1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cream of the Crop for Harvesting the Word from Luke, August 21, 2010
This review is from: The Gospel According to Luke X-XXIV: Introduction, Translation, and Notes (The Anchor Bible, Vol 28A) (Chapters 10-24 v. 2) (Hardcover)
This is the second of a two-volume set. I have owned both of them for over 20 years. These are primarily reference books of a technical and seasonal nature. They are like a companion that you don't see for a while but reacquaint yourself with periodically. Every three years, when the Catholic Church is in Cycle C of the Lectionary, the readings are primarily from Luke's gospel. These are great for following the Church through the weeks of this cycle. I am not a Biblical Scholar. What's more, I have only a rudimentary working knowledge of Greek and am therefore somewhat limited to the amount of research I can do. As well, I am limited by time. I have a number of other sources to use. Nevertheless, when I need strict Biblical interpretation for weekly writing or teaching, I prefer to use these volumes, before going anywhere else.

I do not regard every volume of the Anchor Bible series to be of equal weight; however, I always find myself returning to Fitzmeyer for exegesis and hermeneutics on the Gospel of Luke. His work in these volumes has stood the test of time. Nothing like them has come along during this time which can compete with them in this regard.

As I look at these volumes within my library, maybe the greatest compliment I can give Fitzmeyer is that the books look used and the dust jackets worn over the years. I have appreciated and valued his scholarship.

Rate and Discover Movies