Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 29, 2009
My daughter read this book and she LOVED it! She said it was wonderful like Hale's past book Princess Academy.

It's about a princess (Ani) who gets over-thrown by her lady in waiting (Selia) and had to work as a goose girl in her
betrothed's castle. Ani has a special gift: the gift of speaking to animals. Ani must regain her rightful place on the
throne before Selia (Who looke almost like Ani's twin) decides to do away with Ani.

Will Ani overcome Selia? Will she have to be a goose girl forever? Will she ever get her happily ever after?

Some of the characters in the goose girl are also in the other books such as Enna Burning so look out for them.

I reccomend this book for ages 10 and up or under if your child can read these kinds of thick books.

I hope this review was helpful to you buyers!

Enjoy your time with this magical, captivating, and enchanting book!
on November 28, 2014
This book is hard to judge. While there's suggestuon of rape and violence, which would make the target audience older, it's incredibly bland and predictable from the start. And it's set for someone with a 4th grade reading level. Maybe 3rd grade. Pretty unoriginal and one dimensional characters- again fine for a 3rd grader. But anything above that seems like a waste of time.
on January 10, 2010
This took me some time to get into, and at 400 pages, I was worried I would be reading forever something I didn't love. But I had read Shannon Hale before, and knew I wanted to see this through because I generally like her, but I didn't feel connected to the story or Isi until she got to the city and became a goose girl. I ended up being really engaged, and I intend to continue on with the series, but I have reservations: I found some things predictable, but it was so in the way that fairy tales are, so this wasn't as much of an issue as it could have been. Also, I sometimes felt that the writing was a bit heavy-handed, if that makes sense. And as I said, it takes some getting into. But in spite of all this, I would still recommend it. There comes a point where the characters come alive and seem to come into their own, and that is enjoyable.
on April 3, 2009
I had to fight my way through Princess Academy. I was wary of Shannon Hale's literature after that initial taste.

But something kept prodding me to buy The Goose Girl. So, after a year of reluctance to pay money for another disjointed tale, I finally caved in and bought it.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

I'm in love. Completely in love. I have not had such a rousing good read in a long time. I thought J.K. Rowling was good. I thought Stephanie Meyers was great. I raved over Robin McKinley and Garth Nix.

But this book is perfection. A seamless tale of cowardice versus courage, The Goose Girl effortlessly steals you away to join in poignant moments, dangerous thrills, and heart-thumping journeys. It would almost seem as though this book were born, not written.

Buy it. Read it. Love it. You will adore Ani's growing spirit.
on May 29, 2008
I got interested in this book through a friend who told me all about it. The tale is a retelling of Grimm Brother's Goose Girl, yet it is re-told with new. It is a good read and well written. I find myself telling the main character what to do in the different situations and dangers she must encounter to find her own talents in life. She must learn many things to become what she truly is ... a queen to guide and protect her own people. I believe this book is appropriate for teens and older. It will help to ease many of their fears of the future and help them with their own self-esteem. A great book if you like wholesome reading for your children and peace of mind for you.
Anna del C.
Author of "The Elf and the Princess"
The Elf and The Princess: The Silent Warrior Trilogy - Book One (The Silent Warrior Trilogy)
on February 14, 2010
This uplifting novel absolutely captivated my 13-year-old daughter, so I decided to give it a try. I found the opening chapters charming and entertaining, although a little simple. But that quickly changed as the story took off, and I was soon as engrossed as my daughter had been. I kept turning pages and didn't get anything done that day. The author does a good job of establishing an old world, fairy tale mood. I felt swept away. Many fantasy novels ruin the mood by throwing in modern-sounding dialogue, but not here. I liked the way the main character developed throughout the story, growing stronger through her trials. The story has action, romance, friendship, and just enough violence to keep it exciting. I strongly recommend it to girls ages 11 and older . . . and moms like me in the mood for a wonderful, uplifting novel.
on February 18, 2015
I love this series!!!!! If you love fantasy and drama and romance, thus is perfect! :)!!!!! Best book ever! Yay!
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2009
The Goose Girl is the story of Ani, Crown Princess of Kildenree. Ani is betrothed to the Crown Prince of Bayern, which is a month's journey away. On the way to Bayern, some things happen that will change Ani's life forever. I don't want to go into more detail for fear of ruining the story for people that want to read it.

I do enjoy a good fantasy story now and then and this was a great one. The author does a wonderful job of pulling you into the story and making you want to keep reading way into the wee hours. I loved the characters and I was excited to discover that this is a series. I've also heard this is based on a story by the Grimm Brothers, but I've never read it. This book makes me want to seek out the original and read it. I'm also putting the second book on my wish list.
on March 22, 2012
We listened to this book on CD as a family. It took us by total surprise!!! It has now become one of our very favorite books. It created a story that was so beautiful, we wanted it to continue forever. Glad to find out it's a series.
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2008
For years I thought I was the only person on the planet familiar with the fairy tale of the Goose Girl. How thrilled I was to read a novel based upon the story!

Shannon Hale, as most writers of fairy tale retalings, goes an extra step to make a threat of warfare behind the simple story of a betrayed princess.

Ani is a princess with a load of responsibilities and loyalties, including an arranged marriage with the purpose of creating a union between two kingdoms. She also happens to have a special gift--speaking to nature (which fits very well into the original fairytale).

This is a story full of the usual romance and adventure, but it also packs an extra dose of magic and a surprisingly delightful addition of political strategy.

A great read