Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

100%
Format: PaperbackChange

on June 17, 2002
The Gospel of Colonus "Greatest Performances" on video IS the BEST performances I have ever seen. I have searched HI and LOW for the video and still no luck. It has to be away to get this video!!! All I have is the PBS version (shown in 1985)and you can imagine how it is now. (sad face) But I recommend that EVERYONE see this performance. The story of Oedipus transformed into a gospel play that will send shivers up your spine! As you look at the video, you will forget where you are at the moment and think that you are there. I am sure the book is great, but the PLAY is AWESOME!!! I believe the play is MUCH better than the book because you can live it an feel what each character is feeling. THEY NEED TO PRINT THE MOVIE!!! WE NEED BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!!!
11 comment18 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2001
Of course everybody knows the Oedipus myth, it's like something out of a Jerry Springer show {grin}. But what happened afterwards?
This adaptation of Sophocles' OEDIPUS AT COLONUS by Lee Breuer retains the spirit of the Greek playwright's reflections upon death, while giving it a baptism into the African-American church. But it is Bob Telson's gospel/blues-inflected songs (performed by the Soul Stirrers, Clarence Fountain and the Blind Boys of Alabama, among others) on the cast album (not included here, this is just a paperback, the text of the play) that make this 'Gospel' experience what it is.
...It only had a short run on Broadway in the 1980's, yet the memories will reverberate long afterwards...
Be sure to get the cast CD for maximum enjoyment...
...Pity the GREAT PERFORMANCES video is out of print...
on April 1, 2005
Yes, this video performance must be re-released! How important is this production to me: 1987 -saw this live seven times! 1997- took 15 people to see the 10th Anniversary show! Have the soundtrack on vinyl, cassette and DVD. A good friend GAVE me a copy of the PBS performance (still in excellent condition).

Here's a production that is more than just creative staging. It's a life lesson about forgiveness and redemption.
on February 24, 2006
I want the tape as well! Saw it on PBS and like the rest of the reviewers can't find it any where. HELP!
on June 1, 2006
I saw the play on PBS and was amazed at the production. It was one of the best plays that I have ever seen. I have been in search of the video version of the play for years and have yet to find it. I have the cd version of the Philadelphia cast of The Gospel at Colonus, but I would be ecstatic if I can own the video/dvd version of the play. If anyone knows where I can get a video version of the play, please share the information with the rest of us.
on July 7, 2014
This is a wonderful text, all the better if you're familiar with Sophocles. The original production, featuring the Five Blind Boys of Alabama as the chorus, is really one of the outstanding theatrical coups of modernity. It's really remarkable how the Sophoclean vision maps into the gospel idiom, and the degree to which Breuer and company communicate the weirdness of it all--the accursed Oedipus, finding his blessed home at last. Btw a scandalous footnote to the production is that the Five Blind Boys are not really blind, but only astigmatic.
on March 7, 2009
This is an outstanding DVD/CD/Book. Anyone who loves traditional Gospel should have this in their collection. I looked for this for over 10 years! Thanks Amazon.com!!!!!
on September 2, 2013
This text helps clarify who the participants in the wonderful video are. Makes it a little easier to follow the action in the video.
on November 22, 2013
Great product. It looked good and was just what I expected it to be. I will be getting product of this type in the future.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2013
If you have not seen this you are missing a wonderful play! One of the all time BEST oldie but goodie