5.0 out of 5 stars How could you not love these songs?
One of the songs, "I Can't Get Started with You," contains the line, "Tina Turner's had me for tea." Now, there's a visual.

I have an embarrassing memory of canoodling with a date in his orange shag-carpeted apartment while watching Rod sing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" on TV. Fortunately, both Rod and I have come a long way since then.

Love these songs...
Published on February 4, 2006 by S. E. Fanning

3.0 out of 5 stars Great as a non-Rocker
I never was a fan of Rod Stewart until this series. Didn't care for the DVD at all, but the CDs are incredible. He actually pulls off this genre` perfectly. Ordered a set for my Dad's 90th birthday.
Published on November 30, 2009 by S. Knapp

5.0 out of 5 stars How could you not love these songs?, February 4, 2006
This review is from: The Great American Songbook Collection (4CD/DVD) (Audio CD)

Love these songs so much. Very romantic and Rod's voice is perfect My particular favorites are "Smile," "Wonderful World," "Give Me a Kiss to Build a Dream On," "Stardust" (with Eric Claptaon), "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" (with Cher), "I'll Take Manhattan" (with Bette Midler), and "Baby, it's Cold Outside" (with Dolly Parton).

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been a Rod Stewart fan, but these are fantastic!, November 21, 2005
I've never been much of a Rod Stewart fan, but I absolutely love these albums! I heard my son playing them, and was immediately enticed and had to have the boxed set. They bring back memories of my father telling me about the big open-air dance theater that he used to go to back in the 40's and 50's. He told me there was magic at these dances with the moon and stars, beautiful music, beautiful girls, and romance in the air. They were the place to go and romance your sweetheart. This boxed set of four CD's contains elegant and classy renditions of old American classic favorites from a romantic era when music was special and the lyrics and melodies meant something. The boxed set also contains a short DVD and a photo and story insert about the creation of this series of great American classics. It is hard to pick any favorites in these CD's, because I love all the songs. Some of my favorites are "It Had to Be You", "Moonglow", "I'll Be Seeing You", "Smile", "As Time Goes By" (featuring Queen Latifah), "Stardust", "Isn't It Romantic", "Long Ago and Far Away", and "Let's Fall In Love". The orchestrations and contributing artists are top-notch. The only song that I would have liked to see another artist perform with Rod on is "Baby, It's Cold Outside", which he sings with Dolly Parton. Her squeaky, hillbilly voice just sent chills down my spine, like scratching your fingernails on a blackboard. It just doesn't lend well to these classy songs. It is evident in the span of the CD's how Stewart's voice and the arrangments of the music evolve to become better and smoother. Some people might say that Stewart's voice doesn't lend well to this type of music, but not any more so than Louis Armstrong's voice did when he sang the classics. Stewart sings with a passion that makes each song meaningful and special. This genre was a great transition for Stewart to change to after his Pop/Rock career. So light the fire, fix that special dinner, break out the wine and candles, and slow dance with your sweetheart to these magical melodies that will take you away to a very romantic place. I have listened to these CD's over and over since purchasing them, and they have definitely become some of my favorites. Stewart comments that he has no plans to continue with the great American classics series he has started, but I sincerely hope that he will decide to make more of these CD's. He has touched my heart and soul with these beautiful melodies, and you won't be disappointed with these treasures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Having seen Frank Sinatra perform live...., December 1, 2005
Jake "Angeljake" (St Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
What makes this series so rare is that the 4 volumes all compliment each other. Rod Stewart's voice is in great form and the arrangements are so simple and unassuming that you simply enjoy the music from one disc to the next. Great for the holidays, dinnertime, when company is over, right before you go to sleep etc. My favorite duet is the one with Cher from volume 2 but if you dont happen to care for an artist that Rod is duetting with rest assured that it doesnt take away from the realxing quality of the set as a whole. Although this isnt Sinatra its great to have a box of light standards that please from one disc to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for MY memories, December 31, 2005
This boxed set was given to me as a Christmas Gift...but the memories each song has stirred up in my mind is more than any gift could have given.....memories of my parents dancing together...family gatherings from the past....old high school friends...unbelieveable--Thanks for the Memories!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great as a non-Rocker, November 30, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, April 19, 2010
Rod Stewart really had a good idea to record all these songs ! I'm so glad that I heard one of these CDs in the bar of an hotel I was staying at in Portugal last winter... I was a fan of Rod Stewart when I was younger but I didn't know he has recorded jazz songs from the past ! I'm fan again !!

5.0 out of 5 stars best work for rocker rod, April 11, 2010
the songbook collections are amazing. although they were songs before my time somehow rod (and his various featured duet artists) make these songs current and extremely enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been a fan....Until Now!!!, May 16, 2006
I love Rod's take on these sweet,sentimental,classic songs.Grab a glass of Chablis...dim the lights...turn the phone off...and fall into each others arms....ahhhh...romance :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars One G.A.S.masterpiece after another..How does he do it ??, October 16, 2006
Finally,this marvelous work is cornered and boxed for your listening and dancing pleasure.Legions of fans have expressed their raving reviews and I'd humbly wish to add mine.The obvious secret of this projects success begins with the actual song selections. Where on earth,did Rod's team unearth these musical gems? For too long, many of these tunes were ignored for weeks on end without the proper vocal appreciation.This set demonstrates Rod's artistic ability to change the musical winds and elevate this material to the precipice,on which it richly deserves to rest.Second,an equally important,are the musical arrangements represented throughout this work.Simply put, Jackie Gleason would blush with envy. Rod and company have guided these charts in a direction other arrangers fear to tread.Last but not least,Rod's unnatural ability to deconstruct these musical treasures acts as the tipping point to their universal appeal. His energy and artistic perspiration are evident throughout this classic series.My only disappointment,rests with the fact that Rod may have concluded his recorded exploration of the Great American Standards.However,it's whispered, among fans, that a G.A.S.box set containing rarities,b/c,d sides, outtakes, alt.takes and demo's may still see the light of day.Hopefully,the legendary and much bootlegged,Makin Whoopee,alt.take#38 will be included. Sadly,as Rod turns his talent towards recording the entire classic RocknRoll canon,other side projects have been abandoned or delayed. The much anticipated,Rod Sings the Work of Stephen Foster, has,I understand, been shelved.However, there's still some hope the rumoured recording of, Rod Humms the Ray Noble Classics Live on the Beach at St Tropez,accompanied by only a gin and lemmon squash, will possibly see a future release date. Until then, remember,a day without Rod's music is a non-rodday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rod Stewart - Great American Song Book, November 11, 2011
This CD and all of the Rod Stewart classics are as good as music can get. It is a must for any music collection. He is just great singing the classics.

The Great American Songbook Collection (4CD/DVD)
The Great American Songbook Collection (4CD/DVD) by Rod Stewart (Audio CD - 2005)