to offend anyone but wish to communicate both that "Goode" is an excellent show and that my personal experiences show that that series expertly lampoons a very influential segment of the American population.

Mike Judge, who brought us the cult classic film "Office Space" and the anti-"Goode Family" hit series "King of the Hill," produced this show about fanatically liberal and progressive couple Gerald and Helen Goode. These folks make Green Party members seem like Tea Baggers.

"Goode" is incredibly awesome and does an even better job at depicting folks to whom I refer as beret wearing poseurs than Judge did regarding providing a look at redneck life in "King."

For the record, I consider myself a moderate and reasonable individual who strongly believes that this nation needs a viable moderate and reasonable political party but ain't holding my breath waiting for that to occur.

I will add that Whole Foods' macaroni and cheese is a contender if I ever need to choose a death-row meal, that I prefer the high quality snacks at Whole Food to more mass-produced products (including the two boxes of Twinkies in my freezer), and that I interrupted writing this view to shop at LL Bean's website.

The main difference regarding "King" and "Goode" is that rednecks seem to have a much better sense of humor about themselves than extreme liberals. As I demonstrate below, "Goode" is spot on and has a wonderful sense of humor regarding fanatical environmental and social conscious views.

The pilot, which centers around wife Helen trying to bond with teen daughter Bliss about sex, includes a scene in which Helen shops at the Whole Foods clone "One Earth." A hilarious shot in that scene shows the price of seemingly identical apples increasing dramatically as their level of organicness supposedly increases. Of course, Helen purchases the most expensive ones.

The scene ends with a highly embarrassed Helen earning evil stares from the checkout cashier and other customers because she forgot her reusable bags. Rather than use paper bag, Helen juggles (and drops) her purchases in her hands.

This scene reminded me of driving across the entire city of Denver during rush hour with a friend, who is very active with the Green Party, to get lettuce at a Whole Foods because he refused to shop at a traditional grocery store.

Of course, my friend refused to get a bag any time that we shopped during the visit. This once involved him juggling (and dropping) items.

Similarly. Trader Joe's cashiers always insist on cramming my paper bags so full that they inevitably break. I have also had requests for plastic bags, to better keep frozen items cool, met with looks that suggested that I made an unwelcome sexual advance.

Closer to home, there have been a few times when another friend's car has come incredibly close to running out of gas late at night because he refused to buy gas from Mobil Exxon because he disagreed with some of their corporate policies.

Another episode has husband Gerald Goode campaigning for a Public Broadcast Radio (PBR) station in his community. He succeeds to learn that this NPResque organization is just as ruthless as openly commercial radio stations. A PBR representative trying to explain that a 30-second corporate sponsorship message differs from a radio ad is hilarious.

I regularly listen to NPR and attended a wonderful live recording of that network's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me." However, I have patronized many "corporate sponsors" because I wanted their products independently of their support for public broadcast.

I also love the "Car Talk" guys' references to their "shameless commerce" division.

Additional terrific episodes include one in which Gerald inadvertently acquires a group of immigrant day laborers and Helen accidentally exploits a third-world refugee. Judge follows this one up with Helen and Gerald getting inner-city kids pummeled by posting their artsy photos in their school.

An additional great theme is the subversive acts of Bliss, who is the Marilyn Munster of the group, and her redneck maternal grandfather. Seeing this pair gleefully throw out disgusting and embarrassing items to torment a visiting guru who lives on items from garbage cans is fall on the floor funny.

An episode in which Bliss and Grandpa operate a joint fake ID business is equally funny. They recognize that her friends can drive at night and that his friends can buy beer.

The bottom line is that this is an excellent show that is rarely, if ever, syndicated that is well worth owning. The deleted scenes and unaired scripts are nice bonuses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise!, February 18, 2013
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
I didn't know about this cartoon until I read Mike Judge's filmography. So, upon seeing this was the complete series, I didn't want to miss out on some more Mike Judge material. And I'm glad I ordered it, because I have loved each episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goode stuff!, May 24, 2013
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
A funny and irreverent look at the liberal world & culture. While not for everyone, smart humor and storylines help raise the bar above other prime-time animated shows that rely on spiteful and crude jokes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I knew about this sooner, March 14, 2014
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
Not that my viewership alone would have saved it, but anyhow. Yeah, I don't know why this died out so soon, some speculate it's because it bashed the left which is a no no in Hollywood, but if that's the case why would they have greenlit it in the first place? I don't know, maybe it just wasn't promoted properly, I had never heard of it and only found it by chance 5yrs later.

To leftist who hate it, well, come on now, there is no shortage of movies/TV shows bashing right wingers, as someone who's views are more middle of the road it's nice to see the other side get some criticism for once. Funny thing is tho, for those who actually watch the show it wasn't even necessarily bashing lefties altogether, it was just bashing people who go around always thinking they have everything right and everyone else has it all wrong, and there are no shortage of those types on BOTH sides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goode Family is Really Good, February 3, 2014
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
We love this series and re-watch it many times. It's 70's theme is bright and colorful along with the dialogue and issues the family faces. It's very clever and so sad it wasn't picked up in popularity by the public at large. We hope in the future Judge and co-authors can work with this series again. It's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge is hilarious, October 6, 2013
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
Mike Judge always funny, I liked this show more than king of the hill. I know people that are like the Goode family

5.0 out of 5 stars christmas, October 4, 2013
This review is from: The Goode Family: The Complete Series (DVD)
I ordered this as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend. It came quickly and was just what I was hoping for!

The Goode Family: The Complete Series
The Goode Family: The Complete Series by Jennifer Coyle (DVD - 2013)
$22.97 $14.81