Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

VINE VOICEon November 23, 2009
The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl (TM) by Mignon Fogarty, the Grammar Girl herself, is a must-have for anyone who loves grammar, diction, and the simple, proper use of words. Organized like a religious devotional, the book provides readers with a grammar or writing rule, factoid, or puzzle (word scramble, crossword, etc.) for each day of the year. The tips are quick, humorous, and informative. Because the book is organized in numbered weeks (e.g., Week 1, Sunday), you can start reading it anytime without having to wait for a particular month or the first of the year.

This devotional is best suited for those who already love grammar and who crave a daily dose of Grammar Girl's wit and wisdom. I wouldn't recommend it to those looking for a style manual or a book on writing technique, because it's not organized in that way. If you're looking for that, I would recommend Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing.

This little book is so much fun that my spouse and I look forward to reading the tip to each other every day, and I plan to gift a copy to my English professor parents for Christmas!
VINE VOICEon May 9, 2010
With wit and brevity, this book makes grammar fun! Just like a spiritual devotional, this book offers short, daily readings, usually just half a page. The book is organized by generic weeks so you're not restricted by a calendar. Rather, you can start wherever and whenever you want.

The author's love of language comes through in her content which spans from practical tips and rules to history, trivia, and games. Usually punctuation is on Mondays, Language Rock Stars on Wednesdays, quizzes and word scrambles on Fridays, word searches and puzzles on Sundays. Simple line illustrations add dry humor to the book.

The included index allows readers to search for specific content making this an valuable reference book as well.

Final Thoughts: I love it! This book offers an excellent (and easy) way to keep your mind sharp without drudging through long, boring exercises and seemingly irrelevant rules. We often forget what we once knew. This little book serves as a welcome reminder.
on April 30, 2010
I purchased this book after discovering Mignon's "Grammar Girl" blog, in hopes of improving my writing skills. Much like the blog, the entries are on random topics. I would prefer if the progression of entries was more structured, for instance beginning with simpler, more often encountered grammar rules and building to more obscure or complicated tips. The entries are very short, which is nice for reading a small entry every day, or just browsing through. I imagine the index will also come in handy for quick checks on how to use similar words.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
I love this book! Fogarty has a fresh and realistic approach to English and to teaching. Finally someone points out the fact that there are still conflicting opinions (Elements of Style, Chicago Style Manual) and they are ALL ok. I teach English in Italy and her book has also given me some clever ways to explain things. I love my job, but there are times when you need a new, concise, and delightfully clever way of explaining things. This book has definitely given me a few ideas.

On a side note, this is also a great book if you've got obnoxious friends who are self-proclaimed grammar experts (You know who I mean, the ones who live to correct other people and they're usually WRONG.) Keep it handy when they're around, read a passage or two from the book, shout "boo ya! In your face!" and then proceed to do a short victory dance around the room.
on December 24, 2013
Great book. As a grammer nazi (so I've been told), even I had to refer back to this book a few times for correction (like blond vs. blonde). Throughout this book, you'll find yourself making mental notes over and over again. Great buy!
on January 4, 2013
I love this book and would give it five stars if it were better behaved on the Kindle; all of the exercise links go to a general exercise section instead of the specific exercise.

I don't really read it day-at-a-time, but usually three or four days worth in short sessions. It's perfect for the odd down-time moments during my day.
on October 31, 2013
Anyone who loves English and grammar will enjoy this book. I bought for granddaughter but I enjoy it as much as she does. Little tidbits of information reveals our bad habits! Great for any age in my opinion.
on June 7, 2015
I taught middle and high school grammar. A lot of this is "old hat." However Mignon's clear, easy to grasp presentation in all her works is what, I suppose, put her at the top of her discipline. I've got everything available of hers. She's corrected me on a few points and I enjoy every minute with her material. I'm pleased to have her in my library.
on August 7, 2012
I've listened to the Grammar Girl podcast for years now and played them in my English and Creative Writing classes, and this book is even better! Daily grammar tips delivered in the inimitable Grammar Girl style with her prolific cast of characters -- the book verges on cutesy without ever forgetting that we rely on her concise advice (don't you just love it when words rhyme like that?) about grammar and word use. This book also features quizzes and puzzles and mnemonics, and I use it both personally and professionally.
on March 13, 2010
I look forward to starting my workday with Mignon. :-)

Many, many days I learn something new.