Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Gourmet's Guide to Cooking with Wine
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on February 12, 2014
After ruining a dinner with the wrong wine I decided that maybe I should learn more about cooking with wine. I ordered three books. This was my second favorite. It tells the beginner about the different wines and recommends which ones to use with each recipe. It also describes how the wine changes with cooking time. It has 232 pages. Some of the recipes look a little sweeter than I would prefer.
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2009
In this cookbook you use wine to flavor and enhance all your recipes. It's not meant to open a bottle of wine specifically to make a recipe but rather using up the last cup from the bottle you had a couple of days ago.

This book takes simple recipes from simple to extraordinary by the addition of wine. You marinade meat, flavor stews, create sauces, and then add the punch to desserts all with the addition of a little wine. The Champagne dressing was wonderful. I also had the Burgundy Balsamic Chicken breasts and they were delish.

All the pictures are nice, the pages are glossy for easy cleaning. The book is not a full size book it's half size. The front cover is a Fiasco bottle. This would be a great gift to give with a bottle of Chianti that is in a Fiasco bottle, I don't know if you can still find them anywhere.

If you have any questions, leave in the comments and I'll try to answer. The wines included were all types, red, white, champagne. Some specifically listed a certain white (i.e. Chenin Blanc) while others just said white wine. Either way I think you'd have a winner. This is definitely the book to use to help use of that last little bit of wine...or better yet pop the cork and have the same wine with dinner!

Another descent cookbook that takes the ordinary and makes it extra ordinary is The Spaghetti Sauce Gourmet: 160 Recipes from Four Kinds of Sauce that with a addition of a few simple ingredients you have something wow.
This book could be labeled enchanting. Absolutely enchanting. Cooking with wine is a nice technique for adding flavor to one's dishes. I use it pretty often, from my old dinner party standby, Beef bourguignon, to my wife's family recipe for spaghetti sauce (or, as they refer to it, "gravy"). This book expands my wine cooking horizons considerably.

The book begins with a warning from Julia Child: "If you put rot-gut in, you'll get rut-gut out." Only use wine in a recipe that you would drink yourself! The author notes that (Page 6) ". . .a nice wine will only enhance a dish, such as in a sauce whose flavors are intensified through reduction."

Some of the recipes in here I have made before, such as Beef Bourguignon, Coq au vin, Coquilles Saint Jacques, Chicken Piccata, and so on. But the recipes of these tried and true dishes are different enough from mine that I can experiment.

The book proceeds as follows:

Introduction. Here, we get a brief essay on cooking with wine, a listing of wines that are good for cooking, and how long it takes alcohol from the wine to burn off.

Appetizers and soups. Here are some nice examples of wine with appetizers and soups. Chablis Vichyssoise: An old favorite, Vichyssoise, gets some new life with two cups of Chablis. Or French Onion Soup Chardonnay. I don't much enjoy Chardonnay, but I can see how this would add a nice taste to French Onion Soup. Indeed, this recipe is different from the one that I have used, and "Vive la difference!" Then there is a recipe for a salad dressing, featuring 1/4 cup of sherry (Allison's House Dressing).

The Great European Classics. Here, we see a series of classic recipes and their use of wine. Already mentioned, Beef Bourguignon, Coquilles Saint Jacques, Coq au Vin (with white wine instead of red; an interesting change of pace). Other interesting classics mentioned in this section: Veal Marsala and Veal Oscar.

Beef, Veal, Pork, and Lamb. I enjoy Steak Diane a great deal. I have not made it in the past; I note that there is an array of recipes available. Here is a nice variation. The wine used? Madeira. Also, cognac (or brandy). I've tended to use a meatloaf recipe from "Joy of Cooking," but the one in this book will be my next meatloaf effort--Mom's Madeira Meatloaf with Cremini Gravy. The meatloaf has standard ingredients--plus the Madeira. The gravy features cremini or portobello mushrooms with, you guessed it, more Madeira.

There follows sections on Poultry, Seafood, Pasta, Side dishes, and Brunch.

Great pictures of the dishes. The instructions, for the most part, are straightforward. A good concept lies at the heart of this volume and that concept is executed well.
88 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2013
I was looking for more of beginners book about specifically what wines are to be used in the cooking aspect and the reasoning behind the selection because of what the wine contributes to the dish. The book I got re Dummies and wine gave me basically what I got here.
on January 30, 2013
This cookbook came in good condition and has been a delight to browse through. The recipes, though untried to date, look delicious and not overly complicated. The wines used within the recipes should be readily available in whatever area you live. I can't wait to get started cooking with the help of this book.
on February 27, 2011
I bought this as a birthday gift for a person who is going on a wine tour. We each have limited wine knowledge. Even if we do not like the wine we may have a reason to buy to make a recipe. The pictures are great. I have not cooked any of the recipes but feel inspired to purchase wine for trying them.
on December 16, 2013
Some decent recipes, very small book. Not as many recipes for preparing bakery products as I would have liked. Some of the recipes can be adapted to using liquers instead of spirits or wines, but you have to be an experienced, knowledgeable cook to do this.
on January 14, 2015
I liked thiis book so well, I bought two more to give to my son and his wife and also to another couple who are long time friends.
on January 22, 2013
Full of great information, recipes, clear and easy to follow. Plus, it looks great on your kitchen counter or atop a wine rack.
on June 3, 2011
GREAT COOKBOOK!! I have tried many reciepes out of this book all great, cool cover also! the book was in like new condition