Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on March 5, 2007
"...looking Crockett-and-Tubbs cool..."

I love Millenia's style and this one was a roller coaster of emotions throughout the book. I loved the desperation of the characters. In this book, as opposed to The Great Pretender, the characters were likable. I wanted to help them. I wanted them to help themselves. They became so real to me. Twists and turns, I never knew what to expect next. Although I did have the betrayal figured out in the beginning, there were enough twists to have me doubting myself. Upon the realization I was correct though, it was still a horrible shock to the system. I liked The Great Pretender, but I REALLY liked The Great Betrayal.
on December 30, 2007
With a one year old, I very rarely get much time to sit down and read. So, when I tell you that I read this book in ONE DAY, you know it was amazing! It was not only an interesting read, but fun.

Since I read The Great Pretender and devoured it with enjoyment, I'd been waiting for Millenia Black's second novel. I was thrilled when one was published!

As was her first book, this book was about family secrets, dynamics, relationships, struggles, drama, over-coming obstacles, growing. It's about love, loss, pain, loyalty, and betrayal. I won't give anything away about the story, other than to say that I think you'll be hooked after the first page, just as I was.

It's not often you find a great author, often I find myself reading authors just because I am used to picking up their latest book, or just because I want to try something new. Many times the read is satisfactory. Sometimes I hope that the writing or plots will get better. However, I have been learning that trying new genre's, authors, can really pay off. I hope that people will give Millenia Black a chance, and I hope to see her books get the attention in the media and such that I think they deserve!
on March 3, 2007
Leslie Cavanaugh seems to have grabbed the brass ring of life. She has a handsome husband who loves her, a lovely daughter and enough money to splurge. Her life in beautiful Palm Beach ,Florida seems to be a dream come true.

Unfortunately, dreams can become nightmares and Leslie's past is about to come back to haunt her. We all have secrets and "skeletons in our closets". Leslie has kept her past under wraps, but now it looks like it all is coming to light and her present may be destroyed. As Leslie deals with her past, she also deals with today's traumas. Her husband, Luke, may be having an affair and her beloved daughter, Kathryn, seems to be involved in a very scary situation. Kathryn is in her early teens and has to deal with insecurities and finding love in a family that appears to be coming apart at the seams.

In this second stunning novel Ms. Black shows it is possible to make flawed characters fascinating. Leslie is less than likable, but she comes to life along with the other character through intense, emotional dialog and vibrant narrative. It is easy to judge these characters as having to live with choices made, but we never know how we would react to extreme situations. The book contains a reader's guide with discussion questions. The Great Betrayal would be an excellent choice for a book club with many juicy, thought provoking topics to discuss.

If you have not already read it, I highly recommend Ms. Black's debut novel, The Great Pretender. I look forward to a third book that this wonderful writer has in the works.

Review courtesy of A Romance Reviews
on December 5, 2006
Life was perfect for Leslie Phillips until the day a freak accident killed her husband. She lived in a state of shock until after giving birth to his child, then ran away to begin a new life in Florida. She never returned for her baby, Grace; nor did she tell her new husband, Luke Cavanaugh about her past. Years pass, and suddenly, all she left behind catches up with Leslie. Grace learns the truth about who her mother is and wants to start a relationship. Leslie has to tell her new family the truth and face up to her mistakes. A storm of angst and other, less definable emotions rises up to envelop everyone around her. When grief, love, revenge, need, and hate are so tightly bound together, the consequences are guaranteed to be ugly. Leslie just has no idea how much so.

**** This is a very well written book, but very difficult to read. Many may see Leslie as unsympathetic, but if you have gone through a dark night of the soul, she's someone you can relate to. However, the fall out from her actions is something readers should be aware is very grim, to put it mildly. There are scenes of child molestation, which are not graphic, but convey the feeling without being too explicit. Nonetheless, it's a powerful, cautionary tale. ****

Amanda Killgore
on December 10, 2006
I have read both Millenia Black books and loved them. This one was very much written in a fashion similar to the styles of Jackie Collins and Sidney Sheldon.

You don't like the characters; however your compelled to read on. I think the time changes were approriate and I had figured out one scenario in the book; but never thought of how it would end.

I'm also enjoyed the reading guide and interview in the back of the book. I'm looking forward to her next book.
on January 19, 2007
This is Millenia's second book - and is a really good read. Leslie Cavanaugh is a successful business woman, married to a gorgeous man called Luke, and they have a daughter Kathryn. They have a wonderful life - but Leslie has a secret - and she has been deceiving her family, as well as herself. When the secret is discovered, the Cavanaugh's world comes apart. As the family learns to deal with the past - Luke and Kathryn start to cover up their own secrets. But only one will commit the ultimate great betrayal.

This book is very well written. It successfully evokes intense emotional pain and conveys to the reader how differently people all react to trauma. Each of the characters are very real and the four main characters each have their own misfortune to face - and some of the events that happen are quite shocking. Millenia has been able to bring all the threads together, travelling between the past and the present skilfully - to produce a can't put down until you're finished novel.
on June 4, 2008
Upon meeting Leslie Cavanaugh, you'd think she had the perfect life: a wonderful husband, a beautiful daughter, a nice home, and a good job. But Leslie is a woman with a secret, a secret that is about to turn her life upside down.
Leslie Cavanaugh was once Leslie Phillips, married to the man of her dreams, Jeffrey Phillips and pregnant with their child. But tragedy stricks her to the core when Jeffrey dies from a tragic accident, leaving her in a grief-stricken nightmare that she cannot awake from. Not being able to cope with her husband's death, she leaves her daughter with Jeffery's family and disappears.
Fifteen years later, she is now married to the incredibly handsome Luke Cavanaugh, living the life she never thought would be possible after Jeffery's death. But secrets can't stay buried for long, and now, the daughter that she left behind fifteen years ago, yearns to have a relationship with her birth mother, leaving Leslie no choice but to tell her family and friends the secret she tried to hide all of these years. Will Leslie's secret tear her family apart? Will her estranged daughter forgive her for abandoning her all of those years? Leslie faces her past, her secrets, and her demons head on while trying to hold her family together all at once. Will she survive the secrets of her past? Most of all, will she survive 'The Great Betrayal'??

Latasha
Vice President of B~more Readers with W.I.S.D.O.M Book Club
Baltimore, Maryland
b_morereaderswithwisdom@yahoo.com
[...]
on September 2, 2010
This writer is so good at writing love scenes! I blushed while reading.

This is the story of Leslie Cavanaugh and how she ran away from her past and it caught up with her still. I was up until the wee hours with this one. A rousingly good read! Get it now.
on July 30, 2010
I read this book in two sittings. I got sucked in from the beginning with what happened to Jeffrey Cavanaugh and Leslie runs away leaving her baby behind. How could a mother do that? I struggled with Leslie's actions at points because as a mother I can't imagine doing some of the things she did, but somehow I still sympathized with her. This is a great story, that will keep you up.
on October 29, 2010
This is a great story of love, family, and betrayal.
I couldn't put this book down.