4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect Pizza, but Very Good!
First of all, NO, these are not the secret recipes of Giordano's, Gino's, Pizzeria Uno, or the others.
Published on April 29, 2002 by Miranda

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Restaurant Recipes
Published on December 20, 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect Pizza, but Very Good!, April 29, 2002
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
They are, however, very good pizza recipes. My main criticism of the book is that some of the instructions are incomplete. For example, in the stuffed pizza recipe he tells you to put the sauce on top of the pizza without pre-cooking the pizza at all. In my experience, that always results in a doughy, partially-uncooked top crust. I prebake the pizza with no sauce for about 10 minutes, then add the sauce, and it's great. But Bruno should've told me that; I shouldn't have had to figure it out for myself.
Yes, I would like to get my hands on the actual Giordano's recipe, but these recipes still beat any pizza I can get here in Oregon.

5.0 out of 5 stars REAL pizza, December 10, 1996
Ok. I'm a pizza snob (pizza elitist?). I'll admit it. It's
hard to live in or near Chicago for any length of time and
not become one. I recently moved from Illinois to the west
coast and have come to the conclusion that good pizza
doesn't exist out here. So, I've been making my own.

This book provides good recipes and recommendations on
ingredients. A definite must for transplanted Chicagoans.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Chicago-Away-From-Chicago, November 10, 2007
Alex Riggle (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
I only lived in Chicago for 5 years, but I did pick up a taste for stuffed pizza. Heaven! This book, which I have had since about 1987, allows me to make "something like" out here in the pizza philistinia of Seattle. I'll never claim to make anything like The Nancy or my personal fave Edwardo's, but it isn't half bad.

Not sure about the tomato paste, though. Are we reading the same recipe? Canned tomatoes, chopped by hand (I use a pastry knife), all the way.

I echo the review that said you have to bake the crust a bit first to keep it from getting soggy. I've also done a bit of experimenting along the way, and think the sauce I have come up with improves on the one in the book, but any good cook should be willing to do that, I'd think. Tastes differ and all that.

Anyway this book has helped me keep my pizza sanity 1700 miles west of Mecca. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Restaurant Recipes, December 20, 2002
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
If you try these recipes, you will not duplicate pizzas cooked at Uno's, Gino's, Giordano's, etc. You will make a decent pizza (and I've had to experiment quite a bit to improve on Bruno's recipes), but don't be fooled into thinking that these are the real thing. And the basic deep dish recipe is just the same as the one you can get free at many sites on the internet. A better book is Evelyn Slomon's, but hers suffers, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Deep-dish Pizza Book Ever Written, February 8, 2008
Brian Groover (Frederick, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
If you want to make incredible (and authentic) deep-dish pizza, this book shows you in thorough detail exactly how to do it.

The first half of the book is full of pictures describing the processes of making deep-dish pizza in enough detail that someone who has never cooked a pizza can produce an outstanding pizza on the first try. The second half of the book is recipes from the Chicago pizza restaurants. It's hard to imagine the first half being any more clear, and the second half doesn't bore you to death with stuff you will know cold once you've read the first half and used it to make a couple of pizzas.

It is the perfect balance of educational detail and long-term utility.

I've had this book since 1983, the year it was first published. When I bought it, I loved deep-dish pizza, but hadn't a clue how to make it. I've used it to make more than a hundred different deep-dish pizzas, with never a flop yet. I've just purchased my THIRD copy, because I've used the first two copies until they disintegrated. My most popular is the Spinach-stuffed pizza, although the Greek pizza (with Kalamata olives, anchovies, feta and spinach) is my personal favorite.

One thing you won't find is innovations since 1983, but if you hear about something new, it's a snap to include it. It is the difference between learning a recipe and learning the theory. Get this book, and you'll be able to make the kind of pizza you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how you write a pizza book, April 11, 2008
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
At 25 years old and still going strong, this is the definitive book on making Chicago-style pizza. If you don't believe me, get on a plane and take the El to Pizzeria Uno on Wabash Ave (go to Due a block down the street if Uno's too busy), order a medium sausage, then come home and make "Deep Dish Pizza #1". I think you'll be pretty impressed by the accuracy.

But it's more than that, which is actually a bit of a shame given how it focuses exclusively on Chicago pizza. Where many books on subjects such as pizza are padded out with minor variations on a basic recipe, Bruno's book gives not only recipes but many pictures and technique discussions. Actual recipes in fact take up only about 40 pages of the book, with the real meat of the book being the two chapters that show detailed, illustrated step-by-step instructions for mixing the dough and making deep-dish, stuffed, and thin-crust pizzas, something that in a technique-heavy food like pizza should be quite essential. Pictures and profiles of the great Chicago pizza places of the day round out the book (interestingly, I'm pretty sure that Uno's pizzaiola Aldean Stoudamire, pictured in the colour insert, is the same woman that Jeff Smith referred to as "Mama" in The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American).

Not being from Chicago, I don't know if Pat Bruno is still working the food beat for the Sun-Times a quarter century after writing this book. What I do know is that although the book focuses heavily on Chicago style pizza with no discussion of Italian-style, New York-style, or New England Greek pizza, it still represents the gold standard for what a pizza book should be. The recipes are a tad outdated (I prefer instant to active dry yeast, which makes a bit of process streamlining possible) but perfectly usable, and the technique photos will never go out of style. If all you've ever had is deep-dish from the franchised Uno's Chicago Grill, well, that pizza's not bad at all, but it's not as good as the pizza you'll make out of this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT "Chicago-Style Pizza" Cookbook, rather general all style pizza recipe collection., June 6, 2012
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
Book title is: "The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook"
One would expect that it primarily contains recipes for Chicago Deep Dish Pizza (such as that served at Uno's, Due and Gino's East). Unfortunately this book only devotes a very small fraction of the pages/recipes to Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Most of the recipes cover New York Style, Sicilian, California Style, and other variations, often call by different names, I suppose based on the authors experience. Having lived in Chicago for over 12 years as well as New York and Los Angeles, I know that if you ask anyone in Chicago what Chicago Style pizza is, they will tell you that it is Deep Dish and direct you to Gino's East or Uno's-(which in my opinion is the best). Most of the recipes do not represent Chicago-Style, but styles from other regions of the country.

On the positive side, the book goes into detail on different pizza styles often found throughout the USA and defines the most common ingredients found in pizza. It is fully illustrated with black & white drawings. Plenty of attention goes into describing everything in the art of making pizza, which explains the books copyright of 1983 without any updates in almost 30 years.

My biggest gripe is the misleading title - I expected Chicago Deep Dish Recipes by the dozen and was left with less than a half dozen, with the rest of the recipes covering other common styles of pizza found across the USA.
Yes you can find these other styles in Chicago, but you can also find Chinese, Mexican, French, German and other regional cuisines, same goes for any major city across the country. Chicago Deep Dish is primarily found in Chicago and East Coast/Mid West cities with an Uno's Franchise. You will not find it in the Pacific Northwest, and the Uno's/Gino's East restaurants in Los Angeles closed back in the 1980's.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good to be back, May 5, 2003
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
As former Chicagoans who have been forced east into a pizza wasteland, we found exactly what we were looking for in this book! Yesterday we sat down to the first genuinely delicious pizza we have had in the last two years. The dough was delicious and the sauce was perfect. We can't wait to make more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow the Recipes and Stop Bitching, November 8, 2013
A. Fogle (Normal, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
This is a really great and helpful pizza making resource. I noticed that a lot of other reviewers said there were better recipes online, which undoubtedly in the vastness of the internet, there are. What people seem to discount it seems is how many spectacularly TERRIBLE recipes are around. I've made some nearly inedible pizzas with online recipes. Recipes so gut-wrenchingly disgusting that it wasn't worth picking the cheese off of the top.

With this book, as long as I've followed the recipes exactly, the pizzas have always turned out great. When I tried to substitute X type of flour in the crust, or skimp on rising time, ect., the pizzas were full of failure and sadness. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as when I just followed the freaking instructions.

One of my favorite features of the book is how it explains step by step on how/why the elements of the pizza (utensils, crust, sauce, whatnot) are used and made. By actually reading through this book and not just skipping to the recipes in back, I'd say my pizza-making skills have improved drastically compared to my previous, poorly-fated attempts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Expatriate Chicagoans, June 8, 1998
This review is from: The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook (Paperback)
Pasquale has brought to paper things that you have craved since you left the motherland (Chicago). He has personally investigated Pizza making techniques at many Chicago Pizza places. He has transcribed recipes that are so authentic that you wont be disappointed. History, techniques, and recipes all in one book. The recipes are so good, I am surprised he hasnt been sued for devulging the secrets. This book lays next to my Bible.

The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook
The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook by Pasquale Bruno (Paperback - April 1, 1983)
$16.95 $13.79